Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wyoming Shed Hunter-Grizzly Attack

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wyoming Shed Hunter-Grizzly Attack

Postby Indian Summer » 05 03, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Already! I’ve been around grizzlies in Alaska. The seem to have a certain amount of respect for humans. That’s not the case with Wyoming grizzlies. Those bears are aggressive! As always I’ll steer clear of griz country while elk hunting. Glad to hear that the guy survived.
https://www.kbzk.com/news/local-news/ma ... creek-area
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Wyoming Shed Hunter-Grizzly Attackers

Postby saddlesore » 05 03, 2020 •  [Post 2]

If you are shed hunting in grizzle country when the grizzlies have most likely just come out of hibernation and are hungry you probably need to have more situational awareness. Although encounters happen. I can't believe anyone just stumbles on a grizzle if they were paying attention. When hunting in Albeta where guide was required, his advice was "you are hunting elk, but always remember to act like you are hunting grizzlies too.

This whole thing about shed hunting has gotten way out of bounds.But then again, greed enters into into for those that want to sell the antlers.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 03, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Damn. Glad the guy is ok, sure coulda been worse.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 05 03, 2020 •  [Post 4]

That whole Yellowstone Ecosystem grizzlies are a real problem . We need a season on them even if its just a few boars. They need some fear of man
I can't believe anyone just stumbles on a grizzle if they were paying attention

My experiences it is very possible,
How often do we stumble on any game even when hunting. Certainly most eastern guys have stepped over a tree and had a whitetail bedded

My daughter and I came off a series of calling locations ( Hmm I need to get the picture from my daughter ) 250 yards from our ATV and we didnt seem him ,.. well we thought a was a black angus then 70 yards was too close

Then there was this guy years back,end of May Stupid I know but my father in law,,,,
, headed to the old family homestead DGriz was bedded 100 yards from the road on a south facing willow thicket. I could smell him. Didn't need to know that pile was still warm
2017-06-01 11-26-22.jpg
Flaf ranch road Wyoming 2 miles from Nichols Homesteaad

We hunt good grizzlie habitat. But they have always been somewhat controlled . Livestock killers are put down.
Three weeks after this pic,.. this guy was put down for killing sheep It had been pouring rain, While we didnt see him, however I believe this track was seconds old and we spooked him

2016-06-11 17-51-27.jpg
I had been pouring rain, While we didnt see him I believe this track was seconds old

Where we hunt the biggest boar grizzly ever recorded in the lower 48 was heavily monitored. He steered clear of people. Every few years he was trapped .
While we had an exciting encounter, starting at 70 yards he sort a slinked off.
We also found where he killed and partially ate a big black bear
We never cut a track from him last year so I wonder if he didnt make it out of hibernation. However we did find a dead cow elk that was gone days later,... I didnt hunt with in 1/2 mile of the place :o

If you want to sleep in, have an exhilarating hunt , be on guard always. Hunt grizzle country 8-)

Maybe my most fearfull situation was in the Wind Rivers; Donald Creek basin. Found two older of elk kills the night before and decide to skirt that area going out
Hiking out my dog and I walked up on a fresh elk kill, Her tail tucked and she heeled I was so thankful we had a good wind . And crossing chest neck deep roaring snow melt I nearly became Jesus brother walking on water.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Wyoming Shed Hunter-Grizzly Attack

Postby Swede » 05 03, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Lefty makes a good point in that a grizzly can move fast and be on us before we have the chance to defend ourselves, but I also agree with Vince. Vince is talking about "situational awareness". I agree it is hard to believe anyone just stumbles onto a grizzly if they are paying attention. You are in grizzly country, in the Spring, and there is fresh sign around. When does it dawn upon a person that the situation may not be a healthy one?
In snow country I prepare my truck for winter driving, and I slow down when there is snow on the highway. Around here I stay home for a day or two until the highways clear. If I am caught out when it starts snowing, I slow way down, but there are always those that never see the sign. There are those in grizzly country that can see the fresh sign, but they want to get those fresh shed antlers.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 05 03, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Off subject, bit I just read one of C J Box 's novel of the game warden Joe Picket in the Big Horn mountains of WY about his search for a grizzly that became human habituated. Hard to put his books down. I usually read the whole thing in one evening
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 05 03, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote: situational awareness

I agree it is hard to believe anyone just stumbles onto a grizzly if they are paying attention.

