Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Camp Antics :)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Camp Antics :)

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 1]

What kind of good natured pranks have you played on your hunting partners at elk camp? I know everyone has one or two good ones. Waiting on a trail and growling as they walked by? Putting a rock in their day pack and not telling them for a mile or so? Throwing a rock on the other side of them as they, umm, engage in their morning constitution.. You get the drift.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Camp Antics :)

Postby dotman » 12 17, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I'll be watching this one closely!
dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 17, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I always like the "let's hit two drainages and see who's home, then meet around midday at the trail intersection" ploy. More than once, I've layed in wait, just off the the trail for my buddy to come through. You don't really need to scream, growl, or anthing over the top if you're not feeling it.... Just shake some alder as he passes and perhaps, throw in the best tomcat howl you can... It's usually good for a "holy crap" freeze in place, response..... It's the suttle antics that I enjoy... quiet, unassuming.... they seem to get a memorable response. One must be carefull though as a retribution "prank" is sure to come your way during the hunt.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 12 17, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I alway know where all of the tree stand hunters from camp are located. If it is handy, it is fun to slip in close but out of sight of where one is waiting. There I start doing some assorted elk calls. Back at camp when everyone is sharing how their day went, and that tree stand hunter starts in on his herd bull with cows story, I can fill in the missing parts or finish up for him. If it is real early in the season then I argue he is hearing things, as the bulls don't have cows yet.
Just remember the old addage: "What goes around comes around."
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby a3dhunter » 12 17, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I would rather not reveal my secrets....
a3dhunter

First Name: jason
Last Name: mcbride

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 17, 2012 •  [Post 6]

a3dhunter wrote:I would rather not reveal my secrets....

Don't suppose any of those secrets may include spraying the slightest bit of cow estrus scent on someone's pack now would they :D Thought I'd heard that somewhere. Heard it from a friend of a friend who knew somebody who had heard it from somebody. :roll:
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 12 17, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Pulled on me 15 years ago in rifle camp.
We had two bulls in camp. Onebull was mine so I was off looking for coyotes and deer.
Bright sunny day Im back at camp in the early afternoon worn out , too tired to eat or drink, I just want to lay in the sun and sleep.
My nephew brings me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Somethings up,.. He not that nice of KID :shock:
I took a bite of the sandwich and this big clot of blood seperates at the bite. I act like Im too tiried to go after him.
Minutes later its game on and he is running for the pickup screaming like a little girl. He locks the truck door and smirks, but I beat
him to the passenger door,.. which was unlocked.
I pulled the 16 year old punk out and tossed him in the wet muddy slushy puddle As he scrambled I put my boot in his back and pushed him right back down.
Last fall at his wedding roast his brothers retold the story, The story seemed so much better than I remember
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 17, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Lefty wrote:Pulled on me 15 years ago in rifle camp.
We had two bulls in camp. Onebull was mine so I was off looking for coyotes and deer.
Bright sunny day Im back at camp in the early afternoon worn out , too tired to eat or drink, I just want to lay in the sun and sleep.
My nephew brings me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Somethings up,.. He not that nice of KID :shock:
I took a bite of the sandwich and this big clot of blood seperates at the bite. I act like Im too tiried to go after him.
Minutes later its game on and he is running for the pickup screaming like a little girl. He locks the truck door and smirks, but I beat
him to the passenger door,.. which was unlocked.
I pulled the 16 year old punk out and tossed him in the wet muddy slushy puddle As he scrambled I put my boot in his back and pushed him right back down.
Last fall at his wedding roast his brothers retold the story, The story seemed so much better than I remember

All I can say is "wow". Good thing he was your nephew or I fear his face would have been down in that puddle till a few bubbles came up. That definitely is over the line of a good prank.. Yikes.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 12 17, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Good jokes are fun for everyone including the one it is played on. The blood sandwitch is too much.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby a3dhunter » 12 17, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Phantom16 wrote:
a3dhunter wrote:I would rather not reveal my secrets....

Don't suppose any of those secrets may include spraying the slightest bit of cow estrus scent on someone's pack now would they :D Thought I'd heard that somewhere. Heard it from a friend of a friend who knew somebody who had heard it from somebody. :roll:

I hunted solo almost all of last year, and it was the first year I didn't buy elk estrous scent spray! :D
a3dhunter

First Name: jason
Last Name: mcbride

Postby Waygoner » 12 18, 2012 •  [Post 11]

We take turns with evening meals in our camp. I did a stir-fry one year and for desert we had fortune cookies. I got a box of cookies from the grocery store and carefully opened the bag. I pulled out all of the fortunes and replaced them with some "new" ones. I sealed the bag/box up just like it was new. Nobody had a clue what was going on until the 1st fortune was read. We laughed so hard we cried.

A put a drop of estrus juice on my brother's bugle one time. He nearly lost his breakfast when he put it to his lips.
Waygoner