Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado Archery Elk 7 PP

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Colorado Archery Elk 7 PP

Postby mandrroofing » 03 29, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Its no secret that Preference points from 5-10, theirs a limited selection for archery elk.That being Said My Plan is to hunt 66 or 49. My question to you is ,is 66 pretty much a wilderness hunt?or is base camp from the road still a good option here.I ask because I am bring my family our to camp and really do not want to backpack in more than a couple nights.I have Hunted 65 a lot so I do know that its going to be steep. GMU 49 looks Descent but it looks like it gets more pressure there.I am not trying to kill the biggest bull just a good hunt.let me know if you all have any thoughts on this.Thanks!
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Re: Colorado Archery Elk 7 PP

Postby saddlesore » 03 29, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Years ago, I hunted Buffalo Peaks which is in 49. Look at number of tags awarded in each unit as of last year and go from there. Because of a lot of units in the SW going from to draw from OTC for archery, you can expect more applicants in each. Also in the Pref Point issue of Colorado Outdoor mag. ,look at the herd size in each unit and bull to cow ratio.That will tell you a lot. Shown below.

Unit 49 which the herd count is for Units 49,57 and 58 shows a herd of 3800 with B/C ratio of 31/100.It had 170 tags issued in 2019

Unit 66 which herd count is for 66 & 67 shows a herd of 6560 with a B/C ratio of 22/100. It had 150 tags issued in 2109.

That tells me the that even though there is about twice as many elk in 66 & 67, than 49,57&58, they issued more tags in 49 than 66 and the B/c ratio is better. 49,57, 58 has more national forest in it and a Wilderness area too. Since the number of tags isn't much of a difference between the two, I thing hunting pressure is going to be about the same.

If you choose 49, I can put some X 's on a map around the south side of Buffalo Peaks where I killed bulls. It is also not quite as rugged terrain. Camping is very doable in that area for a family, but water would have to be hauled in.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics