Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Frontal shots on elk, when to take it.......

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Frontal shots on elk, when to take it.......

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 19, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Morning all. Each year, on WapitiTalk and other hunting forums, I always see discussions/questions surface about the lethality of frontal shots on elk (and other big game animals). Yes, it is a valid shot/addition to your tool kit and has its place if one understands elk anatomy, and, IMO, is used as a short range shot (under 25 yards) particularly when using archery gear. Here is an excellent article by Aron Snyder from a handful of years ago. It's well worth reading and reviewing the angle shots presented in the images.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/live-hunt/2011/07/bowhunting-tips-when-take-frontal-shot/
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Frontal shots on elk, when to take it.......

Postby Swede » 08 19, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I think Aaron should have added you need ice water in your veins. This shot is not for rookies staring down their first bull. There is just too much to consider. Well, maybe he covered that with item #1. Maybe I was just more direct.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 08 19, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Swede wrote: This shot is not for rookies staring down their first bull. ,,.

My first bull elk was shot with a 39 yards frontal, he took a side step I fired and he hit the ground dead. I have killed a lot of game different ways and have butchered and skinned lots of furbearers and just know where things lay in the body of most animals
My Idaho rifle bull was at 53 yards. Basically no blood with a bullet.
My daughters archery deer was 22 yards. My daughters deer I think every drop of blood was on the ground

Just dont shoot too high with a rifle, I guess a bow would be the same, a gut mess :o
If an arrow misses bone it will go quite a ways in the chest cavity.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 08 19, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I think Aaron was talking archery. My first bull was a frontal shot with a rifle. That is a whole different matter as there is enough kinetic energy to go deep even if you hit bone. A 50# or 60# bow is much more limited. Even Aaron's 80# bow is not carrying the energy of a decent elk rifle.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 08 20, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Only with a rifle for me but to each his own. I know I’ll get a better opportunity than that.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 08 20, 2020 •  [Post 6]

The whole aim small miss small comes into play. Once an arrow gets into the cavity it can do a lot of damage

Julies bow was in the mid #40's I think her arrows are 26 inches. and somewhere around 370 gn
the shot was at 18 yards with out ribs it was poking the far moose hide

2016-10-08 09-14-33 (Small).jpg
2016-10-08 09-14-33 (Small).jpg (217.51 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 08 20, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I know I’ll get a better opportunity than that.
My dad pounded that into our heads too,..the shot will generally appear with a rifle
Lefty

Postby Swede » 08 20, 2020 •  [Post 8]

As we can see Julie made a great shot on the elk. Light tackle can get the job done if we manage our shots while limiting the distance. Because of my accuracy, I would rather have Julie's 18 yard shot with her 45# draw and a light arrow, than an elk at 60 yards while shooting Aaron's equipment.
I have had frontal opportunities and waited until they turned. If they move three inches you can go from a good bullseye to disaster. An elk can move a lot more than three inches in the time it takes an arrow to fly twenty yards. I am not saying never take a frontal shot. I have just not found one I liked. I see them coming into water, and they almost always give me a side shot opportunity. I do not want to move while they are facing me. Elk can see movement even up a tree. One particular elk I remember in particular was 30 yards out, but relaxed. Since it had no idea I was around, it felt safe to wait. I did and it died.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 20, 2020 •  [Post 9]

In the late 90's early 2000's I passed this shot up several times. I swore I would never take it and it was just a bad shot. With more research into it it is a shot I will take now but it has to be the perfect storm. I have seen enough frontal shots on YouTube and other sources to see how effective it can be. I've also drawn on a 6 point bull at felt I was to shaky because of holding still so long in the cold that I passed the shot because I didn't feel I could make an ethical shot at the time. Same with the frontal. If a person knows there limits and stays within them you will be fine as long as you know your target.
Elkhunttoo