Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Favorite Call

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Favorite Call

Postby Swede » 10 09, 2020 •  [Post 1]

What is your favorite elk call and why do you prefer to use it?

For me it depends: If I am going to my stand and plan to make just one short call before I ascend the tree, I prefer the Berry Thunder bugle. It carries a long way, is very easy to make a quality sound and it takes no time to blow.
If I am going out calling to locate elk, I will take a palate plate medium diaphragm. There are several manufacturers that make quality diaphragms. I will carry a fairly short grunt tube. I just don't want to pack a large grunt tube. A diaphragm is more versatile than the Thunder bugle, but if I am going to be in my stand I don't care to have it in my mouth, or to mess with it.
I am no elitist. If it works I like it. If it doesn't, it goes in the garbage.
If I am hiking through elk habitat, I often use my diaphragm as a cow call. I give out a cow sound about every 100 feet or so. I don't blow on it a lot, but just enough to tell a bull in the area, I am just another elk feeding along. If I am moving though elk ground, I stay in the brush and shadows, so it is harder for a bull to see me from any distance.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Favorite Call

Postby Lefty » 10 09, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I can make any diaphragm work with a dome or raised pallet cow and some bull sounds with a tube.

I own and have used three different Primos calls.
The original pack bugle that was given out with an Eastmans subscription years back .
Then the original Primos Terminator and one other Primo blue reed bugle. None which are made anymore.
The why is they were easy for me to learn on and was very successful using them, I dont recall but likely I got them as gifts from my daughter while she had a discount at
Sportsman's warehouse.
I really like the pack bugle because it fit easily in my pack,.. but I have no idea what happened to it this summer so I pulled the bulb off ( and on, off and on) of one of the other Primos tubes.

I did purchase a Phelps Renade bugle, the last days of the season ,.. I just didnt use/need it
I do have a few of Jacobsens open reed calls for my daughter, she just doesn't use them; and of course a Hoochie Momma Sometimes its scary in the woods when an old cow sounds like that call
,.. I think my daughter hides them at home on purpose,

And I have a mess of who knows what that my father in law gave me,.. I should post them up and send them to some one that will use them
Now swede you lured me into this thread buy saying favorite call,.. Then restating after I opened the thread and you say elk call. Today I was going through my "call " box I have too many goose calls but really no favorites. Well one I like to use hunting,..but have no idea the brand,..
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 09, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Old Berry Game Calls for me, been using em since they came our early 80s? There is not a longer lasting reed out there. They’re a bit tougher to get the sounds out of (built so darn tight) but regardless, are my go to calls.

https://berryhuntingcalls.com/original-mouth-calls/
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby jmez » 10 09, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I use Glacier Country calls. They make several reeds and I have a bunch. Good clean sounds. Owner is a really nice guy and will send you sound clips. Loves to chat if you call him.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby DirtyErn » 10 10, 2020 •  [Post 5]

I use the Thunder bugle and Glen Berry reeds. I detached the plastic mouth piece from the tube so I can use both. I also put my bugle on a retractable lanyard, so I don’t have worry about where I left it and is easy to get too
DirtyErn

First Name: Ernie
Last Name: O

Postby Tigger » 10 12, 2020 •  [Post 6]

I use Wapiti River's The Patriot for my diaphragm calls. It stays in my mount all day long. For my bugle tube it is Elknut's Bugle tube. I figure if that bugle tube is good enough for Paul, it is good enough for me.

I do have a couple Rocky Mountain diaphragms as well and most of them are good.
Tigger

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 10 12, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I have a home made whiffle ball bat grunt/bugle tube. I tend to grab a handful of diaphragm cow calls from whatever manufacturer catches my eye when it's time to restock. Then I try them all and use whichever one I like the sound on.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 12, 2020 •  [Post 8]

The very best call is the one that works the very best for you! :o
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 10 13, 2020 •  [Post 9]

phelps diaphragms and elknut chuckler is my go to... i got a product this year called "the bugle mule" that is awesome too for carrying my diaphragms.... clever little product! goes onto your bugle tube
Roosiebull