Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Runnin and Gunnin

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Runnin and Gunnin

Postby Swede » 03 07, 2020 •  [Post 1]

I was thinking about my advise to Firehunter about not calling until he learns a little about elk and hunting them. Could he learn to effectively use a call between now and September? Sure he could, but here is what I see with so many new callers. They have read some articles and viewed some video with guys high fiving and dancing around a dead elk. What they don't tell you is probably more important than what they show.
Where I hunt running and gunning is mostly you running and the elk gunning for parts unknown. I sit in my tree stand and hear the callers coming for a long way off. They are bugling every four or five minutes, and sometimes more often. (Calling is like putting sugar or cream in your coffee. A little goes a long way and too much will ruin what you have. BTW: I hate sugar in coffee, but that is another subject.) I hear them coming my way and hear them pass by. Any elk in the country can hear them coming and keep track of where they are at. When the hunter(s) gets fairly close, the elk move away. Rare is the guy that calls and waits for the elk to respond or come in. Many give out a long three note bugle and add the grunts to it to try and sound like the guys on video. Some are terrible in the sounds they make. They do not realize there is a different call for different situations. They are clueless about setting up in the right place if you want to have a chance to ambush the bull when he come looking for the caller.
I know some of you that frequent the forum are good elk hunters, and understand what calling can and cannot do. What are your thoughts on starting out calling?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Runnin and Gunnin

Postby Rangerz » 03 07, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I remember when I first started with elk hunting I tried to learn all the calls that I could. Many not very successfully.

I think you can get by with a location bugle, cow chirp and raking.

Those have been the most beneficial to me.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Re: Runnin and Gunnin

Postby Lefty » 03 08, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Rangerz wrote:I remember when I first started with elk hunting I tried to learn all the calls that I could. Many not very successfully.
I think you can get by with a location bugle, cow chirp and raking. Those have been the most beneficial to me.

The same approach I have-had
No grunting, no chuckles no nervous grunts , no excited cow( foux cow in estrus)

I give guys who are starting out goose hunting,.. a simple cluck the first 20 flights

I wish I understood other bull sounds years ago ( raking, foot stomping branch braking)

While this i tough to do during hunting season. listen to herds and you will gain a huge understanding of elk talk
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H