Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Chance of Drawing

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Chance of Drawing

Postby Swede » 05 06, 2020 •  [Post 1]

I have no idea how this Covid 19 may affect hunter's plans and if they will to put in for tags. I have heard that poaching is up as people want cheap meat, but have read of no specific instances. If that is true, it would make me think we will see more hunters this year than normal. More people may be putting in for tags than have done so in the past.
What I am wondering is if the draw odds just got longer or if they might be better. My chances are not good if everything stays the same, but I am getting closer.
Have any of you drawn anything yet and what do you think your odds are at getting a good tag for elk, or something special if you are still waiting to hear?
I guess I have a 1:3 chance at something for both deer and elk. Just a guess.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Chance of Drawing

Postby saddlesore » 05 06, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I will probably draw my ML Cow elk tag as I do every year. All other tags will be left over or OTC.Colorado has not posted any jump in poaching. If these ten muleys don't stay the heck out of my alfalfa though I am going to charge CPW rent of one fat doe taken with a subsonic 22 LR
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 05 06, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Were putting in for antelope. otherwise over the counter tags
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 05 06, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I put in for a deer controlled hunt in idaho. No idea what my odds are, but im sure theyre better than my odds of getting a washington moose tag.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 05 06, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Actually just looked up the draw odds from last year, 9%, not bad at all. I really dont get why so few people apply for it, seems crazy.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 05 07, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Odds of drawing anything in WA, virtually 0. I did not apply for anything in Idaho this year, but I think I will begin doing that more in the future. Also going to add some Wyoming applications to the mix next year.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 05 08, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Wyoming elk apps were in before the elkduds hit the fan. If anything people are withdrawing apps because of a loss of income. Today is the last day to modify or withdraw.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 08, 2020 •  [Post 8]

It will be just fine with me if I draw a bull tag this year. Every one in Idaho stay home and don’t apply!!! And don’t apply online either, I hear that is the number one way of getting sick!!! ;)
Elkhunttoo

Postby Pop-r » 05 14, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Struck out in NM, drew MT (elk, deer and will antelope)and I swung for the fence in WY so it's not likely but still possible. Will know next week I presume.
Pop-r

Postby Indian Summer » 05 14, 2020 •  [Post 10]

I’ve seen plenty of guys saying they drew in AZ and elsewhere and withdrew their Wyoming applications. That’s what I was hoping for. Maybe things will improve with the late drawing date giving guys a chance to pull their apps.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 05 15, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Indian Summer wrote:I’ve seen plenty of guys saying they drew in AZ and elsewhere and withdrew their Wyoming applications. That’s what I was hoping for. Maybe things will improve with the late drawing date giving guys a chance to pull their apps.

I half wish I'd put in for WY this year, but I don't have any guarantee I'll be healthy enough to hunt by the fall. It sounds like MT is falling apart as a hunting state... makes me sad.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C