Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Introduction to the forums

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Introduction to the forums

Postby ghosthunter1 » 04 12, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Long time watcher first time poster. I've been lerking around the forums reading everyone's comments for a while now, figured it was time to finally introduce myself. I've been hunting a lot of years for elk bear lions deer etc. Hunted elk in 4 different states all DIY and been successful most often but definitely not always. Definitely have more to learn from the knowledgeable people on this site and i am looking forward to conversations with everyone. I especially enjoy the all the elk nut app and all the information paul and crew give out every year, which i have learned religiously for my elk hunts and it is truly remarkable to see the elk interact exactly how Paul says they will. Thanks for the Add and i look forward to converstations.

ghosthunter1
ghosthunter1

Re: Intruction to the forums

Postby GoGriz1234 » 04 12, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Welcome! What state are you in now? What are your plans for this Fall?
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby ghosthunter1 » 04 12, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I live in SD, not sure yet on the fall, i put in for a gammet of tags NM, CO, WY, and MT, not sure if i will draw a single one but gotta try
ghosthunter1

Postby Swede » 04 12, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Welcome to WapitiTalk.com Ghosthunter1. Feel free to join in the conversations here. Sometimes I feel I am hunting ghosts too.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Introduction to the forums

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 12, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Welcome to the forum mister, glad to have you at our campfire ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 04 12, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Welcome Welcome!
Tell us a little more.
What part of SD? what type of fun do you have in SD, where have you hunted, and maybe a story of two on some of your hunts.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 04 12, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote:Welcome to WapitiTalk.com Ghosthunter1. Feel free to join in the conversations here. Sometimes I feel I am hunting ghosts too.
Attachments
ghostbusters-aykroyd-3a_copy_800x533.jpg
ghostbusters-aykroyd-3a_copy_800x533.jpg (98.64 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Elkduds » 04 12, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Good of you to join us. Drag a stump by the fire, have a seat and tell a few tales.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Swede » 04 12, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Ghosthunter1: Don't pay attention to the renegades congregated here. They will mess you all up. I am not going to mention any names, but their initials are Lefty, wawhitey, and Indian Summer to point out just a few. Don't despair as I will keep you from going off the rails. Those other characters don't know if they are on foot or horseback. :lol:
Swede

Postby ghosthunter1 » 04 13, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Certainly, i live in western South dakota. For a long time my passion was just spot and stalk mulies in our big open country, than i decided to finally give elk hunting a try about 18 years ago. That pretty much ruined any deer hunting and ive been hooked on hunting the mountains out west for elk. I preferably like to hunt archery elk with a bow because i love communicating back and forth with them, theres just nothing better for me. i am by no means a trophy hunter for elk, and my itchy trigger finger doesnt allow for me to pass on any legal bull so i usually shoot the first legal bull i come across. As far as South Dakota goes we dont get to hunt elk in our own state but maybe more than a half dozen times in a lifetime (including leftover cow tags) if your lucky. So most of my hunting is in other states. with all the attention elk hunting gets now im just happy to draw a tag and get out at this point let alone draw a limited tag. But i am definitely not complaining a guy can usually find a tag to go out and chase elk somewhere if hes willing to put the work in. Sounds like im in good company on this site with some very knowledgeable people.
ghosthunter1

Postby Tigger » 04 13, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Feeling pretty good that I didn't make Swede's renegade list!

Welcome aboard and should you become chums with Swede, prepare yourself for cleaning the corporate jet as he routinely gets in trouble and draws cleanup duty!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 04 13, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Tigger, don't get too proud of yourself. My list was just an example of the malcontents that hang out here. It was not intended to be all inclusive. I did not want to scare off the new member. I did not mention some others like RJ as we try to make him look more respectable, as the forum needs some face of respectability and discipline.
Swede

Postby Elkduds » 04 13, 2020 •  [Post 13]

ghosthunter1 wrote:Certainly, i live in western South dakota. I preferably like to hunt archery elk with a bow because i love communicating back and forth with them, theres just nothing better for me. i am by no means a trophy hunter for elk, and my itchy trigger finger doesnt allow for me to pass on any legal bull so i usually shoot the first legal bull i come across. As far as South Dakota goes we dont get to hunt elk in our own state but maybe more than a half dozen times in a lifetime (including leftover cow tags) if your lucky. So most of my hunting is in other states.

Guys here hunt all the western states. Which is/are next on your list, will you be chasing elk this fall? I vacationed in the Black Hills, there were elk in Custer State Park, hiding behind the bison. Is that where most SoDak elk hunting happens?
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby ghosthunter1 » 04 14, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Ya we have a healthy population in the blackhills with some really good bulls, unfortunately drawing a tag is the problem, might take 20-30 years to draw a bull tag there. Custer state park has elk and they give out about 3 tags a year so chances are i will never draw that tag either. but i am by no means complaining i still get to go out west and chase public land bulls somewhere every year which is all i could ever ask for. I should know in another couple weeks where or if im headed to montana or wyoming fingers crossed
ghosthunter1

Postby Indian Summer » 04 14, 2020 •  [Post 15]

ghosthunter1 wrote:Ya we have a healthy population in the blackhills with some really good bulls, unfortunately drawing a tag is the problem, might take 20-30 years to draw a bull tag there. Custer state park has elk and they give out about 3 tags a year so chances are i will never draw that tag either. but i am by no means complaining i still get to go out west and chase public land bulls somewhere every year which is all i could ever ask for. I should know in another couple weeks where or if im headed to montana or wyoming fingers crossed

Be thankful you live so close. It takes lots of us 17 hours of driving to get to where you live. If I lived in SD I’d be driving over to my hunting spot one during the summer and also hunting bow and gun season. You could triple your learning curve speed! Good luck and welcome to the home of the highly contagious virus called elk hunting!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lager11 » 04 27, 2020 •  [Post 16]

First time poster on the site but have been reading comments all spring, My son and I will be heading to Western Wyoming this fall archery elk hunting for first time and just love reading everyone's posts, trying to be a sponge reading everyone's opinions on different topics, love the insight and knowledge on here.
I've shot a few smaller bulls in Colorado many years back with rifle but looking for first elk with bow, and it will be my sons first western trip.

Thanks everyone!!
Lager11

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 27, 2020 •  [Post 17]

Welcome to the forum Lager11. Glad to have you on board! RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