Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lets Talk Locating Elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lets Talk Locating Elk

Postby Swede » 07 02, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Every experienced elk hunter has had times when they had to go out and search for fresh elk sign and then to locate elk. There are times when it is difficult and even times when we return home skunked. There is not a big bull in every meadow or every hill side. That is hunting.
Here is what I try to do. It is not always a howling success, but the better I am the better the results will be.
1. I go to areas I know have historically held elk. Even a new hunter with no guide can approximate this by finding units that have some good elk hunting success. Then Study Google Earth and topographic maps to narrow things down. Cheat if you must and pay attention to where other hunters are camped and find a spot for yourself nearby.
2. Don't be alarmed just because you are not ankle deep in fresh poop and the trails are not beat to dust when you hike off into the forest. Elk get pushed around and they move around. The place you are hunting may be where they will be at any time. Look for recent sign, and not just fresh. If the elk have not been pushed out of the area, they may be back soon.
3. Get off the roads and ridges. Hike along the hillsides where most people avoid. Sometimes hunters think there are no elk in the area because they see no sign on the road. I have an area that is laughable because so many people travel right past it, but I can kill multiple elk there every season I suppose. It is only by investigating the spot I realized it is used by the elk and they pass through there on a fairly regular basis.

So what do you characters do to locate elk? It will be helpful as we get closer to scouting and hunting time to have some pointers on this subject. If you have something specific to your hunting area or the season you hunt, please point that out.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Lets Talk Locating Elk

Postby Lefty » 07 02, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Some great info

I think I will add pressured game gets good at trying to stay alive

depending on often game is not that far away. They do not disappear. They are somewhere
Maybe just deeper darker thicker and further
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fullabull » 07 02, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I have to say, I'm a caller for locating. I get off the road before others show up. Make some location bugles and wait for a response. If nothing responds to my first bugles I start climbing and stop now and then to bugle again. Since I'm usually ahead of other hunters, I'm in a better position when I do get a response, so I go right after them. Usually other elk hunters who also hear the response will keep calling which helps me keep track of the bull without calling myself. So guess who gets there first ;)
If other hunters are not around then I just keep the bull going until I get close.
Fullabull

First Name: Fred
Last Name: Talbot

Postby Swede » 07 03, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Fred do you only hunt archery season or do you use that tactic in early rifle season?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics