Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The "CRUNCH" is Real!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The "CRUNCH" is Real!

Postby Bolt » 07 28, 2020 •  [Post 1]

No matter what I do each year I always hit a wall where I feel like time is running out. I then ask myself have I done enough to get ready? Well this week crunch time hit me, hit me hard! I don't know what it is about this year, COVID, multiple trips planned, good whitetail bucks on my property, they have me in a tizzy. I am very fortunate that God has blessed me with the troubles I speak of, (well except COVID) but finding the time to get it all done with work and a family is difficult. What are your guys dong to manage all of the last minute prep? I started multiple list about two weeks ago, and I always have my old trusty hunting equipment list that goes on my back when I get there. My physical fitness is better than it ever has been, and I am shooting more than ever, I guess the devil is in the details. I look forward to my adventures this year and hope to share some great pics with the crew on this forum.
Bolt

Re: The "CRUNCH" is Real!

Postby Tigger » 07 28, 2020 •  [Post 2]

well we still have some time, the month of august is still a hurdle in our way. Do you know how to eat a Mastadon? one bite at a time.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 07 28, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I used to struggle with this too. A couple years ago I lost sleep over it. Literally woke up at 1 am a week before I left to go hunting and just got up and prepacked all night. I hate the rush and crunch as the day approaches.

I finally somewhat changed my ways. For me now, just staying ready means I don't have to get ready. Physical fitness, gear organized and in hunting condition, hunt plans, family life/schedules planned to the best of our ability. I'm already dialed and ready to climb into my truck on October 10 and drive away for 10 days. Also have a couple weekend backpack trips planned between now and then. My pack is soft loaded with essentials, so all I have to throw in is my sleeping bag, food, and water and I can hit the road.

THe only thing I've been avoiding in cleaning my garage. Ugh, It just keeps getting worse.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 28, 2020 •  [Post 4]

No problem! Elk always come before deer. By the way, wELKome to the forum!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 07 28, 2020 •  [Post 5]

>>>---WW----> wrote: By the way, wELKome to the forum!

Actually Bolt has been on this forum for about 4 years now. He’s always too busy getting ready to hunt to post much. Lol

I feel the crunch year round because I’ve been there so many times the feeling never goes away. These days I keep a lot of gear stored in Wyoming so that helps a little. But somehow there’s always new gear. And shooting seems to get pushed back until it’s an emergency. Last year I reloaded the weekend before I left and took a day off work mid week to shoot. How in the he11 does it come down to that!!!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Bolt » 07 29, 2020 •  [Post 6]

I feel you Indian Summer, I have been around for awhile I don't get a chance to post much because Im stuck in meetings all day at work. I had much rather be hanging out with you guys!
Bolt

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 29, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Indian Summer wrote:
>>>---WW----> wrote: By the way, wELKome to the forum!

Actually Bolt has been on this forum for about 4 years now. He’s always too busy getting ready to hunt to post much. Lol

I feel the crunch year round because I’ve been there so many times the feeling never goes away. These days I keep a lot of gear stored in Wyoming so that helps a little. But somehow there’s always new gear. And shooting seems to get pushed back until it’s an emergency. Last year I reloaded the weekend before I left and took a day off work mid week to shoot. How in the he11 does it come down to that!!!

My bad! I don't remember ever seeing Bolt on here before.
>>>---WW---->

Postby BrowTines » 07 29, 2020 •  [Post 8]

It seems inevitable, I always seem to have an issue with my bow a month before the season. Everything will be working perfectly and then something goes. This year, I had beat target panic and everything was looking good and then my sight became dysfunctional. It is frustrating to have everything dialed in and then a critical component dies. Anyone else have those kinds of issues? The contstant tweaking of archery is a hate-love relationship.
BrowTines

Postby Lefty » 08 02, 2020 •  [Post 9]

In the past I put a lot of effort in to be ready "instantly" And most years still have a panic attack,.. crunch time

My list is small on what is needed .

One year my crunch time was August. Nearly everyday I was doing something , even what didn't need to be done. I had been watching my bull ,.. 17 days, I had a real game plan, or so I thought
Two years and part of the the next summer I had him been after mr big.

\Glad I checked this thread,.. been working harder to have everything ready to go "tomorrow.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H