Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Springs Outfitters

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Springs Outfitters

Postby PDXcureuil » 05 26, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Hello All,

New member here from Oregon; thank you for adding me.

Apologies in advance if this is a duplicate post--I searched with no results--but wondering if y'all have any experience or reviews of Elk Springs Outfitters in Idaho.

Happy hunting!
PDXcureuil

Re: Elk Springs Outfitters

Postby Indian Summer » 05 26, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Never heard of that outfit. I have to say I’m not too impressed with the website at a glance. 5 days isn’t enough hunting time for one. The Frank has been hit hard by wolves. “Hot spots change from day to day” sounds like rolling the dice. I could be wrong but I’ve read and written more than my share of websites and the outfit just doesn’t trip my trigger. McCall isn’t where I’d place my bet. The average is a 5 point. That means raghorns are fairly common. It sounds like the deer hunting is much better than the elk hunting. You can do better than that. See what you think about Reggear Outfitters out of Orifini.

And welcome aboard! Have you hunted elk before? What type of hunt are you looking for? Goals and abilities? Bow/rifle?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 05 27, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I just looked up Reggear Outfitters and they don't even offer elk hunting. Joe, do you have any other suggestions?
Tigger

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 27, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I know nothing about them or any other outfitter.

If it was me I would look at what type of experience you want to have. If you are archery hunting the success rates are so low on average That I would pay for the experience I want to have. The scenery? food? wilderness? Camp? Horses?...I’m sure some areas are better then others and some guides are better then others. Get in contact with a few that meet the experience you want to have and ask them there success rates for the last few years. Ask them what kind of hunt you can expect. I’m sure they will all tell you they are great but at least you might get a feel for them. If this place is one you are looking at maybe you can get a hold of some of there past clients...Good luck
Elkhunttoo

Postby Indian Summer » 05 27, 2020 •  [Post 5]

I’d call Travis Reggear and ask about an elk hunt even though it’s not on the website. He’s a hunting machine and last I inew he did offer some elk hunts even though he doesn’t advertise them.
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 05 27, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Welcome to the forum PDXcureuil. I know nothing about Elk Springs Outfitters. Can you tell us a little about yourself, your hunting experience and your hunt plans? We likely can't help you with Elk Springs, but may be able to comment If we know a little more. If you are flexible, and just want a good elk hunt, just send a PM to Indian Summer when you qualify with five posts, or post more on this thread. Again welcome to WapitiTalk.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 05 27, 2020 •  [Post 7]

If I was gonna hire an outfitter, I would ask for references from clients that did not harvest an elk. If they still give a positive review, that is very likely a very good outfitter.

An outfitter that doesn't advertise his elk guiding tells me that guy is pretty successful!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 05 27, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Tigger wrote:An outfitter that doesn't advertise his elk guiding tells me that guy is pretty successful!

Or he is so bad that he knows he will get hammered if he sticks his neck out. Some are not licensed or recognized by appropriate outfitter/guide organizations. It would take more than just not advertising to convince me that I could trust him. I fully agree with the first part of Tigger's obnoxious rant. :lol:
Swede

Postby Tigger » 05 27, 2020 •  [Post 9]

It would take more than just not advertising to convince me that I could trust him.

Joe's recommendation checked that box for me!
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 05 27, 2020 •  [Post 10]

He’s guided Ted Nugent, Pete Shepley, oh I can’t remember the other big names. All through word of mouth. And yes he’s licensed! I used to book hunts for him but it’s been quite a few years. I’m not sure what he has going on these days but he runs a small business and he will hunt you into the dirt.
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 05 27, 2020 •  [Post 11]

My point was not to claim anyone individual is not totally legit. I don't know Elk Springs, and I assume if Joe says a person is a hunting machine, they are at least a diligent hunter. That said, as I worked for the Forest Service, and have observed some different outfitters and guides. I get a little skeptical when there is an outfitter that does not advertise. Many on the National Forest have no permit, no bond, no license. The percent of this kind is high. They are not the exception. Some will camp on the Forest and move around. Others start out from a ranch, but don't stay there. Some also trespass on private land but have no right be there or to bring clients on. I unwittingly hunted with one of these once. I had no idea who owned what. I had no idea what if any agreement he had to hunt the private land we were on.
If you ever run have a chance to deal with an unpermitted, unlicensed, unbonded, or otherwise irreputable outfitter, ask yourself why are they operating that way. I can tell you this; the Forest Service found out about a lot of them from clients that were complaining. The F.S. has no one out asking hunters if they are using a paid guide service while on the Forest.
Swede

Postby PDXcureuil » 05 27, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Elkhunttoo wrote:I know nothing about them or any other outfitter.

If it was me I would look at what type of experience you want to have. If you are archery hunting the success rates are so low on average That I would pay for the experience I want to have. The scenery? food? wilderness? Camp? Horses?...I’m sure some areas are better then others and some guides are better then others. Get in contact with a few that meet the experience you want to have and ask them there success rates for the last few years. Ask them what kind of hunt you can expect. I’m sure they will all tell you they are great but at least you might get a feel for them. If this place is one you are looking at maybe you can get a hold of some of there past clients...Good luck

Good points. I'm looking to soak up as much knowledge as I can, and hoping to work for it a bit, though careful what you wish for I suppose... I am planning on a DIY archery hunt in Oregon, so this would be a late season--late October and after--hunt, and open to rifle.
Thanks for the reply!
PDXcureuil

Postby PDXcureuil » 05 27, 2020 •  [Post 13]

Swede wrote:Welcome to the forum PDXcureuil. I know nothing about Elk Springs Outfitters. Can you tell us a little about yourself, your hunting experience and your hunt plans? We likely can't help you with Elk Springs, but may be able to comment If we know a little more. If you are flexible, and just want a good elk hunt, just send a PM to Indian Summer when you qualify with five posts, or post more on this thread. Again welcome to WapitiTalk.

Hej Swede!

This is Matt from Rokslide, the forestry pilot. Finally got my act in gear and figured out how to create an account here...
PDXcureuil

Postby Swede » 05 27, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Again, welcome to WapitiTalk PDX. As I said in my first post, I know nothing about Elk Springs either good or bad. Just use due diligence in checking out an outfitter. I have never used Indian Summer. All I do is give him a hard time here, but I feel comfortable saying he knows elk and could offer you a great hunt plan for a fair price, or recommend a good outfitter in Montana or Wyoming.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 27, 2020 •  [Post 15]

Welcome to WT Matt, thanks for swinging by. I’m not a fan of the Selway/Frank Church area. Ground zero for wolf introduction; it’s bad. Think pre wolf elk herd of 17K down to 2K. I hunted there two years ago and those digits are real. If I were you (looking to hunt Idaho outfitted), I’d contact Dale from Bear Paw Outfitters and see what he can offer. Great guy and excellent hunts from what I’ve heard. His link is above.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