Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What'd you just say to me? 2020 - Episode #1

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What'd you just say to me? 2020 - Episode #1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 03, 2020 •  [Post 1]

As that most wonderful time of the year approaches (the September elk rut), I thought I'd get a few of these "What'd you just say to me" episodes a rolling and spark some elk discussion.

Day/Time: 15 SEP/0800
Tag/weapon: Bull only/stick n' string
Type hunt: Partner hunt

As you're making your way up an old game trail that runs/climbs along the sidehill of a huge timbered, with sporadic tall alder patches, draw, you decide to throw out a few soft cow mews to see if anybody is interested in chatting with you on this fine mid September morning. There is some fresh sign in the area but to this point, you have not heard any unsolicited elk chatter. You're approaching a benched area that has a few small meadows and at present time, you're about 1/4 of the way up the sidehill from the bottom on this ascending trail. You set your partner up just below the trail and climb the sidehill about 25 yards, knock an arrow, and throw out some soft whiny cow mews and calf chirps.

The formerly quiet hillside now seems to come alive. Below the trail, 80 yards or so farther up the draw, you hear a bull scream back w/chuckles. Immediatley after bull #1 makes his presence known, you hear some hard hitting grunts followed by a nasty challenge bugle above the trail from bull #2, farther up the draw perhaps 150 yards. As you make eye contact with your partner below the trail, he gives you hand signs that he sees three or more cows above the trail in the direction where bull #2 bellowed.

What could these fellas be talking about? After taking a stab at deciphering what these sounds may mean in the situation given, what are your options/plan to get a shot at one of the bulls?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: What'd you just say to me? 2020 - Episode #1

Postby Lefty » 08 03, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Well Im all too often talkin' Canadian country garble to the elk. And they respond with their own down-town- jive.

We had a similar situation. And it all worked out for the elk; sept 12th last year So I am right behind Swede on making the wrong choices with talking elk :oops:
I did realize no mater the cow calf sounds none of the elk cared what I was vocalizing. So we waited on one of the bulls to make their way down so I could bounce an arrow off a branch.
To do it all over again I would still wait quietly for one of the bulls to make its way down.

http://www.wapititalk.com/Hunting/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10603
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 03, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Bull #1 is responding to your cow sounds and possibly trying to call you over towards him. Bull #2 is most likely warning bull#1 to back off. Possibly because the cows your partner saw may belong to him.

It is always good to keep in mind that elk don't talk as we know talk to be. Instead, they react vocally to different situations and they may not all react in the same way. So often it can be a guessing game trying to understand what is going on. However, through years of experience and hunting, some guys can figure it out and make some fairly good guesses as to what the various elk sounds mean.
>>>---WW---->

Postby lamrith » 08 03, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I think (usually the 1st sign of trouble) Bull#1 one is likely a satellite bull that has been following the herd bull(#2) trying to steal cows. You gave that sweet ready to mamba chorus away from the core cow group and he is trying to take advantage of the situation of cows being separated. Bull #2 (herd) is not pleased about it.

Tough call on that, you are separated from the cows which is good as less eyes on you and partner, plus that satellite and herd bull both think there are cows up for grabs. Moving up would be a risk of getting caught moving by the cows. I do not think going silent is a good idea at this point, they are expecting more vocalization from your area. Probably need to throw a few more cow calls out, some good whiny come get me calls, or maybe even go into calling to make it sound like a cow in distress/being taken. That could drive the herd and or satellite into a frenzy and come hammering in. Hopefully the satellite comes in 1st since he is closer and senses an opportunity to get himself a harem.

Get that joker down, then use the commotion to move up and go into a threat level 1 calling sequence on the second bull's cows. If he has not left the area he should respond and come racing in to save his girls. Drop him then call all your friends as it will be a long night with 2 bulls down!!
:archer:
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 05, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Bull #1 “ helloooo laadies!!! I’m 5’ brown eyes, brown/tanish hair with bleached ends 8-) , 575 pounds of solid abs, and hooves that can dance all night!! ;). Oh and did I mention my stout, heavy, massive horns that measure out to well over 200 inches”

Bull #2 “shut up kid!!! I’ve beat you down before and I’ll do it again!”

If some are above the trail and some below I’m doing my best to be right between them and give a few more cow calls
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 6]

I agree with WW's take on this situation. As the caller I think I would stomp around then make a cow in pain screech, (eeeeeee) then kick a rock down the hill or something similar. Move away and give out another short cow screech. Shake a bush a little then settle in and watch.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Well Ive waited long enough for responses.
In our situation Mr big was to our south 60-120 yards and up hill we were seeing 40 plus cows with him

Mr Big Also had 20 or more cows that we could see. 120-220 yards up the canyon on the south side . Interestingly as it grew later cows were head down to Mr. Bigs meet and greet And Mr big Also wasnt rounding those cows up. the cows seemed a bit willy nilly moving from one bcow gathering to another, Just socializing

Mr nice 5x5 was the feller that strolled past me, and I purposely ( :lol: ) bounced my arrow of a branch to move him and 4 girl friends down the hill

Then Mr Unseen and couldn't keep his mouth shut constantly cry or bragging , but he had the noisy crew. sorta to the NE about 200 yards up on a high flat. We could hear his girlfriends and calve constantly talking smack to the other elk

Then further up the canyon,.. maybe the most horse big sounding bugle, he kept his distance. Maybe a satellite bull,.. Or was he the old man of all the elk. Everytime Mr. Big sounded off he broke in nearly immediately.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 08 11, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Lefty: My advise will work guaranteed. Send me $500.00
If the advise does not work in ten tries, I will send your money back, but you will need to send proof that you followed the advise completely every time. :lol:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics