Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

A Helping Hand

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

A Helping Hand

Postby Swede » 07 04, 2020 •  [Post 1]

When I was a kid, my dad took me hunting into some productive deer and elk hunting country. Neither of us knew a lot about hunting, but we both enjoyed it immensely. Dad was not raised with hunting and started on his own. I followed along soon after he got started. I had the advantage of going with someone and sometimes several guy went together and I got to tag along. I read outdoor life and any deer or elk hunting story I could get my hands on. I soon came to realize that successful hunting was a lot more than pure luck.
Now we have the internet with hunting forums where we can discuss the things we have learned and seen. It is great for comradery and an opportunity to learn a thing or two more. Now I see, on another forum bellyaching about someone asking for a tip on where to hunt. These want-to-be elk hunters, have never ventured west of the Mississippi and have no one at home to look to for help. Some of them want to get an idea where to start looking for elk. They say something like, "I am not asking for anyone's honey-hole, but …." Now some are indignant about that question.
Notice to all hunters on other forums: I take no offence in the question and will try to help as much as I can. I did not say "we" but from the evidence I see here and considering the people that hang around, I believe I could. We are not offering up anyone's honey hole, but can steer you in the right direction.
I have seen that information in Bow Hunter Magazine. It used to come out every year and still may. I let my subscription lapse several years ago. Indian Summer offers up hunt plans with specific locations to hunt for a reasonable price. The plan includes a lot more information that what you will see on any thread I have read. Saddlesore here has some great pointers about Colorado. Others post similar information including information on draw deadlines. So if you are interested in getting some good information come over to WapitiTalk and stop by our campfire. Pull up a chair or block of wood to sit on and you will get respectful answers to your questions without getting badmouthed.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: A Helping Hand

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Hey Swede, I agree with you about helping new hunters, but I do think there is some necessary context to be laid out here.

As a fisherman, I've had really amazing spots get totally burned out when word got out. Most hunters have experienced this as well. In this digital age, we face a new reality where every single word that gets put down online is searchable. I can literally specify the forum to target for my google search: for example "elk GMU 81 colorado site:wapititalk.com" will reveal all wapititalk threads with those terms. That's (a) a useful tip for your online research, and (b) a prime example of why guys get upset when someone joins a forum and starts trawling for information.

One well meaning person can give a truly useful piece of advice and that unit suddenly sees a 5% uptick in out of state hunters, or the specific drainage gets an extra 8-10 vehicles at the trail head next season. This is our new reality. So, I will always try to help guys out if I have pertinent information, and I encourage others to do the same. But do it in a way that won't ruin someone else's secret spots.

This can be through private messages if necessary, or it can be over the phone or email. Location specific information generally shouldn't be broadcast indiscriminately, as it has a tendency to concentrate pressure and can ruin the experience for everyone involved. Anyways, that's my opinion. I'll still happily help anyone who wants it! Just be ready to email me or message me privately.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Swede » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Trumpkin, I think you are offering more than I do. I am not giving coordinates or saying what mountain or canyon to hunt. The truth is I don't know where best to hunt. The elk move around a lot, but I would say "hunt GMU 81" or something like " hunt near the ranches". I don't plan to take the hunting out of hunting, but will steer a person in the right direction. If you want to hunt Oregon, I would say "avoid the Cascades as the elk population is way down there and hunter success is in the low single digits."
Swede

Postby Swede » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 4]

My point in the first post was to say to anyone that is reluctant to ask for some advise on where to get started hunting, is come to WapitiTalk. We are willing to help you get started without shaming anyone. There are people here who will advise you on States and units that are good to hunt. I have had quite a few people send me coordinates and ask about spots they are interested in. If I know something I will advise them on it. I have also searched G.E., web forums and maps to see if I could help.

To be sure I have stopped in to the agency offices and asked for information. I have talked to foresters and range techs in the field about hunting spots. They have given me some great information. So what bothers people so much about some kid from Tennessee asking for some help getting started? I wish I could take some hunting with me, but have all I can handle now.
I have seen huge changes in elk hunting since I was a kid, but generally my success has improved over the years. A newbie in the woods somewhere is not going to ruin my hunt. You are not a threat to me. Feel free to ask for some advise.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Ive been accused of giving away locations.
My example: an out of stater asked where to hunt waterfowl in Idaho.Not being snarky or sarcastic my response was to look for blue ( water) on a state highway map.
I am on an Idaho elk hunting Facebook page. But have been disappointed when some have asked about a unit they drew and the rude responses. Some act like if you arent a 6th generation resident you are a criminal.

Specifics I limit to PM and e-mail

I have been what some say burned and also enjoyed the benefits of locations that were televised, posted in game rules and regs, magazines, forums.

I am fine if people dont respond to e questions, but don't lie or falsely reply to a question.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 6]

i-dont-always-tell-people-where-i-hunt-but-when-i-do-its-a-lie.jpg
i-dont-always-tell-people-where-i-hunt-but-when-i-do-its-a-lie.jpg (144.77 KiB) Viewed 3848 times

I cant lie :( but I learned to be truthful with out being specific.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Lefty wrote:I cant lie but I learned to be truthful with out being specific.

Spot on perfect Lefty.
Lefty, I sure hate it when I can't give you a hard time on something you post. Knock it off. :D
If I could tell you exactly where to find a good elk to shoot, all you would find there would be a gut pile. I would figure a way to get there first.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 8]

I think what gets people worked up a mite is when someone's first post is looking for advice on where to hunt without having lifted a finger themselves. Every year on some of the bigger forums there are posts the day of the draw that say, "I drew XX unit and know nothing about it and need advice". First, why did you apply there? Second, do some research and then ask a question or two rather than looking for a handout without any effort whatsoever.

My spots are kind of iffy to be honest and I am not far away at all from needing to start completely over. Someday I might need some help, but first I would want to put in an honest effort myself. That is part of the fun! But it can be daunting for sure!

Uh, I do have a WY tag this year. I would like some honey holes please! feel free to PM me so nobody else see's your secret spots!
Tigger

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Lefty wrote:I cant lie :( but I learned to be truthful with out being specific.

Bingo! I think that's generally the attitude here on Wapititalk, and I love being a part of it.

I hope I didn't come across the wrong way previously. I am all about helping people, I just want to be wise about it.
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby saddlesore » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 10]

I have personally helped three members on this forum as to where exactly to go to kill elk.

Generally I am very careful about what information I give out and who to .I have been burned too many times.
If a person says he/she has a tag for such and such unit, plans to hunt there, and I know that area sucks, I will tell them what I know about it in that context.
The people that really ruin an area are rags like Peterson Hunting and in the past,outdoor life. Now with the internet,anyone that post where to go hunt and how good it is,just gave that information to 50,000 hunters or so .
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 11]

You guys understand perfectly how to be helpful and have done well, including you Trumpkin. :D
Swede

Postby Lefty » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 12]

I’m hoping to give coordinates of a few elk next year , exactly where Swedes freezer will be
Lefty

Postby Swede » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 13]

Lefty, it is no use. Giving map coordinates to my freezer would be a waste of time for the squirrels that hang around this forum. The only reason Trumpkin objected to giving out coordinates, is that he is still trying to figure out north, south, east and whatever that other one is. :D
By the way Trumpkin are you still healing up, or am I irritating a still sore rear?
Swede

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Swede wrote:Lefty, it is no use. Giving map coordinates to my freezer would be a waste of time for the squirrels that hang around this forum. The only reason Trumpkin objected to giving out coordinates, is that he is still trying to figure out north, south, east and whatever that other one is. :D
By the way Trumpkin are you still healing up, or am I irritating a still sore rear?

Shots fired at the invalid!!! :lol:

I'm healing quite nicely. Been working out fairly consistently even. I still have a second surgery to come, but it's a lot less invasive than the first one.
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Swede » 07 07, 2020 •  [Post 15]

Trumpkin, I am glad you are healing up and that you have not lost your sense of humor.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 07 07, 2020 •  [Post 16]

So I see Swede is now picking on those that are on Injured Reserve. He must of finally figured out that picking on healthy varsity players didnt work out so well! Soon Trumkin will be off IR and Swede will look for a new victim to peddle his wares to. :lol: :lol:
Tigger

Postby Swede » 07 07, 2020 •  [Post 17]

Tigger wrote:So I see Swede is now picking on those that are on Injured Reserve.

I hope you are not staying up late at night trying to think up such weighty matters. Swede is pretty much an equal opportunity harasser which includes the handicapped. Don't worry about Trumpkin. Watch out for incoming insults. :twisted:
Swede