Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk tactics....video version

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk tactics....video version

Postby Beendare » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Well the video guys are taking a page out of RJ's 'What would you do" playbook.

It looks like many of the video hunting guys are doing a "Lessons" series....and I think we benefit. Chris Roe did a bunch of well produced instructional series...but now Elk 101 and Randy Newberg have vids out analyzing their hunts....and of course the rest of the guys like Born and Raised will follow along. They provide content with more hits...and we see tactics and mistakes- a win win.

This one by Cory Jacobsen is pretty good. Worth noting....I've been telling the guys I hunt with and guide for years those elk can hear you walking [patterning your footsteps] for a long ways out...and thats exactly what happened in this vid....and also in one of Randy Newbergs latest.

Post up the good ones!
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Re: Elk tactics....video version

Postby Swede » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Interesting and fun video, but I will point out that there in not a person on this forum that would admit they would have taken that shot in the brush. Camera angles are deceptive, but I have to believe Donnie is an excellent shot placing an arrow in just the right location where any variation off of perfect could have meant Big Trouble.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Beendare » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Well the shot is a whole different subject...or maybe not.

I've taken long shots that when my buddy who was calling came up and looked at it....he said "No Way". ...it didn't look possible.

In this case "the brush" was a small pine tree....and I'm going to give the shooter the benefit of the doubt there was an opening there he could plainly see.

The shot brings up many different subjects....the main one being stopping an elk. He stopped him....but not in the exact spot he wanted. I've done that with multiple calls....and it sometime works...sometimes doesn't....but what it does ALWAYS do is get that bull to make you instantly....and that is almost never good unless its inside 20 yds.

Elk don't move like whitetails ...or even worse, Axis deer...but they will move. I've had an elk I stopped at 50 yds totally dodge my arrow. He came in to a decoy, caught the scent stream and me at FD stopped him with a call- then shot. He was gone when the string went Twaang.

I used to shoot 3D all summer [not this summer!] but we wound shoot through holes in the brush...and tunnels through the trees. I've shot mule deer over a rise where I could just see the top of his back....and a hog this summer with my recurve on the other side of a berm...both shots...I knew my arrow was going to drop in there. The recurve shot was especially satisfying as my buddy saw it and was amazed.

Bottom line Swede, you bring up a good point....but if a guy knows what his equipment will do in those situations...its money.

I sure wouldn't have wanted a forward opening mech head on my arrow on Donnies shot....

_____

_____
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 12, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I enjoyed the VID (watched it last night). I particularly liked the thought process at each step along the way (not proceeding until wind/thermals are considered, direction of travel of the elk, terrain, tone/mood of the vocal elk, etc.). Corey of course is second to none with his calling, and, Donnie drew and made a killing shot on a second's notice. Ya, I'm not sure of the exact view/path of the shooter at the bull once he stopped as the camera angle is oftentimes offset from the actual shooter's view, but he obviously had a clear shot and made it happen. What always amazes me is how these cats are able to drag a camera person around with them in the elk woods and still get shot opps on elk ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 08 12, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Lets face it; some people are excellent shots, and what would be reckless for me, is for them quite doable.
My son's friend can center punch a deer at over 80 yards. My limit is 40 yards and then only if the conditions are just right. Wind is the biggest bugaboo I have and will bring my limit for distance down.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics