Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What is happening!!!! Write it up

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What is happening!!!! Write it up

Postby Lefty » 09 06, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Elk hunters please take moment to record or journal your elk hunt. Maybe the written story, pictures and video.
My wifes grandfather put together his lifes history. Life in the wilds of Box elder county, Utah ranching as a kid. How as a 5 year old kid, he provided the daily meat for two families of sage grouse, rabbits or sharp-tail grouse with his favorite branch from a sage brush. Or getting rich from picking up waterfowl the market hunters killed in their desert ranch

My wife typed up my mothers life story. My brothers, nieces and nephews thought it was the greatest gift ever.
And I have my English paper of my 7th grade Saskatchewan deer hunt. I paid $40.00 of my paper route money for my first deer tag, in 1970
My fatherinlaw has a 400 page life story , that , well, you would need to tone it down as a manuscript of adventure and misadventure for an action packed movie.

So hunters, I encourage you to write down or speak to your computer . Put together the story of this years hunts.
And it doesnt need to be the story of the kill to post on here,.. just your experiences

So a tidbit from last week as boring as I can make it,.more red current berries than Ive ever sen, plump and bright red,.. and bitter. My daughter finding raspberries, and what in the world, strawberries in September!
Me: sicker than a dog should be,.. maybe 8 hours of hunting from Sunday evening till Friday. Or the split eared doe that was going to be camp neat,.. walked
And Andrews fear,.. he wants nothing to do with the grizzlie that's killed 32 calves the past weeks and the feds and ranchers cant find it. Hes in camp before dark 8-)
And the bear that came sneaking in,.. but crashed down the timber to get away,.. or after 45 minutes on stand, I called it,.. as all three of us started o the next location,. the bull,,,,,,,,,,,

IMG_2957.JPG
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: What is happening!!!! Write it up

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 06, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Pretty slow first week over here lefty. They have been talking a little bit in the morning and evening. Actually more then I thought they would. We have being mainly sitting water holes and saddles. It is super hot and dry. I had a spike come in the other night at 50 yards. I wish one of the others in my group would of been sitting where I was. I'm really hoping to get a big bull this year so the little spike man just walked on by. We will have a drop in temperature the next few days an we hope it brings in some good stuff with it. Good luck to all
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 09 13, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Sunday,the 6th Monday and Tuesday was filled with home duties, dealing with the mess the storm left. Yard garden and pasture work and prep for the rest of the week hunting. Plenty of puppy, granddaughter and nap time. My wife left me,,, with her sisters to Yellowstone.
Wednesday the 9th I headed back up to camp. Im feeling way better than last week, but still worn out. The reginal storm made for a lot of new blowdown. We had 30-40 inch green stump blown down or broke off , even in camp. I set up camp,..took another nap.
I had moved slowly through some nasty-nasty blow-down and saw enough fresh elk sign that felt good . I made two 45 minute stands. Then up to the ridge. My daughter caught up to me late. We were only able to make one good calling location. I knew I had to start heading back. While Julie ran off looking for deer on the way back towards camp.
Thursday early AM we made a number of good call locations without any responses Julie had to be back to pick up her daughter from school and headed home at noon.
Early Wednesday evening I glassed into some primo locations. And on the way in twice I ranged single does,. One at 16 yards, the other time at 6 yards. Both deer got a pass; the thick undergrowth prevented any possible shot.
I hung around outside listening for bugles, then sound asleep by Wapiti talk curfew (10:00).
Thursday up and about, glassing and listening. Late morning I took the ATV in as far as I could legally then hiked in. As I was sitting down just yards away a doe rose from her bed and began to sneak away. I was close to an elk bedding area, the wind was good and consistent I sat for 20 minutes before I started calling,.. After a long stretch of being vigilant I decided it was safe for a nap.
Last year at this location, unbeknown to us the herd moved into a different grove. We worked the bedding area, Then took a nap,.. While Andrew had been sleeping a bull had slipped in completely upwind of us. I was unaware the bull was there until he snapped a branch, and I turned, the bull completely ID ed me and left. Quickly.
I called from one other area. The wind had eased more westerly. Which ment I could walk miles before I could start hunting. Or head on out with only one other calling location. I jumped a doe. Walking a powdery trail,.. a single smaller wolf track,.. yep a single wolf. The track showing here-and-there. A bit further a forky, skittish. While watching the little buck a badger came out of the quakies, totally ignoring me just feet away,.. Then directly down-wind some loud crashing,. Moose? Elk? . No moo cows were suppose to be in the pasture; I want to go with elk, mostly because I don’t think moo cows or moose would take off the fast.
An old stock/beaver pond had to be skirted. As I got away from the pond a three point deer slipped away tight where I had walked.
I walked up a ridge for a little better vantage point. When the wind was better how would we call from the willow thickets. Then I hiked back to the ATV and to camp. A great Rueben sandwich, Called my wife, she was bragging about the bull elk rutting and bugling around her at Yellowstone, so and decided to try for a little 4x4 buck near camp, and listen for distant bulls. Nothing.
Early light I walked behind camp to listen into a canyon. Then full light, then sunshine,..
And I dozed off,
A bugling bull!!!
And I was wide awake,.. the sound was a distant truck horn,..
I checked out a few places and headed home, laundry, happy wife, puppies, restock and headed up tonight
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 09 13, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Its like a giant bonfire outside its so smokey. Nothin happening. Tried to call in a lion today. Fail. May have scored some sweet emphysema though.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 13, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Slow second week in our area. We called in a rag horn and needed 4 more steps to have a shot. I actually cost us that one. I was the primary caller and I was running on about 2 hours of sleep. I stopped calling because I was pretty much done with the setup, I stopped right when I needed to be the one calling. My brother in laws were shooters in this set up and I guess the bull turned to leave so the one gave a few cow calls and the bull came back but they needed me to call and I might have been napping at the time. I guess you could say I was sleeping on the job but I cost us that one. My brother in law had a small 6 point bull that went 25 yards from him yesterday with 3 cows but it was in thick stuff and had no shot. It is so so dry where we are at is been hard. We have tried ground blinds but I think next year we will pull out the Swede and get in the air and out of the wind a bit more
Elkhunttoo

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 13, 2020 •  [Post 6]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WSNCzrE-lQM

I'm not as good at writing it up as lefty
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 09 16, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Good video that beats writing

Took a long time to get to them I babysat a cow from 35 yards wondering where her boyfriend was
Sure was hot and Smokey

They were really talking on my way out tonight
Lefty

Postby SpikeChaser » 09 16, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Posted this is a different thread earlier but it seems more appropriate here:

I headed out opening day before dawn and made it to the edge of a clearcut I had scouted earlier as the sun came up. With barely enough light to see I spotted a big grey brown spot about 100 yards away. I got out my glass and I realized I was staring at a big bull with his head down eating. I keep glassing and spot 6 or 7 cows nearby. I have to admit that I got a little shaky at this point. The bull looked to be a giant spike just beginning to branch but it was hard to tell for certain. Just as I was getting a better look, two of the noisier hunters you'll meet came up the trail behind me and the elk took off. I didn't even mind because seeing those elk so close within 10 minutes of hitting the trail had me all but convinced that I was taking a bull sooner or later.

I spent about 10 hours that day creeping through thick timber hoping to sneak up on a bull. Fresh sign was everywhere. Shiny wet piles of scat, untouched scrapes, wallows, rubs. The air smelled like a combination of BO, goats and urine. I knew for sure I would see a legal bull soon enough.

Around 8 that morning, as I'm walking along an old logging road cow calling, I hear something grunt back at me from inside the timber. I call again. It talks back. So I call again. Now its moving in my direction and in a hurry. My heart stopped at this point but I wasn't shaky this time. Instead I dropped to one knee crouched beneath the brush line and grabbed a broad head from my quiver. I can hear the animal try to circle around to the side of me just behind the brush. It pauses. I nock an arrow and give one last call. 5 seconds later a curious doe pokes her head out from behind a thicket of alder and blackberries before seeing me drawing back my bow and disappears into the timber. My heart sank but I felt the most positive and wild feeling imaginable after having such a close and intense encounter with a wild animal. I'm hooked.

I haven't hunted much since opening day because I planned to focus my effort covering ground and calling closer to the peak of the rut. With things being the way they are in western oregon right now, I'm praying for rain. When things open back up I'm gonna take the Swede route and wait it out in a tree. Or try my best to. I can't say I won't be tempted to chase a bugle if I hear one.
SpikeChaser

Postby Lefty » 09 17, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Quick up date
Watched a lone bull go into the quakies right as I came in view just a couple hundred feet of a mile away
Made some calls who wants in . Then at 1:00 change of plans

I’m refueling
Showering at camp and dropping down in

And some refreshing new my wife and granddaughter I coming up Saturday
Hope get them in on some action
Lefty

Postby SpikeChaser » 09 18, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Spotted a nasty 5x5 bull about 80 yards out on a clearcut at 10 this morning. He was tearing the place apart. That was exciting! Got him to walk about 10 yards my way with a cow call before he got hung and slowly walked back toward the timber. Probably watched him for almost 10 minutes.

