Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Montana 2021

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Montana 2021

Postby phall » 07 02, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Anyone have any recommendations on a outfitter/guide for Bob Marshall wilderness late September rifle for 2021...im a diy backpack style bowhunter but finally have group i trust but they are all rifle guys...ive searched outfitter after outfitter and read horror story after horror story mixed with some good stuff too. We are looking for a horseback style adventure but we can all hike and backpack hard too...
Thanks Patrick
phall

First Name: patrick
Last Name: hall

Re: Montana 2021

Postby Indian Summer » 07 02, 2020 •  [Post 2]

What made you decide to zero in on the Bob? You can ask Wapiti Talk1 what to expect when you read horror stories. They are real. Of course there are a few success stories mixed in because elk aren’t technically extinct there. But between the wolves and the grizzlies they are few and far between and on full alert for predators. It’s a beautiful place. I’d highly recommend it for a summer horseback vacation. You just might kill an elk there too but you can definitely find an area where the odds of that are more in your favor.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby GoGriz1234 » 07 02, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I don’t disagree with what IndianSummer said about the population likely being down and there being other places to chase elk, but as he also said the scenery in that area is amazing. Checkout StormCreek Outfitters for an elk hunt if you are set on the location, they have a comfy setup and a great group of guides.
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby phall » 07 02, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Just looking for area that offers early season rifle, honestly. Im diy a bow hunter that prefers the September rut that has agreed to go on a rifle hunt with guys that dont even own a bow. My bow hunting partner has essentially retired from the elk woods. So late September was my compromise as well its tough for me to get 2nd or 3rd weeks of October off from work d/t fall break and all the co-workers with kido’s. Did i miss other areas that offer early season rifle hunts? Wyoming? We all have a point in wyoming it will be two points soon? Im hitting colorado solo this year simply to get rid of some points. we did idaho frank church last year for backpack rifle and got absolutely murdered by the terrain and amish with horses on absolutely every drainage. Thanks
phall

First Name: patrick
Last Name: hall

Postby Indian Summer » 07 02, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Do NOT be tempted by that early gun season. The same thing goes on in the Selway and believe me it is some tough hunting. Those elk have adapted for generations to early season gun hunting. I’m sure you’ve heard the saying “If it sounds too good to be true it probably is”. They invented that saying in those areas!
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 07 02, 2020 •  [Post 6]

I knew Steve and Lorie Burson who owned Storm Creek. They sold it to the new owner just this year. They outfitted the Selway. Care to guess why they sold? I didn’t know they operated in the Bob. Maybe the new owner had a permit up their previously. Not sure. But those areas are very similar. If you take a group of guys out there you can call your gang Gluttons for Punishment!
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 02, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Indian Summer wrote:Do NOT be tempted by that early gun season. The same thing goes on in the Selway and believe me it is some tough hunting. Those elk have adapted for generations to early season gun hunting. I’m sure you’ve heard the saying “If it sounds too good to be true it probably is”. They invented that saying in those areas!

Here, here! I've got that T Shirt. I've tried to block it out but that Selway-F. Church Wilderness hunt two years ago is arguably, the worst elk hunt I've ever been on (SEP rifle hunt). You couldn't pay me to do it again. From what I've heard, "the Bob" has went way south also comparative to what it was pre-wolf introduction.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 07 07, 2020 •  [Post 8]

There's an early rifle season in the Beartooth wilderness as well. Same story though. Wolves and Grizz are thick, and elk are a rare sight.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C