Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wyoming Bull Down...and another, & another

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wyoming Bull Down...and another, & another

Postby Indian Summer » 09 16, 2020 •  [Post 1]

First bull of the season for my guys. Hunt plans really do work! Solo bow hunter in an area he’s never seen before. Only took 2 days so I guess he can either do some in season scouting or do a little fishing.

He needs a Clip Shot.... bad!
Attachments
CC05B464-77F4-4C7D-9D5C-ADEB8113C58D.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Wyoming Bull Down

Postby 7mmfan » 09 16, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Fantastic!
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 16, 2020 •  [Post 3]

If your client is happy, everyone is happy! Congratulations to him. Good job!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 16, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Excellent. Congrats to the lucky hunter!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby toolman » 09 16, 2020 •  [Post 5]

2 grouse arrows and only 3 broadheads...now that is confidence.

but i guess it only takes one!

great job.
toolman

Postby Lefty » 09 16, 2020 •  [Post 6]

All right solo hunter
Toss in some kittens puppies 3 rd graders and we have a winner

Didn’t work out for me today Just too hot
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby lilshootergirl » 09 20, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Nice looking bull! He's so grayish, then reddish! Pretty color! Congratulations, enjoy rest of your time!
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby Indian Summer » 09 21, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Just got quick hunt report via Garmin Inreach. Another hunter got to his base camp on Wednesday around 12:30. Basically a half day to hunt. Before the end of the dat he drew his bow on a nice bull at 20. Branches in the way. He glassed 2 other herd bulls that day too. A great start! Before the end of the next day he was drawing his bow on another bull. Looking forward to hearing from him again after about a week of that. The area he’s in is one I love to hunt. A network of big ridges. Lots of vantage points to call and glass from. It’s a place that has bigger bulls and better bull to cow ratios than where I’ve been hunting and I keep telling my partner Tom we gotta get down there sometime. I have 2 hunters in basically the same huge area as him but coming from way south. They’ve hunted their plan and kill a bull before so they’re more familiar with their hunting spots and I’m anxious to hear from them too. Up to the minute hunting reports get me excited to be leaving soon myself.

If you haven’t already bought an elk point in Wyoming you have until the end of next month.
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 09 21, 2020 •  [Post 9]

And another bull down. Got a call from a Wapiti Talker after work. A nice 6 point bull on the morning of the final day of hunting. These guys really over came some tough obstacles and barely scratched the surface of their area but were persistent and got it done. Give it a minute and I’ll see if we can’t get a hunt report with some details.
Indian Summer

Re: Wyoming Bull Down... and another!

Postby Indian Summer » 09 25, 2020 •  [Post 10]

This bull hit the dirt today. Came right in. Most of my plans are from General license units but this one was a draw unit. A dandy!
Attachments
1AE6DBFF-E292-43EC-B8D0-295FD13D53C1.jpeg
Indian Summer

Re: Wyoming Bull Down... and another!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 26, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Great bull! Congrats to the hunter.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Wyoming Bull Down...and another, & another

Postby Indian Summer » 09 26, 2020 •  [Post 12]

This bull was taken by a hunter who has used his plan before. He said the last three days got tough with wind gusts up to 40mph. That makes the elk lay low when they can’t hear or catch the slightest scent or sound. But before that happened they saw 8 bulls and he took this 5x6. Prior to this him and his partner have been hunting in Montana using a plan they bought after they burned their Wyoming points last time. They did really good up there and so they kept hunting it until they had 5 points in Wyoming. So we were able to help another hunter who only had one point draw a license this year. That kid is out right now with his dad who isn’t hunting in an area where gun hunting started today! Bulls are still bugling up there so I’m anxious to hear if that boy has any luck. His dad told me that he has talked about hunting elk since he was 8! So he is at the top of the list of hunters I’m rooting for this year. His name is.... Hunter. So say a prayer for the young man real quick if you would.
Attachments
D6A1E5AB-4F5D-45C2-ACC6-0D1C396E522B.jpeg
D6A1E5AB-4F5D-45C2-ACC6-0D1C396E522B.jpeg (339.97 KiB) Viewed 6165 times
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 09 26, 2020 •  [Post 13]