After reading you guys' advice I decided to find a decent place to wait for a bull to walk on over my way. At first I was gonna take the Swede route and buy a tree stand. After a bit of research I realized that I knew next to nothing about them and I was maybe just a touch afraid to mount and climb and tree stand alone in the timber.

After thinking a bit more I decided on a ground blind, especially with the heavy rain here. After picking up a decent trail cam and a blind I headed back out to my spot.

I hiked about 1.5 miles into the boonies then popped into some thick timber along a creek and found a spot that always has fresh prints from multiple elk. Placed the camera about 10 yards back and concealed it pretty well. I'm hoping it's still there Monday when I can come back to check.

My blind is set up in between a few trails with lots of elk scat, near the edge of a clearcut where I've seen elk. I brushed it in a little. I plan to come back around 4 tonight and stake out the place. I know they are moving through often so I've got my fingers crossed.
SpikeChaser

Postby Indian Summer » 09 19, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Good luck! Don’t let your top bow limb hit the blind. I’ve seen that send arrows into the dirst. Tree stands are easy. You really should try one. Buy one with a big platform. Safer and much more comfortable.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 20, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Got a shot at a really good bull last night and shot over his back, this one will sting for a while :(
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 09 20, 2020 •  [Post 13]

Wow what a week last week
I am still not able to put in many hours a day or a whole Lotta effort still kind of hung over from whatever sickness I have I wanted to blame, the smoke, allergies, cold.

Thursday was more than a bit exciting as I tried to sneak into a basin, I jumped a nice white tail buck at 5yards: little bit further and a bull screamed at me, I think he thought I was a girlfriend it wasn’t a very good location however. But here we were both in a quakie thicket he was less than 90 yards away I gave a soft mew, because I figured he heard me hiking down the trail.

I played with him and a bunch of cows with three other bulls way too long. I had a chuckler. three chuckes every time, well almost.
Then the squealer , he made sounds ive never heard before,
one bull deep and raspy only replied twice all evening, I suspect he was the herd bull, And then the forth bull who seemed to stay 4-500 yards away.
Soft news , light raking the bulls would not leave the cows. I did have some cows get in closer 45 yards; Maybe these me? another bull sounding in the distance and they all headed his way about 500 yards towards the single bull. I got on the trail again traveling through some quakies as quick as I’ve ever seen in my life; an inch or two in diameter inch 6 inches apart or so it seemed. a heavy duty trail walking through the center.
at 35 yards I couldn’t see the bull bugling

I set up in the best location I could find at the bottom of the canyon, a small beaver Meadow. I could hear bulls raking grunting making all sorts of crazy sounds; the cows were closer.
Elk are 90, 70, 50, 40, yards away, I can’t see any of them just the tops of trees shaking

I gave a soft mew.
Wow that was a bad sound, , a ripped laytex.
I actually pulled another diapham out of the packaging from my top left pant pocket.

A soft mew with the new call;

In our camp we had an agreement to shoot the first brown .

The cows were talking. One cow perfectly sounding like Primos Hoochie Momma

I have cows; 11 yards over the berm with only her nose and ears insight. A cow calf wig only there heads above cover, for kicks I range them at 13 and 17 yards. 37 yards and hoochie momma behind a fir at 33, she knew I wasn’t an elk
my excuse for not shooting, is it was a mile and a half and 800 feet to the trail And none of the shots were clear. so the ladies got a pass .

Friday morning I watched as bulls sparred in two different canyons. Good wind

I called to see if I could have somebody back to hunt today. Nobody was available, so I headed home did laundry and repacked came back up for the night.

Andrew came up at midnight.
5:35 AM it started raining.the mountains covered in rain and clouds. I dropped down 1800 feet and list for bugles in a tight nasty creek bottom
Mid afternoon my wife , daughter and granddaughter came up.
We made a few easy deer hikes. 5:00pm a bit more rain and stormy5:30 we go for it

We drop down into a small basin, the winds were swirling bad. Our first call location looked good but nothing.
30 minute walk to the next location. The winds were better, but the locations Quakies leaves had dropped, so it felt open,

With 45 minutes left of shooting we dropped down. Set up for a cold call, Julie and Andrew had great shooting location. But nothing.
Then a mile hike as it got dark and the sage brush attacking our legs

Today was Sunday; so just take it easy. My granddaughter chased chipmunks. Spotted the 3x3 milie just out of camp. And in the thickets the 5 yard shot wasn’t possible.
Everyone went home I’m staying at camp so we’ll see what happens tomorrow.

And for some other good news :
the last puppy has a home,
the three angus Holstein cross are someone else’s problem at got over. $1.00 a pound
And400 geese on the neighbors planted wheat
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 09 20, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Whew sent with two bars
Lefty

Postby 7mmfan » 09 21, 2020 •  [Post 15]

Sounds like a good time lefty. Happy to hear of rain falling in that area.

My Dad and I did a bear hunt yesterday. Hiked into a secluded alpine basin full of blueberries. I have glassed bears in this basin from afar many times and was very confident we'd find them in there. Started hiking at 4:30 am, left the trail to start climbing at 6:00, and were on the edge of the first avalanche chute at 7:30. We took our time creeping through opening after opening, wading through blue berries. Oh did I mention it was foggy and raining? So we were literally WADING through soaking wet blue berry bushes. Thank goodness for good rain gear, still ended up wet. Boots were squishy wet, could have dumped water out of them. Made it to the top of the basin where I can glass the large opposing open hillside that is comprised of all blue berry bushes, and sat tight for several hours, just glassing and waiting for the inevitable bear to show up. He didn't show up. We began our descent well before dark because it's a pretty nasty climb down. Took a slightly different route and discovered some deer hidey holes in the avalanche chutes. Deer densities in this area are very low, so to find a concentration of sign like we did was encouraging. I may visit this spot later in the year once the foliage starts dropping. Crossed the creek and back up to the trail, then a nice 2.5 mile jaunt back to the truck by headlamp. Got lots of miles and vertical in getting our legs ready for Idaho in a few short weeks. Pretty sure my feet are still pruned up.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 09 21, 2020 •  [Post 16]

I have a lot to write up for sure, but I got in only an hour and a half ago. I'm beat but happy. :D Things were very slow this season, but I finally got a large and very fat cow yesterday. I will post pictures later. I feel blessed as the opportunities were few, and the camp next to where I was is still looking with no elk in game bags yet.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Billy Goat » 09 22, 2020 •  [Post 17]

great hunt update Lefty, and congrats Swede. I've been dying to hear more updates.

I leave in 11 days for 1st rifle. My dad + 2 friends are bowhunting as I type, so elk is about all my brain is processing right now.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Swede » 09 22, 2020 •  [Post 18]

DSCN0490.JPG
Swede

Postby Swede » 09 22, 2020 •  [Post 19]

This season I hunted steady from the opening on 8/29 thru to 9/20, except for 9/02 when I relocated camp, and for one trip to town for groceries a few days later. I shot the cow in the picture above on 9/20. There were few elk sighting this season and none had worked out.
I had one close encounter with a small herd about a week before I got the cow, but the lead cow got nervous. I think she saw me, but since I did not move she just backed out and left without offering a shot opportunity. It was getting discouraging, but I kept getting up and going to my stand.
On the morning I shot this cow I had been in my stand about an hour and a half. It was cold to just be sitting, so I was bundled up. I also had a camo shirt on and a camo vest, not shown. The cow came in silent and alone from behind. I was rather startled when I looked below my stand and saw her just standing there looking down the draw in the same direction I had been watching. Since I was high above her at a sharp angle, I did not have to worry much about being seen, but had to move quick and be silent. I removed my gloves and laid them in the seat of my stand seat and folded it back. I took my bow off the hanger and with significant effort drew it back. It is harder to draw a bow when you are cold. Your muscles just don't work the way they should.
I came to full draw just as she moved forward and went behind a young limby White fir tree. She just stood there so I had to let down. That is always a concern. It is easy to make noise and spook the animal. Fortunately everything went well, but no sooner than I let down, she started to move forward again. This time she turned and was going straight away. It was decision time. I center punched her in the spine. She froze in place but turned. That is where I shot again and dropped her as you can see in the picture.
My brother called me this morning and informed me that the boned out meat is 208 pounds
Swede

Postby Billy Goat » 09 23, 2020 •  [Post 20]

dang Swede, thats a lot of tree sitting, but I'm glad it was fruitful for you in the end. Glad you were able to put one in the freezer. that looks like a big cow, and at 208#, is a big cow.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby 7mmfan » 09 23, 2020 •  [Post 21]

Good work Swede, that will be a lot of tasty chewing over the winter months. I have to admit, I wouldn't have the patience to sit in a stand that much, even if I knew It was likely my best chance at success.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 09 23, 2020 •  [Post 22]

