Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Ways To Mess Up

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Ways To Mess Up

Postby Swede » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 1]

What are some ways you have unwittingly spoiled a chance to kill an elk you were hoping for?

I think I could write a book on this, but one of the mistakes I have made several times is moving at the wrong time. I got up without knowing the bull was looking right at me. I have moved thinking I was protected by the brush and trees surrounding me. I thought moving in my stand was above their peripheral vision. The point to understand is if you can see the elk's head, unless it is facing directly away, it can see you.
Another common mistake I have made is calling in a bull only to have it hang up because I was set up wrong. Call from locations where the elk must be within shooting range when if comes into view. Vegetation and terrain can all be used for cover. If you can't find cover then move toward the elk after you call, but before it comes into view.
Another mistake I have made is over calling when I should have stayed quiet and stayed put. More calling is not always the answer. Elk are in no hurry. They are curious, but they take a lot of time to come in on occasion. Calling from a tree has demonstrated to me that they may take over an hour to show up.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Ways To Mess Up

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Just moving my head to take a quick peek has busted me several times.
Elkhunttoo

Postby 7mmfan » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Where should I start? These are the two that usually get me though.

- Not moving when I should have.
- Moving when I shouldn't have.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I could definitely write a whole new version of that song 50 ways to leave your lover.

Make a new plan Stan. Slip off a tree Lee. Got the wind at your back Jack. :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Well the first two years
Not following the elk when I could have easily done so,.. not understanding .
Shooting ports should be on all fours sides of a blind.

I got to watch two huge bulls slowly mosey down wind at 14 yards

"Always use your range finder "Jon W.
Use the correct pin.
And some bulls just know how how in·com·pe·tent I really was One bull let me shoot over his back at 33 years then 27 yard then 22 yards
Preparing for every possibility because he wont come over the rocks. :lol:

Dont over think it
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Beendare » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 6]

OMG, I've done them all...or at least myself and the guys I've hunted with have.

Moving when calling...or when someone else is calling for you.
Watch some of these guys in the woods- friends or youtube...they are moving their billed cap from side to side like they are in a restaurant. Those elk can pick off movement 100 yds through thick timber. I've been calling for guys and with the bins seen elk hold up scanning for any movement....and pick them off. They never saw the bull with their naked eye.

Sneaking in; These elk can pattern your footsteps from 200-300 yds out...I've seen that a few times. I was on a 360 bull in Gila in NM- at 20 yds, but he was surrounded by cows in thick cover. They were literally right up against him like secret service agents. No shot. It was super quiet and I could hear other hunters cow calling and then trying to sneak in....so could the elk.

Last year I had a heck of a time calling solo with my recurve....and without my trusted decoy....I did have the heads up though. I either drew too early and couldn't hold with them coming in slow...or after waiting for them to clear, they caught me drawing and one jumped the string at 28-30yds....perfect shot but caught him in the ham bone with 3" of penetration and bounced out.

I had one where I tried to call and move in to change locations.......but was busted moving.

I've come to the realization, I need another caller..... or a decoy setup...or something to distract them especially when solo.

_____
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 12, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Most of my "ways to mess up" mishaps always boil down to patience for whatever reason. I'll really be put to the test this year as Joe and I have prepped and plan to sit a few tree stand sites (in between our typical hole dives) this Elktember. We'll see how I do with it ;)

Indian Summer: "Make a new plan Stan. Slip off a tree Lee. Got the wind at your back Jack. :lol: " :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby CMF » 08 12, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Well last year was my first elk hunt, but
Got too close
Didn't get close enough
moving

Got too close to a bull bugling in his bed and jumped him up

I didn't get close enough to a bull before challenging him. he got he up and took his cows over the ridge.

Got busted trying to get a range on a cow before the trailing bull got to an opening and they all busted out before I could even see the bull.
CMF

Postby Tigger » 08 12, 2020 •  [Post 9]

started off a calling sequence without an elk sound. that one still stings. thanks for bringing back the memory!

Didn't notice my shooters had stopped and snuck right to them leaving us clumped together.

saw some unspooked cows slipping by about 75 yards away. Repositioned. Bull showed up where we were before.

Boomeranged between bugling bulls. Should have just stuck with one.

This thread is not a feel happy thread! :x
Tigger

Postby BrowTines » 08 16, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Count the ways!

The wind shifted or the direction of the wind was unanticipated. I have gotten better at this over the years but the wind is always a fickle thing.

Didn't know enough about calling early in my career. Listening to Elknut has upped my game.

Came unglued when an enormous bull rushed my position at point-blank range, head-on - just let an arrow fly out of self-defence, didn't aim.

Not learning from the first experience; I falsely assumed the head-on encounter would never happen again but another bull can head-on and I didn't know what to do (Fortunately, I did learn and on the third episode I was ready - bull down).

Didn't provide sufficient tutelage to new hunters before setting up.

Gave up on scenarios that I would not do so now - sometimes you just have to be creative.

Went on too many death-marches from one empty valley to another, instead of spotting elk.

Pressed the elk when I should have backed out. Backed out when I should have pressed.

... the list goes on and on.
BrowTines