Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Applying for CO Elk Pref Point

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Applying for CO Elk Pref Point

Postby Kessler10 » 03 27, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Any watch outs or callouts if I am wanting to only apply for a Preference Point in CO? Or are you required to also apply for a permit to get a point? Or can I just put Preference point as my first choice and nothing else? Or do I apply for a 0% draw area so when I am unsuccessful I get the point? Wanted to ask here before I dive into the website to see if there is anything anyone can share that would save me time and make it an easier process.

Thansk!
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Re: Applying for CO Elk Pref Point

Postby saddlesore » 03 27, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Page 9 of BG brochure.

Under Preference Point Fee.,top right

If you apply for a point only, your credit card will be charged after the draw. The application fee , Habitat Stamp and qualifying license fee are nonrefundable.
The Fees are only for moose,sheep and goat. $100,NR

Under Preference points, in left column,same page it says Para 3. You can apply for a preference point only as 1st choice, hunt codes are listed in the beginning of each species section: Para 9. Preference point fees no longer apply for elk,deer, pronghorn or bear.

So per the BG brochure,you must pay the app fee, habitat stamp, and qualifying license.For NR that is $9, $10.13, and $82.78.or $101.91 for the pleasure of submitting for the Preference Point.

Easiest way to make sure is go ahead and apply, but I think it will show you can't go any further until you buy the Habitat Stamp and qualifying license. If you don't want to do that,you can stop the process right there
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby erle1139 » 03 27, 2020 •  [Post 3]

first you have to pay your application tax by purchasing a small game hunting license and habitat stamp, regardless if you'll step foot in Colorado this year or not. Then you can put in for a preference point. That's just a one time fee of $9 to apply :roll:
erle1139

Postby Magic » 04 07, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Today is the deadline for applications!!

Because of the uncertainty of my Son's job which had nothing to do with the virus thing, we only applied for PP's this year. I hate it because the license is a motivator for especially me to do the necessary physical activity that I should always do anyway. ;)
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby saddlesore » 04 07, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Magic wrote:Today is the deadline for applications!!

Because of the uncertainty of my Son's job which had nothing to do with the virus thing, we only applied for PP's this year. I hate it because the license is a motivator for especially me to do the necessary physical activity that I should always do anyway. ;)

There is always the 2nd draw or OTC if things look up later on
saddlesore

Postby Magic » 04 07, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Yup, that is always in the back of my mind. ;)
Magic

Postby VT Sasquatch » 04 08, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I was planning to hunt in the fall but I am missing so much time from work with to Covid shutdown that I decided to postpone until fall of 2021. I applied for my preference point on Monday. I think the deadline was yesterday but once you bought a qualifying small game license and a habitat stamp, you enter a code like E-P-999-99-P. The total cost was $102 and some change.
VT Sasquatch

Postby saddlesore » 04 08, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Better to sacrifice something this year and go hunting than wait until next year when something forces you to not go.The older you get, the more you will see the wisdom of this
saddlesore

Postby Pop-r » 04 09, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Saddlesore and I think alike alot of the time. Never have been fond of missing elk season. I broke my leg in 15' and it almost shut me down. Did for a couple years. Still not but about 80% but thanks to God I can do anything I need to do. I won't miss again if I can go.
Pop-r

Postby VT Sasquatch » 04 12, 2020 •  [Post 10]

I think that is good advice. I hunt every year. I just hunt different places and animals depending on the year. I always hunt in my home state of Pennsylvania. I am going to hunt deer in Vermont this fall instead of elk in Colorado. I run a small business with a partner and I have to plan around that some. I also am short on money right now with the shutdown so I decided to rearrange things. I hope it wasn’t a mistake.
VT Sasquatch

Postby saddlesore » 04 13, 2020 •  [Post 11]

VT Sasquatch wrote:I think that is good advice. I hunt every year. I just hunt different places and animals depending on the year. I always hunt in my home state of Pennsylvania. I am going to hunt deer in Vermont this fall instead of elk in Colorado. I run a small business with a partner and I have to plan around that some. I also am short on money right now with the shutdown so I decided to rearrange things. I hope it wasn’t a mistake.

Hey VT. I am a CO resident and have helped quite a few guys from out of state hunt here. I will say now, unless you are hunting private land, elk hunting in Colorado has become a joke. CPW inflates the elk herd numbers to keep the NR hunters coming., any OTC unit is so crowded you almost have to take your own parking space. Draw units are a bit better, but you need upward of 8-10 points to possibly get into a lower pressured unit.. Now since CO has joined the fray of other states requiring a Qualifying licenese it cost a NR about $100 just o apply for an elk tag in the draw

Now that they have changed the season with a big break between 1st and 2nd you will see big point creep taking place for the 1st season I think because a lot of NR's don't want to fight the likelyhood of more snow.

I'd advise looking at WY,MT or ID
saddlesore

Postby Magic » 05 01, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Our requisite Small Game license came today which allowed us to add a PP to our account. Son Marty's job situation made it our only choice for this year and then this C19 virus situation confirmed that we did indeed make the best decision. Hopefully by next year his job situation will be stable and we can make our Elk hunt together.
Magic