The advantage or risk is only reduced because of bear density. And I truely believe most bears would rather walk off than confront,.. even knowing they can tear anyone apart. But Im not a total fool in griz country fool enough to consider that we couldn't get up on one even being on full alert.
When I had my moose tag I put this beautiful stalk on a bedded bull moose. Enough snow to keep things quiet, perfect wind, great conditions Inching around the tree that bull moose wasnt there,And I hear a grunt,..how the heck did I sneak past a bull moose ?
And these guys. followed their bugling in the dark. Watched their their lady friends for 2 1/2 hours . Literally my last moments to hunt. Killed one of their girl friends. All likelyhood I had walked past them three times , I still had time to drop my pack and get their pic.

2010-09-11 14-03-08.jpg
2010-09-11 14-03-08.jpg (18.97 KiB) Viewed 6293 times

and some country is so thick always that possibility, and even in thin stuff,..
IMG_1568.JPG

I Park visitors are the only ones without , situational awareness.

Some avoid the whole situation,.. and wont hunt or recreate in griz country
I dont think anyone goes into dead game after sitting a night with out a gun and spray.
The through hikers Ive visited with most take every precaution possible without a firearm( cant carry in the Parks )
The out fitters I know, Multiple firearms loaded and spray,.. Heck our Costco has a great price on spray and were 90 mile to the closet grizzlie here
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 05 03, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Lefty wrote:
Swede wrote: situational awareness

I agree it is hard to believe anyone just stumbles onto a grizzly if they are paying attention.

The advantage or risk is only reduced because of bear density. And I truely believe most bears would rather walk off than confront,.. even knowing they can tear anyone apart. But Im not a total fool in griz country fool enough to consider that we couldn't get up on one even being on full alert.
When I had my moose tag I put this beautiful stalk on a bedded bull moose. Enough snow to keep things quiet, perfect wind, great conditions Inching around the tree that bull moose wasnt there,And I hear a grunt,..how the heck did I sneak past a bull moose ?
And these guys. followed their bugling in the dark. Watched their their lady friends for 2 1/2 hours . Literally my last moments to hunt. Killed one of their girl friends. All likelyhood I had walked past them three times , I still had time to drop my pack and get their pic.

2010-09-11 14-03-08.jpg

and some country is so thick always that possibility, and even in thin stuff,..
IMG_1568.JPG

I Park visitors are the only ones without , situational awareness.

Some avoid the whole situation,.. and wont hunt or recreate in griz country
I dont think anyone goes into dead game after sitting a night with out a gun and spray.
The through hikers Ive visited with most take every precaution possible without a firearm( cant carry in the Parks )
The out fitters I know, Multiple firearms loaded and spray,.. Heck our Costco has a great price on spray and were 90 mile to the closet grizzlie here

Actually lefty, you can carry in national parks now, have been able to for several years. Its the one positive thing that came from obamas reign. Im not sure about open carry, but i do know with a cpl you can CC. But i have no desire to go hiking in a national park where im not allowed to hunt. Waste of time.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 05 03, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Fifteen years ago I went hunting in the NWT. We were advised there were grizzlies there so we had a situational awareness. Knowing there was grizzlies around, we prepared as best we could. That does not mean one could not come upon us very fast, but we knew what we were dealing with. That is what I mean by not just stumbling onto one. If I ran into one near home, it would be different, as I have no idea there are any around here. There is no situational awareness and no preparation for dealing with the critters here.
Where I hunted with RJ in Idaho, he informed me that there was an occasional grizzly in the area. I took some precautions. I was more cautious at first because I did not know much about the situation. After going days and weeks without seeing a fresh grizzly track or feces, I started to relax my guard some. Still I stayed alert.
As far as the grizzly/brown bears wanting to avoid you, I suppose that is true most of the time, but Timothy Treadwell and his girlfriend if alive could testify, it is wise to protect yourself and be on guard. They don't always walk around you, and leave you alone.
I would be leery of hungry Spring grizzly bears and sows with cubs. Just my thought.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 05 03, 2020 •  [Post 10]

I can see how a guy can stumble on a grizz. I never have, but ive ran right into numerous black bears by pure chance when i didnt want to.
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 05 03, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:F,,, but Timothy Treadwell and his girlfriend if alive could testify, it is wise to protect yourself and be on guard. ,,,,.