These are some very nice bulls you have sold plans for? I assume all these hunters have average or less than average elk hunting experience, and live out of State. Congrats to all of them.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 09 26, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Yes Swede all guys from the east and a few from the midwest. Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Tennessee and Nebraska. I did sell a Montana plan to a guy from Colorado a few years ago.
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 09 26, 2020 •  [Post 15]

One from the Maryland guys. He had been on 1 elk hunt previously. It was guided. This was his first diy hunt. An interesting story I hope you’ll get to read about soon.
Attachments
2C78E9FB-B49F-49BF-A695-E8ABB61BB1F1.jpeg
2C78E9FB-B49F-49BF-A695-E8ABB61BB1F1.jpeg (333.98 KiB) Viewed 6160 times
7128D4DE-D22E-448E-B212-A33F75CAC56A.jpeg
Indian Summer

Postby Dbllung » 09 27, 2020 •  [Post 16]

Maryland hunter here. I have been on 2 diy hunts and my buddy has been on 1 guided hunt.
As Indian Summer has already stated, my partner and I bought a plan for Wyoming this past year. My desire was to get back from pressure so our destination is approx 6 miles from base camp.
We arrived at the trailhead on Sept 11th in time to set camp and shoot bows. Our strategy was to hunt close to camp the first day or so. After an 11 mile hike we decided to hike in the 6 miles to the first spike camp in the morning . While hiking that first day I realized I was drinking far more water than John. Hmmm!
Now, the second morning we started on our way, John began dealing with blisters and cramps. In addition, the hike in was taking a lot longer than we anticipated. We finally arrived at the first spike camp. Once there John began dealing with severe cramping, headache and dry heaves. He was really scared and I knew we couldn't stay there overnight. So we packed everything up and hiked back in the dark. The next morning a visit to urgent care in town confirmed severe dehydration. I suspect elevation played a part as well.
We had to come up with a new plan. We had an idea or two but I sent Indian a text asking if he could talk. He immediately replied. I explained the situation and that we didn't feel confident going in as planned. He suggested I call him in the evening to discuss options close to base camp. After a lengthy discussion over maps and OnX we had a new game plan.
The next three days we glassed and chased some elk from just off the road but no encounters. On the last morning of our hunt we were discussing our afternoon plans when my buddy said he heard a bugle. I didn't hear anything but he was sure. He got his tube out and let out a bugle. Clear as day I heard a grunt followed by chuckles right above camp! It was like a Chinese fire drill! We got our packs and bows and devised a plan.
We bugled one more time to get a better bearing on his location. It should be no surprise he was at the head of a big drainage full of blow down. Although the thermals were in our favor, I knew they would switch in the next hour or so, so wee went past that drainage and headed up parallel so we could gain elevation without being winded. At about 500 yds, we waited for the winds to settle and the thermals to stay consistent. Everything was dry and noisey so when I thought we were approx 250 yards from the bull I made cow talk as we approached. At about 200 yds he did his grunt, chuckle. Now I knew exactly where he was. We kept moving and he let out what I thought was a round up bugle. Then I thought about elknut talking about bulls calling the cows to them. It was then that I realized I had a real shot at calling him in. I hadn't bugled since I was about 400 yards away and I was getting ready to use that to my advantage. As we got to within 100 yards John went 30 yards farther up the hill. At this point I picked up a branch and started raking. That got his attention! He got up and grunted & chuckled at me. I fumbled for my tube and responded with my own grunt chuckle. That got him raking! I kept raking and then I started panting/heavy breathing in my tube. He didn't like that a bit. He gave me the nastiest, meanest grunt, chuckle I had heard until I cut him off with one of my own! Here he came! Bowling over saplings and blow down like it wasn't even there! He came around the head of the drainage so he could approach at my level. Once at my level he started ducking limbs coming straight at me. When he was at 25 yards I came to full draw. That's when I heard the release and the arrow hit home. The bull had passed John at 15 yards! The bull stopped, not knowing what happened. Then he toppled over 20 yards from me. The bull was dead in his bedroom at 1:09 pm! What an amazing hunt! Many of you know the feeling when everything comes together when it just doesn't seem possible. It is the most incredible feeling I have had in all my years hunting.
I must say, after John got sick, I wasn't sure what the rest of the hunt was going to look like but Indian Summer came through when he didn't have to. He called me back while he was at work, talked with me that evening about alternate plans and told me to call again if I needed anything. That my friends is customer service! If any of you is on the fence about purchasing a plan I assure you it is worth it!
Attachments
21306.jpeg
21306.jpeg (199.25 KiB) Viewed 6112 times
Dbllung

