Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Apprehension

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Apprehension

Postby Swede » 08 18, 2020 •  [Post 1]

What has you nervous about the upcoming season that will soon be on us?
I have several things on my mind: This virus has changed things a lot and I am concerned there will be a lot more hunters in the woods this year. These hunters if they show up will be newbies. I would expect they will disturb the normal way of things then soon go back to whatever they were doing before the hunting season started. Some are unemployed so they may stick around, but most will leave after a few days of discouragement.
It has been unusually hot and dry this year. That could change the normal routine of the elk. I have no idea where the cattle will be on opening day or for the remainder of the season for that matter. A few cows don't bother me, but a massive invasion sure will spoil things.
I have checked and double checked everything, and believe I am about set to go. I am going to leave the rest up to the Lord. He has advised me not to be anxious about anything, but He did not promise me an elk either. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Apprehension

Postby 7mmfan » 08 18, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Planning a full on assault into an area we've only e-scouted and looked at from a distance. Going to spike in and I'm worried about going in basically blind. It will be fine though, always is.

The midweek elk opener has be befuddled a little. The rest of the group only has deer tags and the schedule was easy up until I snagged this elk tag. Go early and lose valuable elk hunting days, or go later and miss the opener... hmmm....
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby saddlesore » 08 18, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Mostly if fires will close my hunting area or the smoke will be so bad, I can't hunt
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 08 18, 2020 •  [Post 4]

The thought of passing up bulls then seeing them in nightmares after getting skunked. :shock:

Other than that I’m as calm as a cat sleeping in the window.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby opie » 08 23, 2020 •  [Post 5]

This is my first year hunting after a four year hiatus. All previous hunts were not successful (in terms of bagging an elk) but much was learned.

This year, I've spent a lot of time e-scouting, studying hunt strategies, and have done two in-person scouting trips to get a better lay of the land. I've been practicing my shots with my bow and I'm going to get it tuned at the pro shop this week. My elk calling technique needs some work, but other than that, I feel I'm reasonably prepared.

My areas of concern:

1. I wish I had a good hunting partner. Past experiences during rifle season were mixed. They were nice guys, but more interested in drinking around a campfire then hunting. Given I'm hunting solo, I'm concerned about quartering an elk for the first time alone and then hauling meat on my back for miles.

My plan for the elk is to bring plenty of ice and leave it in the truck in a cooler. Each trip back to the truck (5 potential trips), I'll put the quarter on ice when I get it into the truck. I'm also going to use my delorme to message non hunting, outdoorsy friends who might be available to come out and help.

My plan for finding a hunting partner is to continue to engage in on and offline communities. I'm putting it out there: hunt partner wanted. Must be serious about hunting, agree to NOT discuss politics, and be an ethical/moral hunter. I don't care what religion, color, age, sex, or gender orientation you are but you need to have respect for the earth/animals/wilderness or we're just not going to get along. I don't expect that I will find a hunting partner this year, it's too late. But I'm open to next year. I'm hunting OTC archery in Colorado GMU 15 and 2nd season rifle in Colorado GMU 231.

2. It's been so hot, I'm worried my intended hunting area is too dry and the elk will have gone higher-up into alpine areas. My targeted hunt area is roughly 10,000'. I'm going to come up with a plan B and plan C this week, but I won't have time to do much beside e-scout those areas.

3. I'm a little nervous about backpacking miles into the woods and the risk of wildfire. The woods were extremely dry during my last scouting trip, it's a tinderbox. Still, I feel it's a relatively low risk.

4. For a number of reasons, I didn't apply for my OTC archery tag until August 13. The website said it would arrive within 14 days. It's now been 10 days but given the situation with delayed mail, I'm worried it won't arrive in time for my first planned September hunt. I plan to leave on August 30 so I'm in position for opening day.
opie

Postby Indian Summer » 08 23, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Having a good partner is at the top of your list and that’s where it belongs. There are too many reasons to list why a solid camp/hunting partner is beneficial. Your criteria for a partner is a carbon copy of what I look for. If a person doesn’t respect the animals or the land there’s no way we’ll last. I see the small signs too.... one candy bar wrapper on the ground or a mention of taking a risky shot and a guy would be on his way out the door. But the idea is to weed those kind of people out before they even make it to camp. In my opinion it’s tough to do that online. People know how to act and answer questions on the internet or phone. But once hunters are on a mountain living and hunting together and being pushed to their limits the true colors always shine through. I’ve hunted with two guys from the internet. Believe me I did my homework but nevertheless they turned out to be terrible and were the worst hunts I’ve ever had. Never again! So I would suggest looking closer to home. At work. Friend of a friend maybe. Remember nobody is perfect so sometimes you might need to compromise.

