Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Ruined for life!!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Ruined for life!!!

Postby Lefty » 04 21, 2020 •  [Post 1]

I had shot a few elk, mature bulls and a management cow with a rifle. Good hunts! I hunted elk but didnt live and die elk!
Was there a moment or hunt or season that made you passionate about elk!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Ruined for life!!!

Postby saddlesore » 04 21, 2020 •  [Post 2]

1966 or there abouts .First elk hunt.Three of us killed three bulls in about 10 minutes.Two together,the other hit at a distance and it took a few shots for me to hit him again.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 21, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I think it was when I was born ;) ... or maybe my first bird kill at the age of 5.

I remember being addicted to elk hunting for as long as I can remember. I do remember watching Will Primos on the truth 2 big bulls as a boy. All I could think about was calling bulls
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 04 21, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I have to admit, I have kind of a love/hate relationship with elk hunting. By the end of the season I am burnt out, want to go home and relax awhile. I am fed up with it. When I get home it is great to be back for a good shower, home cooked meal and my regular bed.
The next day I start to clean, repair and repack everything to get ready for the next season. That whole process takes about a week, by then elk fever has set in again. By the middle of October I can hardly wait to go scout my hunting area and get set for another hunt.
I do not remember when that fever got started, but probably right after I started tree stand hunting in 1993. Before that time it was just another hard hunt. After that it was a challenge that kept me thinking, and planning all of the time.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 04 21, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Damn swede, i was in 5th grade when you started treestand hunting.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 04 22, 2020 •  [Post 6]

wawhitey wrote:Damn swede, i was in 5th grade when you started treestand hunting.

I was in 3rd! Mr. Sweeney's class, bringing self playing keyboards to show and tell and watching the McDonald's cheeseburger on his desk not rot the whole year.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby 7mmfan » 04 22, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I don't remember the exact moment, but I went on my first elk hunt when I was about 15. Late archery hunt. I'd never actually laid eyes on an elk. I remember walking up an old logging grade and looking across the canyon, perhaps 600-700 yards away and seeing a tan spot. Pulled up my binos and there stood a lone cow feeding on an open face. We saw a lot of elk on those hunts, and had a lot of very close encounters. Somewhere along the way, it got into my bones.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 04 22, 2020 •  [Post 8]

wawhitey wrote:Damn swede, i was in 5th grade when you started treestand hunting.

That season I shot my first tree stand bull on the day before my 46th birthday. I see I need to get a lot more respect from you young punks.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 04 22, 2020 •  [Post 9]

"Swede, Do you have pictures from that bull that are in black and white?"

No they are on glass negatives that are hard to download.
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 04 22, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Polaroid :lol:
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby juglow » 05 19, 2020 •  [Post 11]

My first hunt was in Colorado on an OTC archery hunt. We didn't see much sign of any wildlife in the drainage we were hunting but plenty of human sign along the road in and in the drainage. Pressure was crazy and coming from PA, I didn't think it could get worse. Well, it was way worse.

The morning we were going to pull camp (about 4 miles in), while I was sipping coffee on the edge of the meadow is when it happened. I heard rocks rolling down the mountain side and when I looked up a cow and calf were heading our way fast. We scramble to get ready and they ended up busting my partner. After they left, a couple minutes later, a 3X3 dogged a cow within 15 yards of our tent. I left out a grunt to stop them (rookie mistake as they bolted) but I held draw and waited for her to stop turn broad side and look back (yes the bull was legal but the cow was much bigger ;-). At that moment, I released and the arrow connected. She ran about 200 yards and piled up. It was pure luck. The pack out was brutal. I experienced body failure twice on that trip and I took a year off not knowing if I would do it again lol). That's when the addiction really took a grip.

Filling your tag is the goal but I can honestly say that being in vast beautiful county every year is what fills and re-centers my soul. I can honestly say, its not about the kill...I haven't killed an elk since that cow but I've enjoyed every minute of the hunt and memories that are made with friends, fellow elk hunters I run into (there is not others like them), learning the country, growing respect for the wapiti, and the list goes on.
juglow

First Name: Jeremiah
Last Name: Uglow

Postby Old school » 05 20, 2020 •  [Post 12]

I was ruined for life and became an addict over 15 yrs ago. Dad and I saved up and went on a “once in a lifetime” guided hunt in Northern Idaho with Wayne Hill Outfitters. So much for the once in a lifetime. I shot a small 5x5 and dad shot a spike. I could barely walk after that hunt. Thought I needed a double knee replacement. My knees have never fully recovered or been the same. That lit a fire in me that hasn’t gone out. Every year the mountains call out to me in September and it’s time for my annual pilgrimage. 2 for 2 with a rifle and 0 for 5 with a bow. One of these years I’ll connect with the bow. Lots of close calls, but archery is a whole different animal for me. On all 5 archery hunts I could have easily succeeded with a rifle or muzzleloader. Determined to get this archery elk thing figured out though.
Old school

Postby Tigger » 05 20, 2020 •  [Post 13]

I crossed paths with Wayne Hill Outfitting guides one year while hunting. Small world!
Tigger

Postby Old school » 05 20, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Yes - they cover a lot of ground each day. We ran into other DIY hunters daily. A real shame what the wolves did to northern Idaho and the guides up there.
Old school