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Hogan

Postby Billy Goat » 09 28, 2020 •  [Post 17]

glad John recovered, and yall got that stud bull.

well done, gents.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Indian Summer » 09 28, 2020 •  [Post 18]

I’m glad we were able to put something together for you guys that John was able to handle. I’m also glad that you at least got to scratch the surface of your original plan so you know what you have to look forward to next time. Imagine what’s back there if you can kill a bull like that near the road! No competition at all further back the drainage either.

It’s your partner’s turn to call now. All you need is a license. We’ll work on that. Thanks again for having faith in me!
Indian Summer

Postby Dbllung » 09 28, 2020 •  [Post 19]

Joe that is exactly right. I had confidence going into this hunt because of the time you spent with me on the phone talking through the entire plan. You are also right that my buddy needs to call one in for me. I think I will buy him a little gift in an elknut playbook and videos. You know, an investment in my future hunt!
Dbllung

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Hogan

Postby Tom Grates » 09 29, 2020 •  [Post 20]

I am lucky enough to call Joe my hunting partner for the last few years. During those few years I can also attest to the knowledge Joe has to offer on elk hunting. I started about as green as a person could get on elk hunting. I do hunt way more than the average guy when it comes to whitetail (bow, flintlock and rifle), and I also spend a good bit of my time on a trap line.
My first year bull hunting (last year) I was able to harvest my bull on the last day we where to be there. Joe took the time trough out those 10 days to not "show me" but to make me learn. Every minute of the day was a lesson, leading up to my final evening hunt.
If you are on the fence about a hunt plan, I would suggest that you jump off and dive in. It is a worthy investment taking years of self learning and putting you right into the elk herds.

We leave in less than two weeks to begin my second bull hunt in Wyoming, to say I am pumped would be an understatement.
Tom Grates

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 10 22, 2020 •  [Post 21]

Joe! What's happening with your WY hunt? Haven't heard a peep since you headed west.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Tigger » 10 22, 2020 •  [Post 22]

I am a'feared the elk turned on Joe. They banded together and bum-rushed him. Not sure how many he took with him, but I am super worried he got hisself squashed by elk hooves.
Tigger

Postby Old school » 10 22, 2020 •  [Post 23]

I’m thinking both he and his partner have yuge bulls down and it’s taking them nearly a week to get them packed back to camp.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Swede » 10 22, 2020 •  [Post 24]

I am thinking he is taking a huge number of pictures so he can hopefully win every monthly photo contest. You photographers here had better get ready.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 10 22, 2020 •  [Post 25]

thanks for the read dbllung It was nice to have Joe out of the room for a while :lol:

Swede made a good observation,.. more pictures Joe
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 10 23, 2020 •  [Post 26]

Yeah, I forgot how hard it is to get the toddler, the puppy, and the American flag set properly for a picture.

Although I still think there is a good chance the elk formed a large group and bum rushed him. :lol:
Tigger

Postby Swede » 10 23, 2020 •  [Post 27]

Tigger wrote:Yeah, I forgot how hard it is to get the toddler, the puppy, and the American flag set properly for a picture.

Don't forget the girl with no scratches or bruises, in her swimsuit trying to look like a forest Rambo on the hunt.
Swede