Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Eastern Oregon Unit 50 OTC Elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Eastern Oregon Unit 50 OTC Elk

Postby CarnivoreWithBow » 07 20, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Hey everybody!

I'm new to the forum, so thank you kindly for having me. It's an honor to virtually be amongst all of you and your wisdom. I'm grateful to have a resource for learning and sharing information!

This is the first year I am going on an OTC archery elk tag. Been lucky to have drawn some nice tags/states over the years and prior to that, I had gone with my dad on some private land. However, those days are over and I did not draw anything this year. That being said, I still want to be in the elk woods come September, so I have decided on Eastern Oregon. Initially we were looking at the coastal Roosie units, but ultimately decided on Eastern Oregon. I am going with my brother and we are both in our late thirties, in good shape and willing to work hard to get it done. Our number one factor we consider above antler size or anything else when deciding on a unit, is minimal hunting pressure. We'd rather get on some elk and have a chance at even a small bull, vs battle crowds of other hunters/backpackers chasing big bulls. Now, all that being said, I am not naive. I realize any OTC unit is going to be chalk full of other hunters. I also realize everyone has the same idea of "if I go deeper into into the wilderness and pack in more miles, I'll get away from the crowds." All that being said, we initially had taken a hard look at the Pine Creek unit 62 because I had read it can be quite elky and there are some remote rugged areas with not all that much pressure. Then after having a lengthy conversation with the biologist, he talked me out of it. He said the unit gets slammed with people and the elk get pressured hard and move far away from the pressure. He recommended unit 50 Desolation. He said there are quite a few people there as well, but plenty of elk to go around if you know where to find them. So now we have pivoted and are angling for unit 50, but I gotta be honest, based on everything I have read on the internet, it sounds like that unit is a zoo as well. Have any of you found success in unit 50? I'm not asking for your spots, but in your opinion, which area of the unit has the least amount of people trudging through it? Also what area of the unit is off limits to ATVs? We definitely want to steer clear of ATV traffic if possible. Or maybe you have an opinion on a better Eastern Oregon unit? I look forward to your thoughts! Thank you all for taking the time to respond.
CarnivoreWithBow

Re: Eastern Oregon Unit 50 OTC Elk

Postby Swede » 07 20, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the forum Carnivore. I think all Oregon units that have a good elk population get a lot of hunters. I hunt here in State every year, but not unit 50. The only thing I can advise is to learn a unit and figure out the locations that hold elk, and where they go to when the pressure is on. Unless you like meeting and greeting other hunters, I would be very frugal with any elk calling. If staying away from other hunters is your main objective, you might try the high desert of Harney and Malheur counties. There are not a lot of elk there, but you can hunt them pretty much alone. You can also freely bugle more there too. I might go near Buchanan on the BLM land or the edge of the Forest. You will do a lot of moving and spotting.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Pop-r » 07 26, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Welcome. I know nothing about Oregon. With all due respect though one must be very careful with what they disclose in their post on a public forum if they want to have any privacy for their future at all. Good luck!
Pop-r

Postby Swede » 08 03, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I suspect ODF&W would like to see a lot more hunters try their skills out on high desert archery elk hunting. There are some good reasons you will get a lot of territory all to yourself. I recommend it to anyone that prizes solitude. I lived in that area and gladly let anyone that wanted to, cross my property to hunt.
Swede

Postby Swede » 08 03, 2020 •  [Post 5]

I suspect ODF&W would like to see a lot more hunters try their skills out on high desert archery elk hunting. There are some good reasons you will get a lot of territory all to yourself. I recommend it to anyone that prizes solitude. I lived in that area and gladly let anyone that wanted to, cross my property to hunt.
Swede