Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Hunt is coming up; reminder to self, don't forget to .

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Hunt is coming up; reminder to self, don't forget to .

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 17, 2020 •  [Post 1]

What are some items that you have forgotten, or, things you have forgotten to do before you departed for previous elk hunts? I'm talking those "holy hell, I forgot my ________ or forgot to _________ before I left items. I know we all pretty much operate on some type of physical checklist that we update each year, but, the best laid plans seem to always have a fault or in this case, a forgotten item or not doing something that you needed to prior to departing. OK, let's hear em……

On a past hunt I have forgotten ________________________________, and/or, forgotten to do ______________________________ prior to heading out.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Hunt is coming up; reminder to self, don't forget to

Postby Tigger » 08 17, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I havent forgotten, but getting an ATV permit for the state seems to slip my mind every year. which reminds me.....
Tigger

Postby Swede » 08 17, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I can't remember. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 08 17, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:I can't remember. :D

Old age,..
Or the warden cant know!

Om sure there has been something. But really I cant thnk of anything.
Over the years Ive done hundred of 1-5 nighters hunting and trapping. I kind of know what I need

Now water-fowling I left my gun at home, but I was less than a mile away.
Didnt bring 10 gauge shells , $26.00 a box 10 years ago,.. never forgot them again :oops:

I did mess up once. ( OK Swede nows your chance) My daughters moose hunt; I passed on a nice bear. I was too focused on a moose
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 08 17, 2020 •  [Post 5]

I have passed on deer and bear many times, so I will not get after anyone for doing the same.
I passed on five bears one morning a couple of season ago. One was huge, and I thought about killing him as he was broadside at 20 yards. Maybe he will be bigger this year. I have a tag, but am not excited about shooting a bear.
I left my GPS at home one time. I went into a Bi Mart ad got another. I used it and gave it to my grandson.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 08 17, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Two years out of the last 3 it was”Holy hell I forgot the angle kit for the tent frame!” That will NOT happen again. Ever! I’m leaving the angles in Wyoming after this year’s hunt!

Other than that I’ve done pretty well. I have a written list. Yes the f#€!&n angle kit is in the list!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 17, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Indian Summer wrote:Two years out of the last 3 it was”Holy hell I forgot the angle kit for the tent frame!” That will NOT happen again. Ever! I’m leaving the angles in Wyoming after this year’s hunt!

Other than that I’ve done pretty well. I have a written list. Yes the f#€!&n angle kit is in the list!

:shock: That’ll screw up forward momentum.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 17, 2020 •  [Post 8]

License, tags, weapon/ammo, knife, tp/wipes... everything else is a luxury ;)

And I take plenty of luxuries, seems like I'm always forgetting something. My worst one was I left my gun in the place we were parked after a long day of hunting :o . We were in a hurry when we got back to the pickup to get back and help some other friends get ready for their hunt. They were borrowing a horse from me. It was already after dark when we got back to the pickup. I leaned the gun up against my pickup tire :o . Opened the door, grabbed something to eat out of the back of the pickup and then took off. 1 1/2 drive home, helped the friend for an hour. It's already well past midnight. Opened the pickup to grab my stuff and as I looked in for my gun I remembered leaning it up against the tire. Ran in the house and told my wife I was going back and took off... luckily it was right where it dropped and had no damage....stupid stupid stupid
Elkhunttoo

Postby Indian Summer » 08 18, 2020 •  [Post 9]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:
Indian Summer wrote:Two years out of the last 3 it was”Holy hell I forgot the angle kit for the tent frame!” That will NOT happen again. Ever! I’m leaving the angles in Wyoming after this year’s hunt!

:shock: That’ll screw up forward momentum.

Yes but only for about 20 minutes. Long enough to fire up the chainsaw and cut 3 lodgepoles to set up old school. But no internal frame to hand clothes etc. that sucks. But it looks nice!
Attachments
09B77EBA-C2C4-432D-8C92-C967C8AC4204.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 08 18, 2020 •  [Post 10]

I need to get my MT licenses still... Thankfully they're very obliging with the Montana Native Come home to hunt program.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C