Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Newbie success

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Newbie success

Postby Leatherneck » 09 25, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Hello everyone! I’m new to the site as well as elk hunting. I took up elk hunting seriously 3 years ago. I guess as serious as I can be at 51. Lol Anyhow, I’m a long time Bowhunter from Ohio and have harvested alot of great whitetail. I think I have found my new passion to chase the infamous wapiti. Came close the first 2 years but no arrows shot. Was able to seal the deal on the 3 rd day of our Colorado DIY hunt. A respectable 5x5 in this amateurs eyes. Have learned a lot over the last couple of years and will continue to educate myself. Hence why I joined here. Hoping to learn from you all. Any and all advise will be appreciated. I am addicted!!

I need to re-read the photo directions. File is too big.
Leatherneck

Re: Newbie success

Postby Swede » 09 25, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Congratulations Leatherneck and welcome to WT. Pull up a block of wood or camp chair and join in the conversations around the WapitiTalk campfire. Watch your coffee as Tigger has been known to drop an ant or two in an unwatched cup.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Leatherneck » 09 25, 2020 •  [Post 3]

97804847-CCA6-4DD1-9D8E-D9A989A4B673.jpeg
97804847-CCA6-4DD1-9D8E-D9A989A4B673.jpeg (586.87 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
Leatherneck

Postby Leatherneck » 09 25, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Thank you Swede! It was an awesome experience. Although I’m already in the market for a better pack. My 30 year old Marine Corp pack got the job done but I’m not 19 anymore and neither is my pack. Lol
Leatherneck

Postby Billy Goat » 09 25, 2020 •  [Post 5]

welcome to WT, and congrats on a fine bull!
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 25, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Hell of a first elk Mike. I packed more than a few elk out with an old Army Alice pack (builds character, lol). Welcome to the forum, glad you swung by. Pull up a stump by the fire and join in the conversations. Make sure you post your bull up in the elk photo of the year contest.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 09 25, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I still use my old Trapper Nelson wood frame pack. I have a Kuiu that gets the most use, but I took one load out this season with the Trapper Nelson. I have taken elk out with no pack, but don't anymore. Anyway you have a very nice 5X5.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 09 26, 2020 •  [Post 8]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Hell of a first elk Mike. I packed more than a few elk out with an old Army Alice pack (builds character, lol). Welcome to the forum, glad you swung by. Pull up a stump by the fire and join in the conversations. Make sure you post your bull up in the elk photo of the year contest.

How did you know his name is Mike? Why am I not invited to the meetings where we torture new guys to see if they have what it takes to hang out here? That’s it I’m going to live in the mountains with no internet signal!

That’s an awesome bull Mi.... I mean Leatherneck. Not only will he fill your freezer and give you memories but he’ll give you confidence for next year. That drive that’s so important because you KNOW you can do this. Welcome aboard and congratulations.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 26, 2020 •  [Post 9]

wELKome to the site Leatherneck.

First of all, at age 51, you are just a teenie bopper compared to old Swede. LOL!. And as far as that old military pack goes, If you put it on a 1606 frame with Molle belt and shoulder harness, you'll have a very good comfortable pack.

And most of all, you'll learn more in a couple of years bowhunting elk than you will in ten years with a rifle simply because you have to get close and beat the elk at his own game on his own playing field.

Congratulations on your bull. Keep up the good work.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 09 26, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Speaking of old geezers; where is Saddlesore? At my age I need to remember my manners and refer to both WW and Saddlesore as "Mister." When it comes to knowing elk hunting, there are a lot of us here that should call them "sir".
My special term of endearment for both of them is "jerk(s)". :D
Swede

Postby Billy Goat » 09 26, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:Speaking of old geezers; where is Saddlesore? At my age I need to remember my manners and refer to both WW and Saddlesore as "Mister." When it comes to knowing elk hunting, there are a lot of us here that should call them "sir".
My special term of endearment for both of them is "jerk(s)". :D

I've been wondering the same. I've been looking forward to another hunt report from him that boils down to:

1. I went hunting
2. shot a cow
3. mules hauled it out
4. eating it now

but sadly, havent seen it yet. Come on Vince!
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 26, 2020 •  [Post 12]

I think Vince (saddlesore) is in the middle of his smokepole season down in the Centennial State ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Leatherneck » 10 04, 2020 •  [Post 13]

Thanks everyone! What made this trip so awesome was my hunting partner is 66 and until January was in better physical shape than most 30 year olds. Well he got diagnosed with a brain tumor and had surgery, chemo, radiation, etc. well I tried to cancel this year and he wouldn’t have it. He said if I can walk I’m going. So this year almost never was. He struggled with the pack out (for good reason) but never quit. We love going out west just for the beauty and peace of mind. Getting an elk is just a bonus. Wish you all the best of luck the rest of the season.
Leatherneck