Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Hunting Patience

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Hunting Patience

Postby Swede » 09 24, 2020 •  [Post 1]

RJ got me to thinking after his post on another thread about having patience. His statement was that I have patience, and I do not deny it, but RJ for certain has plenty of patience. Every successful elk hunter has a fair amount of it.
The difference between the stand hunter and the person that as some like to say "runs & guns" is I only have one pace. The stand hunter will sit and wait until the time comes to strike. RJ is usually out for the same number of days I am and sometimes longer. The Lord can provide me an elk the first morning or the last hour of the last day. I never know, but I am seeing things more from His perspective I believe.

I have said, "the Lord does not give me an elk. He has given me the ability to effectively hunt." Well I am starting to see things differently these days. I recognize He does both.
I did not get an elk the first day again this season, but why not? Didn't I pray adequately? Did I not have enough faith? Or is there something else? I have been thinking a lot about that. I am getting older and most of my hunting seasons are behind me for sure, but I am still building memories. God is still working with me. Talk about patience.
I do not believe God intends for me to go out and just slaughter one of His elk. He has provided domestic animals for that. Hunting is a different proposition for true hunters. We learn and build character in our experiences. How we hunt and what we do shows us a lot about ourselves. It tells others about us too. That can be both good and bad. I know there are things I need to work on still, but I have gained much from my years of hunting including patience, and the ability to persevere even when things don't look so positive.
What I will say now is that God does not send me an elk immediately when I ask for one. He is omniscient, and He cares for me. I just need to trust Him and be patient. I just need to see more clearly from His perspective.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Elk Hunting Patience

Postby toolman » 09 24, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Wow...very well said...

Before, during and after prayer I have often thought this and also wonder how long...will today be the day?

I haven't harvested an animal since 2009...not from lack of time in the field as I Normally get about 10-14 days a year...along with plenty of scouting...
I've had a couple opportunities a year but I haven't been able to put it together...
I love the outdoors and hunting with my friends, kids and now grand kids...its really something special...

As I leave to go hunting today on a solo trip to end the season...I will say a prayer for safety, success and of course patience...
toolman

Postby Swede » 09 24, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Toolman, I will take time today to pray for your success and safe return. Remember the Lord said "I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." He won't abandon you.
Swede

Postby Billy Goat » 09 24, 2020 •  [Post 4]

sometimes, we learn much about God from our time on the mountains.

and scripture teaches us where those mountains came from (God).

I am thankful to have had time in the out-of-doors to spend (often cold) thinking about the "truly important" things of life. Where possible, I've made "big" life decisions in the deer stand, etc where I have lots of time to process, and really think about things.

Wanna hear something cool, Swede? the very day you shot your cow (Sept 20th, I believe), I got to baptize my 15 year old daughter.

both of us got to realize our prayers that day. In His time, brother.

shane
Attachments
amanda baptism resized.jpg
amanda baptism resized.jpg (64.71 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Swede » 09 24, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Knowing your daughter has received Jesus Christ as her Lord & Savior and has been baptized is more precious than all of the elk out there. Thanks for sharing Billy.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 09 26, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Genesis 27,3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

... their way they are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and
bring no fruit to ... but they are overcome by cares and wealth and the ...

See Swede: Prevents me from bragging or blowing money
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 09 26, 2020 •  [Post 7]

toolman wrote:,,I love the outdoors and hunting with my friends, kids and now grand kids...its really something special....

My father in law use to say
Why ruin a good hunt by killing something
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 09 27, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:RJ got me to thinking after his post on another thread about having patience. His statement was that I have patience, and I do not deny it, but RJ for certain has plenty of patience. Every successful elk hunter has a fair amount of it.
The difference between the stand hunter and the person that as some like to say "runs & guns" is I only have one pace. The stand hunter will sit and wait until the time comes to strike. RJ is usually out for the same number of days I am and sometimes longer. The Lord can provide me an elk the first morning or the last hour of the last day. I never know, but I am seeing things more from His perspective I believe.

I have said, "the Lord does not give me an elk. He has given me the ability to effectively hunt." Well I am starting to see things differently these days. I recognize He does both.
I did not get an elk the first day again this season, but why not? Didn't I pray adequately? Did I not have enough faith? Or is there something else? I have been thinking a lot about that. I am getting older and most of my hunting seasons are behind me for sure, but I am still building memories. God is still working with me. Talk about patience.
I do not believe God intends for me to go out and just slaughter one of His elk. He has provided domestic animals for that. Hunting is a different proposition for true hunters. We learn and build character in our experiences. How we hunt and what we do shows us a lot about ourselves. It tells others about us too. That can be both good and bad. I know there are things I need to work on still, but I have gained much from my years of hunting including patience, and the ability to persevere even when things don't look so positive.
What I will say now is that God does not send me an elk immediately when I ask for one. He is omniscient, and He cares for me. I just need to trust Him and be patient. I just need to see more clearly from His perspective.

Good stuff Swede! Hunting is such a weird blend of discipline, you need complete patience, but also need to know when to shift gears (my types of hunting) I will not call to a bull I don’t think I can call into spitting distance, I will not stalk in too close if I’m not confident I will kill that elk.. I will not put myself in an ambush position that won’t work... I will be patient when I need to be, if I know where they are, all I have to do is not mess up, and be patient enough to let the elk make the mistake.

I spent my first week this year just covering ground, learning what’s being used and what isn’t... at some point late week I built some strategies for the following days... had it not have worked out I would have started all over, and not been even a little discouraged.

I don’t pray for an elk, just the ability to hunt them... of course I want an elk, but elk are the byproduct of the opportunity being in the woods... that’s all I ask for.

A successful season to me is good execution of opportunities I get... often times being patient is the best execution, but also the rest, basically not blowing opportunities (last year wasn’t well executed, haha)

Fishing is the same... all wild harvest... the art of knowing when to be patient, and how... and when to not... the little details. I have been blessed with enough exposure to understand the little detail, but always a work in progress.... to the point of being a rookie in many regards... I love that
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 09 27, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Welcome back after a sabbatical Roosie. You get the situation completely. Confidence is knowing you have the skill and knowledge to get the elk, even when it seems things are all going against you.
Swede