Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Versatility

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Versatility

Postby Swede » 04 26, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Are you versatile? Can you get elk only one way, or only in one area? If something changes are you ruined as an elk hunter?
Every so often I read someone outraged that another hunter has invaded, or worse they have blatted about "their honey hole"? They probably have good reason to be distressed. They can't get elk anywhere else.
Some hunters get discouraged because fire or logging or something similar has changed. Hopefully we all can move or adapt to changes, as they are as sure as death and taxes.
Over the years I have had to make significant moves. The one thing I have learned about moving elk hunting locations, or even changing tactics is that it makes me a better hunter. I am not a victim or dependent. The work it takes to become comfortable using a different tactic, or going to a new area can be part of the fun.
Have you had to adapt and be versatile? Can you share what you have done differently than you did in the beginning?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Versatility

Postby wawhitey » 04 26, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Im incredibly versatile. I can get skunked on elk anywhere, any time, with any weapon type. I guess that also makes me very consistent.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 26, 2020 •  [Post 3]

:lol: :lol:

I always think I’m better then I probably am. I have hunted 3 different parts of Idaho for 26 years now. I have killed elk in all 3 places. I have been hunting my current unit for around 7 years. I have 2 parts of the unit I mainly hunt. It can be a hard unit to hunt with the archery success right around 10-12 % most years. I enjoy hunting the same areas year after year and getting to know the land and how the elk use it. At the same time I do like learning new areas and what they have to offer.

Not sure if my rambling answered the question at all :?
Elkhunttoo

Postby 7mmfan » 04 27, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I like to think I'm versatile, but I've only really hunted elk successfully with a rifle. However, I have sat and waited for elk and killed them. I've spotted and stalked elk and killed them, and I've called in a few elk and killed them. I've also just stumbled onto them with blind ass luck and killed them. I consider that highly versatile.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 04 28, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Just say to yourself if a bunch of guys were trying to kill me where would I go. If you answer honestly you’ll find elk. You wouldn’t stand around anywhere even close to where you can hear or smell human travel routes. You wouldn’t spend your days bedded where a hunter could sneak up on you either.

But you would at some point be forced to eat. That’s the kink in their armor. If there is food inside cover life can be tough for a hunter unless you are locating by calling. If it’s gun season and there is no food in the timber you’d have to feed in the open. So you might have to do that at night. But you might find yourself eating after it got light out for at least a few minutes. Another kink in their armor.

I’m versatile in that if I know the elk are there I am super patient and if they aren’t I’ll do whatever it takes to go find them. Start earlier, go further, stay later.

I think the trick is to literally think like an elk. Elk are extremely versatile but their goal is survival taking into consideration predators which include us and of course weather. Without us weather is the main factor. So go where there are no other hunters and factor in the current conditions and it’ll just be a matter of time until you’re in the right place at the right time.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 04 28, 2020 •  [Post 6]

I.S. you have nailed it. Versatility is not hunting with a rifle one season and bow hunting the next. It is not calling one day and waiting in a tree stand the next. It is adapting to the conditions and situations you are dealing with.
I spent a weekend out calling once when suddenly I came upon a good water hole, with a trail beat to dust leading into it. The next day I hunted it was in a stand overlooking that water hole. Versatility.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 04 29, 2020 •  [Post 7]

wawhitey wrote:Im incredibly versatile. I can get skunked on elk anywhere, any time, with any weapon type. I guess that also makes me very consistent.

Great one

Ive adapted to a lot of game in a lot of areas using all sorts of methods,. over a long time
Fish: net, spear, snag, live bait, spinner, spoons, traps flies, hand grabbing, spotlighting baitfish, feeder to 12 foot sturgeon, in a lot of places in all sorts of condition, Raging rivers, through 4 foot of ice, mosquito infested swamps, bear infested rivers, Oceans, bays, Lakes, reservoirs, ponds creek streams what ever was where I was.

Elk not so much:
Ive been in camps/trailheads with some incredible elk hunters. I dont mind spot and stalk, rifle. But not as much fun as muzzle loading, which isnt as much of a challenge and fun as archery
As a resident in Washington, Wet side on St Helen, Yakima and Blues,.
Montana:,.. Gravelies,
Resident in Utah: Wasach Front and Wyoming uplands
Resident Idaho: ,.... desert and Mts,.. :lol: I just barely told one of my best friends where weve hunted,.. :lol:

Hmm been successful a lot of places, Over 48 years ND, SD Mn, IA, Mo, KS, NEB, IN, Wis, Arkansa, Alaska California Montana, ID, UT, NEV, Wy. Or, WA. Saskatchewan, Alberta

Next year Javilina in Arizona!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H