Forest Gump said it best!
Stupid is as stupid does

Whitey is that true about the back country
Ok I just looked it up, dont bring your BB gun or Archery equipment
Can I Bring a Gun to Yellowstone?
Yes, you can carry a gun in Yellowstone. But it's illegal to fire it - even in self defense. And once you exit Yellowstone, you could be in one of three states, so it's important to know the law.
Courtney Holden

Gun in Yellowstone

(This article was created to bring awareness to the changed laws about weapons in national parks. It is the individual's responsibility to educate theseselves about the laws and abide by them. The below information may change.)
Yes, guns are permitted in Yellowstone National Park
Park visitors are able to openly carry legal handguns, rifles, shotguns and other firearms per a federal law approved by Congress and signed by President Barack Obama in February 2010. Concealed weapons are allowed by state statute.
Can I shoot my gun?
In a word, no. The overarching permission that allows guns in Yellowstone doesn’t note the range of additional rules surrounding the presence of firearms in the park. The most important caveat is that visitors aren’t allowed to shoot them. Hunting is strictly forbidden in Yellowstone, as is target practice. And visitors should not use guns as self-defense against large wildlife, but rather carry bear spray and take other safety precautions. Firearms are also prohibited in facilities like visitor centers and government offices. These locations are labeled at all public entrances.
If I can’t shoot my gun, why are they allowed?
According to park ranger and guides, the main reason for allowing guns in Yellowstone is to facilitate town-to-town travel for local citizens. Many areas outside of the park are prime hunting locations, and hunters often use roads through Yellowstone because it’s the most direct route, or in the case of Cooke City in the winter, the only route. It’s difficult for rangers to restrict people from carrying guns in their vehicles.

While guns are allowed in the park, each state has its own individual regulatory practices. Because Yellowstone encompasses parts of Wyoming, Montana and Idaho, it’s important that visitors understand and comply with all applicable state and local firearms laws (in addition to national laws) before entering this park. The 2010 federal law did not affect other weapons like bows, swords and pellet or BB guns, all of which remain prohibited by the National Park Service.

Consider the following state guidelines before crossing Yellowstone boundaries into state-governed land.
Wyoming Gun Guidelines

Is Open Carry Allowed?
Handgun = Yes
Rifle = Yes
In Vehicle = Yes
Age Requirement = 21 years of age

Is Concealed Carry Allowed? - Permit Required for Non-Residents
Person = Yes
Vehicle = Yes
State Reciprocity = 35 states
Age Requirement = 21 years of age
Montana Gun Guidelines

Is Open Carry Allowed?
Handgun = Yes
Rifle = Yes
In Vehicle = Yes
Age Requirement = 18 years of age

Is Concealed Carry Allowed? - Permit Required
Person = Yes
Vehicle = Yes
State Reciprocity = 44 States
Idaho Gun Guidelines

Is Open Carry Allowed?
Handgun = Yes
Rifle = Yes
In Vehicle = Yes

Is Concealed Carry Allowed? - No Permit Required
Person = Yes
Vehicle = Yes
State Reciprocity = All
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 05 03, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Yup, legal to carry a gun. As for them saying its not legal to shoot said gun in order to defend your life... well, if it comes to that, they can pound sand. Id rather go to court than be killed by a grizz
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 05 04, 2020 •  [Post 13]

I hunted in the bullseye of grizzly attacks last year. Whew. it was an experience. Can you stumble upon one? Heck yes! They can be on you in the blink of an eye. Go read the accounts of the attacks....they all say the same thing...they happened so FAST. Sometimes there is sign and sometimes there isn't. We hunted through a patch of timber and saw one old pile of scat. Didn't think anything of it. Our partners hit the same patch 2 days later and said they found over 100 piles...about 100 yards upslope of where we were. :shock:

As elk hunters, we do everything wrong in terms of avoiding a grizzly. We are in deep cover, in low light or dark conditions (although I don't think I have ever heard of an attack while walking in the woods at night), usually have the wind in our face and we are as quiet as possible. Throw in some elk calls and it is a recipe for an encounter.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 05 04, 2020 •  [Post 14]

I see we are using the same term to describe two different things. As said several times above, a grizzly attack can come suddenly seeming out of nowhere. Situational awareness does not mean we know exactly when and where it will happen. Situational awareness is based on knowledge and observation. Where I see fresh grizzly tracks and feces while I am in grizzly country, I have "situational awareness" and can relate to it in the way I feel is most appropriate. If I am like Timmy Treadwell, I tell the world and myself that the bears are my friends. Most of us don't think that way and behave according to our level of concern. I have never been eaten by a grizzly, so I cannot tell you what it is like, but I can say it does not sound like a fun experience. With situational awareness I will take some extra precautions to avoid that possibility.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 05 04, 2020 •  [Post 15]

The problem with relying upon situational awareness is that you will not always see tracks or scat. Believe it or not bears move about. So you can be slipping through some timber without seeing any sign whatsoever and Mr Grizzletoe is on you in 1.3 seconds. Last year our area was infested with grizzlies and we didn't see as much sign as you would think. And it wasn't a lack of situational awareness....!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 05 04, 2020 •  [Post 16]

It is kind of like elk hunting Tigger. You have a certain situational awareness just being in elk country. If you start to see fresh sign you become more focused. When I was with RJ, I never saw a grizzly, a track or feces, but had a situational awareness and carried a pistol as well as my bow. I was on the lookout. Just because I was on the lookout would not mean one could not come out of the brush suddenly, but I had that pistol close, and easy to get ahold of. Situational awareness, and not being a dumb bunny or dead duck. :lol:
Swede

Postby stumpy waters » 05 05, 2020 •  [Post 17]

Some of y’all sure got a lot out of that article! The guy was apparently stupid, wasn’t prepared, had no situational awareness, and should have seen the bear’s tracks and scat long before he saw the bear.
Glad I got the rest of the story! :)
stumpy waters

Postby Swede » 05 05, 2020 •  [Post 18]

Stumpy, I do not think anyone is trying to judge the man that was attacked by a griz. It is immaterial at this point. The question I would ask is if you would go there totally unprepared for a bear confrontation. I know that when I worked for the Forest Service, employees were made aware of large predators and were trained to minimize the risk they presented. In Alaska the employees worked in pairs or crews and all were armed.
Swede

Postby stumpy waters » 05 05, 2020 •  [Post 19]

Swede wrote:Stumpy, I do not think anyone is trying to judge the man that was attacked by a griz. It is immaterial at this point. The question I would ask is if you would go there totally unprepared for a bear confrontation. I know that when I worked for the Forest Service, employees were made aware of large predators and were trained to minimize the risk they presented. In Alaska the employees worked in pairs or crews and all were armed.

No I wouldn’t go unprepared. I would not assume that just because a guy got attacked that he was not prepared.
Very well could be the reason he walked away is because he was prepared?
stumpy waters

Postby Swede » 05 05, 2020 •  [Post 20]

stumpy waters wrote:No I wouldn’t go unprepared.

That was my point. Go into these places prepared and on the alert. It was a coincidence that my pastor was telling me about an incidence of seeing a bear run up a hill near him. He was amazed at how fast it covered the ground. I did not recommend that he carry bear spray or a large caliber pistol if he goes to Washington Park in Portland. I did tell him if he is in grizzly country, you cannot out run one. I doubt he ever carries bear spray in Washington Park, and he just might avoid being out alone in grizzly country. Situational awareness.

You will search in vain for anywhere I said the 41 year old man was not prepared. I did say it is hard to believe someone just stumbles into a griz. I was not saying you could not be surprised by one, but that situational awareness will cause you to be prepared for such an encounter. You may assume anything you want, but you have no basis at this point to say he had anything except for an In-Reach.
Swede

Postby stumpy waters » 05 05, 2020 •  [Post 21]

Swede wrote:
stumpy waters wrote:No I wouldn’t go unprepared.

