Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Doings

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Doings

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2020 •  [Post 1]

My son and his friend discovered two unusual spots that really have me scratching my head. Both are very large areas, 80 ft. by 100 ft. where the ground is beat to dust. It appears it is only elk pounding these spots. It is just powder there. One has a spring and wallow in it and the other has a small pond just a few yards away. I have never seen such a large area beaten out the way these places are. I do not think they are mineral licks. Do any of you have any experience with this kind of elk doings, or ideas why such a large area is beat to deep dust?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Elk Doings

Postby Lefty » 08 06, 2020 •  [Post 2]

When I hunted the desert nearly every water tank was loaded with elk romper rooms. I have some good pics , somewhere?

Even tanks that hadn had water for months were heavily used. The calves tend to play and kick up the dust,..

Tank locations just seem to be a gathering place, like the bus stop, or corner store or highway rest area.

Early evening 96 degrees and this feller just walked on past

spike walking buy opening week 96 degrees.JPG
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2020 •  [Post 3]

How large were your spots Lefty? The ones we looked over were huge in my mind. They appeared to be "romper rooms" alright. Do all elk use them or just cows and calves? I include the spike you show with the cow/calf scenario. It appears they get used regularly. Maybe I should get a stand and go there.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 06, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I call em yarding areas (logging term). Used to find them on occasion in Montana years ago. Oftentimes, no rhyme or reason for the location except, as you noticed, sometimes you'll find them close to a wallow, seep, etc. I've certainly found small to medium open areas pounded to dust on alder field sidehills; I've came across a few of them in the WA and ID over the years. I think where I have hunted in the alder jungles, elk just like to stomp/frisk/roll around in a rare opening, bonus points if it's relatively flat ;).

WGI_0198.JPG
WGI_0198.JPG (109.42 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2020 •  [Post 5]

The ones we saw are on steep hillsides. RJ, I remember the one where I set my stand the year I hunted with you, and I have seen others that are similar. These spots are much larger, and pounded out more. I guess they are the same thing, but these are playgrounds on steroids.
Like the one I set at in Idaho, they are both near water.
Swede

Postby Billy Goat » 08 09, 2020 •  [Post 6]

I saw a spot that confused me like that in 2016.

it was a really dry year, and I think I recall there being a water source nearby.

the field around it was solid with plant life, but the dirt in this area was flat with no vegetation at all. almost like you'd hit it with a box scraper on a tractor.

the ground was hard, not powdery like you show.

still confuses me. I suspected it might have been an old mineral lick (never seen one to my knowledge).
Attachments
DSCN1669.JPG
DSCN1669.JPG (278.12 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Swede » 08 09, 2020 •  [Post 7]

DSCN0473.JPG

This is part of what I was looking at. Last season this area was deep dust due to elk. I do not think the picture does justice to the size and depth of the turned up earth.
Swede