Often when a summer herd of elk comes around, there is a spike and/or a rag horn in the bunch. In years gone bye, I would choose to shoot the small bull and pass on the larger cows. I don't do that any more. My choice now is a fat dry cow if there is no real trophy opportunity available.
I think it was Elkhunttoo that said you need the patience of a trail camera to be an effective tree stand hunter. I can wait all season if needed. I think it is easier and more effective than running all over the country tooting a bugle and wasting my time that way. :D
I will have to admit, that this was a long hunt for me and I was wondering when it would happen. I had several encounters with no shot opportunities. The pattern of the elk in my hunt area is for them to come around about once a week or ten days, with sporadic chances in between at an individual like the one I shot.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 23, 2020 •  [Post 23]

Swede wrote:This season I hunted steady from the opening on 8/29 thru to 9/20, except for 9/02 when I relocated camp, and for one trip to town for groceries a few days later. I shot the cow in the picture above on 9/20. There were few elk sighting this season and none had worked out.
I had one close encounter with a small herd about a week before I got the cow, but the lead cow got nervous. I think she saw me, but since I did not move she just backed out and left without offering a shot opportunity. It was getting discouraging, but I kept getting up and going to my stand.
On the morning I shot this cow I had been in my stand about an hour and a half. It was cold to just be sitting, so I was bundled up. I also had a camo shirt on and a camo vest, not shown. The cow came in silent and alone from behind. I was rather startled when I looked below my stand and saw her just standing there looking down the draw in the same direction I had been watching. Since I was high above her at a sharp angle, I did not have to worry much about being seen, but had to move quick and be silent. I removed my gloves and laid them in the seat of my stand seat and folded it back. I took my bow off the hanger and with significant effort drew it back. It is harder to draw a bow when you are cold. Your muscles just don't work the way they should.
I came to full draw just as she moved forward and went behind a young limby White fir tree. She just stood there so I had to let down. That is always a concern. It is easy to make noise and spook the animal. Fortunately everything went well, but no sooner than I let down, she started to move forward again. This time she turned and was going straight away. It was decision time. I center punched her in the spine. She froze in place but turned. That is where I shot again and dropped her as you can see in the picture.
My brother called me this morning and informed me that the boned out meat is 208 pounds

Nicely done John, what time is dinner? You sir, have the patience of Job...no trout about it.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 09 23, 2020 •  [Post 24]

RJ, if you stop by here I can show you the whistlers I removed from the cow. They are very colorful, but I have no meat yet. My brother is doing the butchering over in eastern Washington. It will probably be late October before I see any of it. Anyway if you don't get one, you can stop by for a wiener for now. I hope you and Joe score like you did last season.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 23, 2020 •  [Post 25]

Congrats to you Swede. I went up again this morning for a morning hunt. Don't start the slow play when you are in a hurry. I tried just slowly moving while doing in and the bull came in but saw me before I saw him. He still stayed around a bit. Had him at 70 and then again at 64. I just should of set up and been patient but I had a kids soccer game to get home for. I made it for the game but no elk
Elkhunttoo

Postby wawhitey » 09 24, 2020 •  [Post 26]

Tuesday morning i was heading up to go lion hunting. About 5 minutes before i lost phone signal i got a text from a friend that his buddy just killed a bull down in a steep ugly draw, so i turned around and went to help. Havent even got a chance to hunt elk in several years due to work, so it was fun just to get my hands on a dead bull. Nice 6x6. Man theyre big animals. Packout kinda sucked. Not all that far, but uphill and pretty steep.
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 24, 2020 •  [Post 27]

wawhitey wrote:Tuesday morning i was heading up to go lion hunting. About 5 minutes before i lost phone signal i got a text from a friend that his buddy just killed a bull down in a steep ugly draw, so i turned around and went to help. Havent even got a chance to hunt elk in several years due to work, so it was fun just to get my hands on a dead bull. Nice 6x6. Man theyre big animals. Packout kinda sucked. Not all that far, but uphill and pretty steep.

You’re a good man mister, hope you got a few pieces of elk to gnaw on.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 09 24, 2020 •  [Post 28]

He offered me a quarter, but i dont need the meat. Just went to help cause thats what you do.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 09 24, 2020 •  [Post 29]

That is the kind of friend you need to get even with when you get an elk down in a canyon. Good for you not taking part of his elk.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 29, 2020 •  [Post 30]

wawhitey wrote:He offered me a quarter, but i dont need the meat. Just went to help cause thats what you do.

Atta boy!!! When I knock mine down tomorrow can I get your number ;).

Oh so close today, tomorrow it is time for the Hail Mary. Wish me luck
Elkhunttoo

Postby wawhitey » 09 29, 2020 •  [Post 31]

I dunno, just washed out my pack after giving 3 bears and sn elk backpack rides this year. Looked like something off a horror movie all that blood going down the bathtub drain.
wawhitey

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 02, 2020 •  [Post 32]

Elkhunttoo