That was my point. Go into these places prepared and on the alert. It was a coincidence that my pastor was telling me about an incidence of seeing a bear run up a hill near him. He was amazed at how fast it covered the ground. I did not recommend that he carry bear spray or a large caliber pistol if he goes to Washington Park in Portland. I did tell him if he is in grizzly country, you cannot out run one. I doubt he ever carries bear spray in Washington Park, and he just might avoid being out alone in grizzly country. Situational awareness.

You will search in vain for anywhere I said the 41 year old man was not prepared. I did say it is hard to believe someone just stumbles into a griz. I was not saying you could not be surprised by one, but that situational awareness will cause you to be prepared for such an encounter. You may assume anything you want, but you have no basis at this point to say he had anything except for an In-Reach.

And you’ll search in vain to find where I said YOU said he was not prepared. ;)

I have no idea what the man had with him or what his situational awareness was so I’m not making any assumptions period.
That was my point...

He survived and walked away. He was either somewhat prepared or extremely lucky. Missed a good day to by a lotto ticket. :)
stumpy waters

Postby Swede » 05 05, 2020 •  [Post 22]

stumpy waters wrote:And you’ll search in vain to find where I said YOU said he was not prepared.

But you did start the post by quoting me, and followed up by answering my question. If the rest of what you said ("I would not assume that just because a guy got attacked that he was not prepared.") in that same paragraph was not a part of your response to me, then you would have been clearer by separating it.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 05, 2020 •  [Post 23]

Follow up article. It appears that the bear bit into bear spray on the guys belt which discharged and potentially stopped the attack.

https://billingsgazette.com/outdoors/grizzly-bear-bit-holstered-bear-spray-during-wyoming-attack/article_70d5c256-df05-5e07-a165-a127f905c9d2.html
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 05 05, 2020 •  [Post 24]

Interesting. We have been discussing situational awareness and it appears the man was aware of the threat and took reasonable precautions to deal with the potential for attack. I hope he fully recovers soon.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 05 05, 2020 •  [Post 25]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Follow up article. It appears that the bear bit into bear spray on the guys belt which discharged and potentially stopped the attack.

https://billingsgazette.com/outdoors/grizzly-bear-bit-holstered-bear-spray-during-wyoming-attack/article_70d5c256-df05-5e07-a165-a127f905c9d2.html

That would be a rude awakening. One of them spicey gummy bears :)
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 05 06, 2020 •  [Post 26]

So this is a case where he "just stumbled on to a griz". You CANNOT assume you will see scat or tracks. Do NOT rely upon that as an early warning sign. Since we do not even know for sure if a bear dumps in the woods... :?: :lol: ….we for sure cannot tell how many times a day he does. And the odds that you stumble upon that pile just before finding the bear are small unless you are in his favorite bedding area. Always be prepared in bear territory for an encounter and practice your method of deterrent. Most likely, you won't have an extra 2 seconds to get spray or a pistol out of its holster. Although, many people don't know this, but you can call loudly, "TIMEOUT" and the bear will stop until you get ready.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 05 06, 2020 •  [Post 27]

Tigger wrote:You CANNOT assume you will see scat or tracks.

You wax eloquent on the obvious. Everyone that has been in the remote outdoors understands that. No one would say you will immediately see either scat or tracks, but I have never been in an area with a bear population, where those signs do not exist, except during the winter or maybe just after the bears come out of hibernation. When a bear comes out of hibernation they have a huge apatite and they immediately start to roam around foraging. Bears don't wear diapers and they don't fly. They will leave evidence. So here I am waxing eloquent on the obvious. :lol:
Situational awareness causes us to be alert based on our knowledge of the animals in the area, and the sign we see. Anyone that can call them self a hunter knows you slow down more and look and listen when you see significant fresh sign of your query. Again we are acting on situational awareness. As any hunter knows; just because we are aware does not mean we cannot be on the losing end of an encounter.
Swede