As far as fires go I wouldn’t worry at all. Do a final check a week or a few days before you hunt and you’ll be fine.

With respect to the license... they know you need it. You’ll get it. If not know your CID number and better yet if you can take a screenshot of your receipt and go hunt.

I don’t know about keeping ice at the truck. Better have a really good cooler. Wrap it in a sleeping bag and cover that with a tarp. I’d rather drive to town after packing the first quarter out and buy ice then. Dry ice if possible.

Your bow will shoot differently after it’s tuned so you better get on that! Good luck!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby js80138 » 08 23, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Opie I know 15 very, very well. If you need any general info I would be happy to offer any advice on the area. I also would be happy to help you pack out any harvest. With the current weather situation on the western slope it would be a terrible shame to have the meat spoil. One caveat is that I may not be here for most of the season due to my business. The length of time I may be gone is dependent on the location of the double hurricanes making landfall and the severity of the storms. PM me and I will give you my phone number and email.
js80138

Postby Swede » 08 23, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Best wishes Opie on your hunt. I hope you find a lifelong hunting partner that is reliable and as enthusiastic for hunting as you are.
Swede

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 23, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Swede, you needed to attend the webinar, you'd have way more confidence than concerns regardless of amount of hunters! Just saying! :D

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 08 23, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Thanks Paul. I know I would enjoy the webinars, but I have not figured out how to engage there. I suppose internet service is all I need to watch, but I could not participate. It would be like Youtube for me. I know you have educated me a lot on some important matters. I think your sharing about set-up when calling was the biggest. I have learned to apply some of that same principle even when I call near my tree stand. Even the tree stand hunter needs to remember an elk knows precisely where you called from.
Something I have learned as a tree stand hunter is how long it takes many elk to come in silently. I see them come in, and hang up looking at the location I called form over an hour earlier. I had that happen again last year.
I don't know if watching Paul's webinar would keep me from being a nervous Nellie. That is just a part of me. It is like me giving you guys crap. It is just there. :D
Swede

Postby Lefty » 08 23, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Maybe Im bummed out I haven't been in the real woods because the ATV has been n the shop for 3 weeks

Im almost starting to panic. Our puppies will be 6 weeks tomorrow,.. and we have three beef and a dead market, I wantthose cows gone before the season.
We have a closing on a house Wednesday,.. a remodel project home.
Its not that Im a trophy hunter, but in the past I pass up on a lot of elk opportunities , even smaller bulls. The past few years as I learned to call elk quite effective , my goal was for my daughter to get mature bulls.
Then my wife has been after me because we haven't killed an elk for the freezer. Our summer didn't go as planned, Covid killed our Alaskan cruise and trips to Yellowstone. An my wife came up with a lame reason after another that we didnt backpack,. and even more flaky I had a new sleeping pad , which she never took out of the package, which means she plans to return it .
My trail cams are sitting beside me ,.. what the heck,.. most years they have been out nearly every day since April

I do have a few things t look forward to. Im will be hunting tribal lands for waterfowl with a new pup and maybe a Montana small game.

This year Ill be at camp 5 or 6 days at a time , Its almost embarrassing
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Stykbow14 » 08 23, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Opie, I sent you a PM. I'm in the same boat and hunting the same unit and have the same concerns! We've killed a few elk and I can't imagine getting one out alone! My boys and friends can't join me this year. First time solo. Have hunted 14/15/231 for a few years. I have a mulie tag that I'll try and fill first and then transition to elk. I'll be there the whole month of September. Get up with me if for no other reason than exchange info. I'll be happy to help you get one out!
Stykbow14

Postby opie » 08 25, 2020 •  [Post 13]

Thanks for everyone's feedback and support. PM's responded to.

Happy hunting and good luck everyone!
opie

Postby TennMatt » 08 26, 2020 •  [Post 14]

I'm on board with several of opie's points.

I'm hunting a new area (CO 371), solo, back country style without stock... Two scouting trips completed have allowed me to ID locations to camp, areas on the mountain that I think elk might be using, create a few plans of action, and ID areas where I simply could not hope to pack an elk out alone.

I'm not very nervous about fires since I think it will snow some by October. They might actually push animals around be of some benefit.

IS - good idea on driving to town for ice after the first trip out with an quarter.

Be safe this fall.

Matt
TennMatt