Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Show yourself!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Show yourself!

Postby SilentDeath » 03 20, 2020 •  [Post 1]

I believe on the app it is called "a bull's full send bugle". Paul has referenced it on a podcast as a bull demanding the other bull to show yourself! I found what I think is an awesome video example, although I'm curious on your guys's opinion if you would consider it to be that since he ends with Grunt's / chuckles. Would you call them grunts or chuckles after watching the video? 19:00 mark is when he makes the sound I'm talking about. They definitely got the bull worked up and he was peeing all over himself and ready for a fight. Unfortunately his drop away rest malfunctions.... https://youtu.be/MuJF7RPE8uM
SilentDeath

Re: Show yourself!

Postby Swede » 03 20, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I do not have time right now to watch the video, I have had bulls bark at me on numerous occasions. Never has one followed up with chuckles that I remember. I don't think it is a big deal as chuckles are just a way of calling in the other bull.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Swede » 03 20, 2020 •  [Post 3]

After watching the video, I don't think the bull made a bark, but he was demanding the hunter (bull) to show himself.

It is hard to say anything negative about his hunting, but I do not do things the way the video hunter does.
He bugled all the way into the bull. After locating the bull, I would get as close as possible, staying quiet until I thought he should be near.
He stood out in the open and bugled several times. Stay in cover and move from where you called from. The bull hung up and kept watching where the hunter called from. That is typical. You need to move if you are hunting solo. The bull gave him a shot opportunity, but based on my experience, that is uncommon. Again; you need to move away some from your calling place and stay in the shadows.
His tree stand setup was too low to the ground and the swirling winds likely would have given him away before a bull would have given him a good shot. He knew that, but moving uphill and higher in the tree could have given him a great advantage. Draws and basin are harder to hunt than ridges and sidehills. You need to climb higher, but consider the elevation advantage of being uphill as part of your tree stand height.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 03 20, 2020 •  [Post 4]

First I think his arrow was deflected

Seems that the bull didnt like what he was seeing, but wanted to see what he was hearing. Ive had bulls and cows do the same when They dont see an elk, sometimes see me, turn and move on.
Ive watched cow command to show for hours on a hunting partner when she wasnt looking he moved ,the cow barked .

Once the started walking away I would have waited, and called from a near by position I wouldn't have chased after him with the call.

I was impressed that he waited on the shot
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 03 20, 2020 •  [Post 5]

I do not mean to belittle or in any way pick on the young hunter. We have all been there and even worse. The quality of his calls was good.
I was not particularly impressed that he stood still with the bull coming in. If he had moved at all, the elk would have spotted him immediately and left. Freezing in place is hunting 101 the first day in school.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 03 20, 2020 •  [Post 6]

I just skipped to the 18 minute mark, but it sure looks and sounds like that bull is asking the "other bull" to step out. He isn't really aggressive in it though, more whinniy then aggression. I have been wrong before though and will be again... wish it was August 30th :D
Elkhunttoo

Postby jmorr » 03 27, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I haven't seen that on the Elknut app. Maybe I need to update it?? That bull really put on a show. It was cool to hear the whines up close like that. I have heard that sound referred to as the "bark-scream-chuckle". I think that's what Dirk Durham calls it. I interpret it as if someone asked you to show yourself, and you responded with "screw you, YOU show yourself". I called in a nice bull this past year the first evening of hunting. He came to a point where it seemed like he didn't want to come any further and barked at me. I "bark-screamed-chuckled", or whatever you call it, and ran forward to the edge of the clearing he was on the other side of. That bull came freaking unglued and responded with the nastiest challenge bugle I've heard in the woods. He wanted to rip my face off. I responded in turn, and he came charging in and through that clearing with no thought of danger. This is where the story turns embarrassing though, so I'll stop there :lol:
jmorr