Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Do you hunt the same area every year?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby eltaco » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Generally speaking, do you go back to the same location every season?

I've realized that once I find an area, I'm hesitant to leave it. If I find good success, I tend to spend all of my free scouting time trying to better understand the area and how the elk use it. While I think this is generally a good idea, the theory didn't serve me well last season when the elk weren't using the area as had been normal for previous seasons. I spent the vast majority of my season trying to make something happen, although I knew there were only about 1/3 as many elk in the area as I normally encounter. It wasn't until I had gone through great frustration that I realized I had placed all of my eggs in one basket and didn't have a SOLID plan-B area to retreat to.

On a normal season, I feel that I have my area dialed. We have a good amount of close encounters and generally have greater success than the other people hunting our immediate hunting area. That said, I learned a valueable lesson last year (200%+ over average snowfall), that I need to be willing to leave the area if the situation dictates.

Just curious if you typically go to the same area every season, or if you have a handful of spots that you try to hit each year?
eltaco

Re: Do you hunt the same area every year?

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Yes, I tend to be drawn to the same spots every year because I know I've encounter elk. I do however pick a couple new spots to hunt. Found a lot of good hunting area's this way.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby N5J » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Yes...usually...BUT always open to check out other areas in the unit. We always go back to areas where we killed elk or seen elk first. Depending on wolf sign and activity, If it doesn't pan out we expand to surrounding areas.

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Yes, but we have 30 of them! (grin) No way do I ever put all eggs in one basket! In most cases we rarely ever hit the same area twice in consecutive days unless we've taken an elk there & we know we left them un-spooked & feel it's ok to do so! We generally though are in a different area every morning! You have to have a wide range in order to do this though!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Arapahoe » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I have good areas I go back to,but generally I like exploring different mountain ranges in colorado waiting to draw a LE tag.
Arapahoe

Postby Elktracker » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 6]

When I rifle hunted I hunted the same area year after year and every year I learned more about the area every year and the Elks habits in that area! Then I started bow hunting and the area I hunted is closed durring bow season :(. I am now embarking into new area near my home that is opened and hope to stick with it untill I can make the area productive year after year by knowing the area and how the Elk move in it.

Josh
Elktracker

Postby easeup » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 7]

no....that would be a luxury for me. the NR tags are more difficult to get so that in itself busts up many repeat hunts.
easeup

Postby POk3s » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Yes, been hunting the same elk area every year since before I could hunt. Attached to my dad's hip and then onto the rifle years and now the past 5 years have been with a bow, then rifle if I don't tag out. I, however, am walking farther and hunting longer then anyone else had previously in our hunting party. If I don't fill my tag with archery tackle, then I have a GIANT leg up on everybody else that floods into the area because I'd already been hunting those elk for a month. I enjoy trying to fully understand the area I hunt and I truly believe after 9 years of hunting it with tag in pocket, and tagging along with my dad before that....I'm starting to really figure it out.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby wideangle » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 9]

We may hunt the same two units, however, we move around to new base camps based on weather and hunting pressure.
We tend to stay in areas where there are less roads and steeper terrain.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby mlauber » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I am located in Georgia so I have to hunt long distance using Google Earth to do some of my scouting.

I hardly ever get to draw, or hunt the same place twice from year to year.

I use the services of a outfitter to pack me in the back country. I spike out after that & though I haven't harvested an elk... I sure have learned a lot more about them by covering ground.

Every year I do a DIY style hunt on my own...pack my gear & leave it all behind after I get dropped off. I have called in some bulls & cows. Hard game for me being I only get a once a year shot at it.

I am addicted to it this style of hunting ,& the reward s from being on my own in the back country for 10-15 days is awesome!

I wish I lived closer to the elk , but I have been blessed with great experiences from the good Lord above....it is so awesome to bow hunt these animals!!!

I know my time is near... I passed on a bull at 12 yards last year.. I probably shouldn't have as I have not taken a bull yet. Been learning the hard way by making mistakes, & letting them walk... I have been holding out for a good bull....patience is a virtue... but darn if I am not going to sling one in the brisket this fall!!!

I like the new adventures in a new place, but the one draw back for me is if I don't put the pieces of the puzzle together quickly I have to punch tag soup.

I just can't see myself using a guide... got a lot of sole left on these boots of mine to do this on my own!

;) ;) ;)
mlauber

Postby elkmtngear » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Not this Season....going to a new DIY OTC area, much closer to home (Eastern Oregon).

I've been obsessing over Google Maps, and had an area in mind. Walked in to my local Archery Shop this Morning, and started talking with the owner, and told him the general area I was looking at. "Hell, Dwight Schuh and I used to hunt together in that area all the time years ago" he said. "Bring in a map, and I'll show you exactly where to go"

Needless to say, my topo map is ordered, and on the way!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby westaner » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 12]

i always go back into my known areas. after 13 years the same elk use the same spots! Ive got over 50 herds figured out ,and try to scout out 3-4 new ones a year. Ive learned to have plan a-z if too many hunters.
westaner

First Name: K.C.

Postby Goneelkn » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Co Archery, first week i have a lease on 2400 acres but i get around that property. Then rest of season it's off to the national forest, wether i got one or not. Then it depends on the pressure. I do have some honey holes there, but like to explore.
Goneelkn

Postby slim9300 » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Yep. Our MT honey hole is only about 4 square miles (what we generally choose to hunt) and until the day comes when the hunting is poor, there is no reason to give it up. :)
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 06 17, 2012 •  [Post 15]

The area I hunt is a high hazard for a catastrophic fire. I return year after year now, but have other places I have hunted and scouted.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics