Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What state?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What state?

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 25, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Just curious for those of you that hunt out of state why you pick the state that you do? Do you try to move around to other states?

I was born and raised in Idaho. I spent a lot of time on the Idaho Montana boarder growing up. I’ve always wanted to hunt the Montana area we went to all of the time, it’s on my bucket list. I would also like to hunt western Wyoming too.
Elkhunttoo

Re: What state?

Postby Lefty » 06 25, 2020 •  [Post 2]

That is crazy . I just logged in with the full intention of posting this same threat. ( (thread :lol: )

I started my elk hunting a couple years after marrying my wife,30 years ago. up til then I hadn't done much big game hunting because those hunts were during trapping season
While living in Washington state my father-in-law set up a hunt for SW Montana. I killed my first bull elk on the third morning. At our camp/trailhead I met some " real elk hunters"
I bought a few tags in Washington state. Hunted Mt St Helen's the Yakima area And Blue Mts as a guest in other camps. They wanted someone who could pack out game. and cook :lol:
Living in Utah we put in for that same Montana hunt.
Also put in and drew a Utah CWMU elk as Utah resident on Deseret land and livestock http://wildcountryoutfitters.com/deseret Maybe the craziest hunt Ive ever been on. It was a depredation hunt but watched 20 elk get killed and had this unbelievable and alcoholic guide

The very first year in Idaho we drew 2: of 25 trophy bull hunt tag. Had the only permission on a ranch with the funkiest bull you have ever seen; instead of the main beam going back it splayed out to the side.
Opening morning we sat 3 hours before shooting light. The bull never showed. Driving out through public land there were 9 other hunters and 2 warden hoping for that bull. All that traffic the elk never showed.
The above was all rifle hunting.The Idaho and Montana locations at that time were my FIL hunting places

Then on an antelope hunt we came up on two big bulls. I ran to town to buy a bow and arrows,.. but found that the archery season was over. Told a buddy about the bulls . A few weeks later I owned his Mathews Switchback. That first year hunting the desert I had a ridiculous number of elk interactions. More than any man deserves. :o :shock: The next year even more,.. All these huge bulls every Friday and Saturday and I was hooked. I still wouldn't and didn't consider myself an elk hunter , but I sure hunted elk.
After my hip replacement I now hunt Idahos mountains,.. right across from where on my first elk hunt killed my first bull in Montana .
Depending on health and fiances,.. next year likely put in for Montana too I can be in can in hours
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 06 25, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Elkhunttoo wrote: I would also like to hunt western Wyoming too.
Use to hunt geese in Star Valley, and antelope in Wyoming 93- 94

I guess I should share how my father in law chose where he hunted in Montana. A close hunting buddy owned a cabin in small town SW Montana. He often went up to hunt and fish.
1968 he had bought a Montana elk tag, and for what ever reason drove up a valley road, then onto forest Service Road and got stuck in deep snow. The storm picked up. Late afternoon a herd of elk were out his camper door , shot his elk,.. then hunted Montana 20 times over the next 30 years.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Billy Goat » 06 25, 2020 •  [Post 4]

my bunch chose Colorado because it was the shortest drive to a predictable draw, public land hunt.

targeting WY for 2021 cause I like the #'s and it's the next shortest drive (I think).

I put in for MT points as well, and look forward to sweating on its mountains shortly thereafter!
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Indian Summer » 06 26, 2020 •  [Post 5]

My first elk hunt was in Montana and I just kept hunting there. Prior to that I had been hunting antelope and mule deer in Wyoming. So in reality Wyoming was my first love of western hunting. Two of the guides that worked for me in Montana started guiding in Wyoming after I sold the business. We’d become good friends and stayed in touch. They both said the same thing... told me I was working too hard for my elk up north and that I’d love it down there. So I went down to check it out. My first hunt ended with a 6 point bull in the first 30 minutes of the hunt. Those Wyoming bulls had a serious second rut! They were bugling like crazy. They spend lots of time out in the open too so finding them is actually fun instead of hard work. I never looked back. Started learning my area and passing up smaller bulls. The country is the most beautiful I’ve ever hunted. The people ate really nice. I’ve become friends with the biologist. I can leave the majority of my gear at a friend’s house. Meat processor isn’t too far and does a great job. Lease horses are as easy going as I could hope for. Lots of elk and huge mule deer. Who would ever think of hunting anywhere else? I save Colorado deer points but that’s it. The Montana hunting has improved big time since I left. I do think about a return trip since I know the area so well. But I’d only go if I drew a particular unit.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 26, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Currently, the spud state is my out of state, state of choice for the majority of the fall elk hunt. I don't spend a ton of time hunting in my home state of WA because, well, the seasons blow (#1, they don't give you the full rut in archery season), and, it seems that the W side of WA has 10 times as many "bad" people roaming the woods and campgrounds as other states I've hunted. Not sure why that is; tweakers, thiefs, mentally challenged hunters, anti-hunters, and general miscreants seem to be all over the darn place. I have hunted MT since I retired from Uncle Sam in 04 (actually, my home state) but I've found that where I hunt in ID is decent elk hunting (although steep and thick, thick and steep), its a shorter drive from where I live, and, the tag costs are less expensive than MT. I've bought points in WY for a few years so perhaps next year, my hunting buddy and I will venture down thataway and see what's shaking.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 06 26, 2020 •  [Post 7]

WapitiTalk1 wrote: I've bought points in WY for a few years so perhaps next year, my hunting buddy and I will venture down thataway and see what's shaking.

You’re like the guy with the winning Powerball ticket that never cashed it in. When you go down there you’ll be asking yourself why you waited so long. They don’t allow motorized wheelchairs so don’t wait too long!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 26, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Indian Summer wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote: I've bought points in WY for a few years so perhaps next year, my hunting buddy and I will venture down thataway and see what's shaking.

You’re like the guy with the winning Powerball ticket that never cashed it in. When you go down there you’ll be asking yourself why you waited so long. They don’t allow motorized wheelchairs so don’t wait too long!

Don't allow motorized wheelchairs? What kind of durn dang flippity smurf foul state is that? I had a plan in place for when I get really long in the tooth but I guess it may not be legal down there. ;)

Hunting Track.jpg
Hunting Track.jpg (40.73 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tigger » 06 26, 2020 •  [Post 9]

I have hunted CO, ID, Mt, and WY. We have bounced between MT and WY lately based on whether we could get tags or not. WY this year.
Tigger

Postby juglow » 06 29, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Haven't really found a home yet. Started in CO in 2014. Been to Id and Wy since. Giving Id a try again this year because of the points thing to NR... Maybe MO next year.
Wife is loosing patience with me coming home with tag soup but see's how much I enjoy being in the west so deals...lol.
juglow

First Name: Jeremiah
Last Name: Uglow

Postby 7mmfan » 06 29, 2020 •  [Post 11]

I started going to Idaho because its the closest state to me with OTC non resident tags. I wanted to pick an area, learn it, and be able to hunt it every year. I am considering buying into Wyoming now as well, for additional options. I have a son who is several years away from hunting yet, but I want to learn a few different areas and options to get him I to good hunting right off the bat.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan