Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Getten fit

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Getten fit

Postby Lefty » 07 30, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Other than a few classes in college and my first elk hunt Ive really haven't "trained" Even as my belly had developed a more basketball shape I tend to stay active "doing stuff" I did run a bit in my twenties during the summer if I didnt have a chance to bike of ski for a few days. Construction and literally "running trap lines I stayed in shape.
My first elk hunt I was very intensely dedicated to Nordic track (1990). The the Boyscout troop was going to climb Mt Borah , Idaho highest peak so we worked on the bicycling merit badge And I scouted elk a handful of times. But other than that for a big (fat) guy Ive been fairly fit.
My daughter hits the gym and pool not so much for fitness but she likes the workout and dad ( me) get stuck stacking her horse hay.
So what do you do if anything or everything for season or fitness
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Getten fit

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 30, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I walk (run a bit) up and down trails and gated roads (sometimes stadium stairs) around where I work or live pretty much year around. As season gets closer (Junish thru end of August) I put 30 lbs or a bit more in an old Army Alice pack and keep the hiking rolling. I try to hike at least 3-4 times a week. If I don’t do this, I personally can’t hunt or pack effectively in the places I frequent in hunting season(s). . It’s a regimen I’ve adhered to for many years and it seems to work for me.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 07 30, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Not much here.I have started to ride my mule on a 9 mile loop once a week to get him in shape. I have never done much to get in shape. I stay active around my place. At me age,round is a shape and I don't even have that
saddlesore

Postby Indian Summer » 07 30, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Union carpenter here. The job site is about a mile and a half long. Nothing to me. Even the tall guys tell me I walk like I’m on a mission. I never really noticed until this particular job. Up and down hills, stairs, and ladders. Carrying materials of all shapes and sizes. When I get home I’m whooped!

My partner Tom got serious this off season. I barely recognize him! Zero body fat. But I told him today.... tortoise and the hair buddy.... I’ll be waiting for you at the finish line. He laughed but I’ve said it before.... elk hunting is mostly mental. I’m an elk junkie so if I think there’s a bull at the top of the hill it doesn’t matter if I weigh 310, 210 or 110 I’m running up there and killing it! Ok... maybe not 310. In that case Tom might beat me to it!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 31, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Growing up I was a sports nut and ran all of the time. My dads job had him in the mountains and so we were always hiking and very active. As the years have gone on I have definitely put on a few unwanted pounds :(. I usually start doing some 2 miles jogs all throughout August to build the lungs and legs a little. Going to do the same this year and diet pretty hard in August so I can feel good hiking this season
Elkhunttoo

Postby Tigger » 07 31, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Been hiking with 25 lbs (time to up that tomorrow!) about 4-5 times a week for 3 miles per hike. Mostly level though. Also about 4 walks with the wife per week for a couple miles. Will start hitting some hills now and some light jogging with my pack (looks ridiculous but it works). I have a problem with my Achilles tendon on my passenger side so i have to be really careful jogging.

I drive a desk for a living, so that sets me back.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 07 31, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Last night it was chasing down a couple steers and a cow, This morning moving pipe, but its going to be 100 today so maybe;;for today not much .
tomorrow a few projects at my in laws, finish a wall for a downstairs bedroom, door and trim. All the so call help I was told I would getting all had something else to do or placed to go.

Supposedly my wife and I are prepping for a backpack trim in Wyoming . But Im sure Ill end up putting together a trip for the neighbor, And If I do it will be some flatter high country on the CDT
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 07 31, 2020 •  [Post 8]

I do home workouts 3-5 times a week. Arms/chest, back/shoulders, leg day, core. 4-5 days a week I do a 2.5 mile walk with 3/4 mile hill climb (400' elevation gain, not great but better than nothing) with 40#, now 50# until bunting season is done. I started this routine 3 months or so ago and man I can feel the difference. Next year I hope to add a good backpack trip every other weekend to get my high country lungs in shape.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Tom Grates » 08 06, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Well, as Joe stated, I have become a fitness nut lately, I run a 5K before work, walk/elevation at lunch (usually 3 miles) and then hike or bike in the evening. I went my first year with Joe and was sucking wind the entire time, so tired when we got back to camp that I did not want to eat. I said that last day I would never let myself feel like that again. I have put myself on a regiment to push myself at everything I do, hiking ski slopes to bicycling on the trails, I push myself for that extra step, like Joe stated, visioning an elk at the top of the next rise.
Now with this entire social distancing going on, I exercise mostly for my mental health. I have pretty much undiagnosed ADHD and have to keep myself active and moving or I drift away.
I do remember the "story" of the tortoise and the hair, was that an Aesop's Fable? Either way, it is simply a fable. LOL
Tom Grates

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 08 06, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Well, with all my health issues in the past, my biggest concern has always been keeping enough muscle on me, not losing fat. Like Joe, a lot of it is mental, but I know for a fact my hip flexors can ruin a day if they get too worked over. I remember one hunt a few years back that was about 8 miles in 12-16" of snow. I had to use my hands to lift my foot high enough to get in the pickup truck.

I don't worry too much about weighted pack training, other than a few longer hikes off trail with a pack in the summer months. The uneven ground helps strengthen my hips a lot.. Instead I focus on variations of weighted lunges, heavy squats, kettlebell swings, etc. and switch to HIIT training a month before the season to work on my lung capacity. Nothing like super sets of pushups and jump lunges to whip you into mountain shape!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Swede » 08 06, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Eat donuts. :D

I have not had a donut in years, but I walk or bike nearly daily.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics