Your Move 2020, Episode #2

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Your Move 2020, Episode #2

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 03, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Tag: Bull tag
Season/Hunt: Smoke pole; solo hunt
Time/Date/Location: Early morning; early October; in an elk state
Camp/gear: Base camp.

It's the next to the last day of your muzzle loader elk hunt. The night before (after dark) you received a response to your locator bugle above a skid road you'd walked in on approximately 1/4 of a mile. As you walk in before daylight today (next to the last day of your 7 day hunt), you hear the same sounding bull above you on the side hill of an east/west flowing basin. As it starts to get light and the bugling persists, you've decided you'll move as close to the bull as you can without making any elk sounds (verbal or non-verbal). The bull continues to sound off as you move closer to where he's singing. Four, five, seven bugles echo throughout the basin from the same bull and you hear cow mews as you get closer. Nobody seems alarmed; it now appears the elk are starting to move from feed to bed. The thermals are flowing steadily down into your snout and you smell elk! You’re now within 60-70 yards of where you think the elk may be. As you stop, slowly scan, and wait for an indicator, something, anything..... you hear and see movement above you. There is an elk, possibly "the" bull, standing with his head completely covered with Douglas Fir bows less than 40 yards up the slope broadside. You know this is a bull (3 point or better) area. Safety comes off and you settle your sights on the bull’s vital and then slowly lower your rifle and click the safety back on. You're not sure of the target (legal animal) so you do the right thing and don’t take the shot. Less than seconds later, a very nice, thick beamed 5 point moves away from the fir and walks (not bolts) back uphill to what you assume are his cows. He’s on the other side of the fir tree, giving you the moon, heading back up. At this point, what do you do? You do have your elk diaphragm in your mouth. The cover is relatively thick but is littered with elk trails.
That’s it, that’s where you currently stand. What is your move to try and bring this bull home for dinner? Your move….
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Your Move 2020, Episode #2

Postby Swede » 03 03, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I do not know if there is one right answer to this, but I would get the smoke pole ready and give out a soft cow mew. If I have decent setup, I certainly won't blow the herd out with that call, and he will likely turn to see what made the cow sound.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 03 03, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Sorta depends. Im not shooting a muzzleloader offhanded at an elk moving away
Swedes idea could very well work,. How thick is all the cover around me, how noisy are the other elk! How noisy can I be. the wind is right and with a herd you can make a lot of noise. I might toss a branch and cow call
Or Texas heart shot :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby muzzyelk » 03 03, 2020 •  [Post 4]

sneak after it till I get a shot, whenever I try to cow call to an elk i spook it. :oops:
muzzyelk

Postby Tigger » 03 04, 2020 •  [Post 5]

gun up, safety off, soft mew, trigger pull, sandwich eat, bull quarter, meat pack, camp break, home drive, wife greet, meat freeze, steak thaw, Alpine Touch sprinkle, grill on, steak sizzle, ketchup drizzle, fork mouth, eyes close, savorrrrrr...…...
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 03 05, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Tigger wrote:gun up, safety off, soft mew, trigger pull, sandwich eat, bull quarter, meat pack, camp break, home drive, wife greet, meat freeze, steak thaw, Alpine Touch sprinkle, grill on, steak sizzle, ketchup drizzle, fork mouth, eyes close, savorrrrrr...…...

I like all of that except the ketchup drizzle. Come on man, are you 3 years old? :lol:
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby 7mmfan » 03 05, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I have very little experience in this situation, but it would seem to me that since they don't know you're there, the best opportunity is probably to continue to not let them know you're there. Move after him as quietly as possible, keeping an eye out for others. He isn't going far, probably no more than 20 or 30 yards. Have your diaphragm in your mouth, and your gun ready to fire. If you catch him moving in the open again, a soft cow chirp should stop him. When it happens, it will happen fast.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan