Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lost and/or Found

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lost and/or Found

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 08, 2012 •  [Post 1]

What have you folks either lost or found of significance on your elk adventures? This should be interesting ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Lost and/or Found

Postby Lefty » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 2]

In two years time I found a dozen broadheads in a small thicket in Washington state, Just walking thru.
Lost a quiver of 4 arrows this fall,..
More neat country to hunt
Found a nice pair of 5x5 mulie shed apx 27-29 where the rock was cracked with the only soft dirt and sol around laying like they dropped off together right off the buck.
The buck had a view of everything
I found out the BLM guys dont alway tell the truth :P
A whole lot of solituded, And I really like elk hunting
Im sure there is more
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby foxvalley » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I lost a pair of my glasses out there somewhere..... lost and gone forever,.....oh my darling.....I was wearing my contacts and brought the glasses along just in case. I now double triple check the immediate erea around where my pack was opened.

Last year,and a different,brand new pair of glasses,I found in the dirt,at camp,after searching the mtns.backtracking,and trying to find all the spots the two previous days that I had taken my pack off. Hours and hours and miles and miles of looking for the glasses.

One year,opening morning,I rode my bike miles down to the drainage I was planning on hunting. Parked, and started to climb...... something didn't "feel" right,looked down,and my quiver of arrows......... was gone. Now I don't care what type of bow you shoot,how fancy or old,NONE of them will get you an elk without something to throw at them. I remember getting snagged on some brush a mile or so back....... I found an arrow here, I found an arrow there,two hours later,it's now full light,I start my climb.....

My bro-in law lost some arrows climbing one of my favorite ridges,the arrows are still there, and it spooks me going up there now knowing they are somewhere on that trail.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Lost a $1500 hearing-aid. I suppose I must have brushed it off when I pulled my binoculars off to look at some elk about 4 miles back in the brush. Luckily it was still under warranty. But it still cost me $800 to replace it. OUCH!!! Now when I go hunting I tie a piece of mono fishing line on them and clip it to my hat. Never have found anything of value. Just a few sheds and several no good arrows.
>>>---WW---->

Postby BowElkDwn » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I have lost a lot of stuff over the years. Arrow's, hats, shirts, bugles, cheap pair of bino's. The one that hurt the most was right after I got my first rino 130. I have carried gps's for a long time and never lost those cheaper ones. Once I finally spend the money on a rino I leave it sitting on a rock in the middle of no where. Went back looking for it and know the general area but never could find it. I have been back to the same area many times and always find myself looking on the ground. Nothing... :x
BowElkDwn
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby T/H » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 6]

i lost a Delorme PN40 gps one time. that sucked!
T/H

Postby eltaco » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Two years ago I found a part of an airplane... looked to be fairly recent. There must have been some sort of cleanup effort for it as it's the only part I've found in that area.

I also found a petty badly shredded flight suit about a mile from the airplane part. Not 100% certain they were related... but if so at least the feller was headed in the right direction. Unfortunately, he had about 5mi over mountains left to go.

My buddy found a carving in a tree 14mi back.. it said "the elk are a myth" LOL!
eltaco

Postby dapper » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 8]

This wasn't elk hunting, but a few years ago while hunting a public hunting grounds 30 miles from home I lost my garmin gps. Later that afternoon, the doorbell rung and I heard the mailbox close. By the time I got there a car was driving away and the gps was in the mailbox. I never knew I lost it and all I can think is it fell out on a major trail back to the parking lot when I got something out of my pack. The gps displayed my name and address when started up and also had a waypoint marked home, which they used I don't know. I was thankful that one of the many honest hunters out there found it!
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Postby RockyMountainHi » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Have lost arrows out of a quiver, gloves, sunglasses and a plastic snap case of my 4 favorite diaphragm calls--still looking for that one. I have found a few arrows (not my own) and plenty of solitude. So on balance, I have lost some low end items and not yet found the motherlode. Guess I'll stick to finding elk and not losing my bearings.
RockyMountainHi

First Name: Barton
Last Name: Hill

Postby Swede » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I lost my Silva Ranger compass. I have lost arrows, a bugle and a folding saw. Probably my worst loss was an API Baby Grand tree stand with all of the steps, harness and other items I keep in a tree. I was sure I left that equipment in a certain tree and at a certain water hole, but when I got back there it was gone for sure.
I found a Garmin Rino 130 in Oregon, in perfect shape. Bowelkdown if you send me your address, you can have it. I found a pair of brush shearers, some arrows and more than a few sheds. I found a 6 or 8 ounce Coke bottle with Coca Cola Bottling Co. Burns Oregon, moulded into the bottom. That was interesting.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby foxvalley » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 11]

[quote="Swede"]I lost my Silva Ranger compass.
I found a Garmin Rino 130 in Oregon, in perfect shape. Bowelkdown if you send me your address, you can have it

I have a silva compass thats been taking up space in my pack that I never used,swede, I'll sent it to you if you want it.
foxvalley

Postby Swede » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Foxvalley I would love to get the Silva Ranger. I am sending Bowelkdown the GPS. so we will keep the shipping business busy. Thanks much. I will send you a PM.
Swede

Postby BowElkDwn » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Wow.... Thanks Swede. That is awsome.
BowElkDwn
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby easeup » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 14]

many years back, we were leading a packstring back out to the TH with 8 horses ( 2 riders w/3 each in tow). In that game you get 'em going and keep moving so they do not have time to dilly around or go on the wrong side of a tree or whatever to cause a train wreck. I got all the way out and realized no wallet in my pocket (which contained about $700 cash). Needless to say, a fast return back up the moutain the moutain to about mike marker 4 where I had to dismount at a gate and there it lay on the side of the trail, still unmolested......whew! :)

I also have found at least 3 knives that I can remember in the darndest places; and one of those Coleman propane bottle trees.

What have I lost in all of those trips?......my youth comes to mind
easeup

Postby foxvalley » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 15]

foxvalley wrote:
Swede wrote:I lost my Silva Ranger compass.
I found a Garmin Rino 130 in Oregon, in perfect shape. Bowelkdown if you send me your address, you can have it

I have a silva compass thats been taking up space in my pack that I never used,swede, I'll sent it to you if you want it.

Swede, I just pulled out my compass....... it's a coleman, not a silva,must have lost the silva,and replaced it with this. It's still yours if you want it...... or..... I have another compass,never figured out how to use it,but I bet you do. The name says keuffel&esser co. and is the finest compass I ever saw. Since you were kind enough to just give bowelkdn the gps. I will let you take your pick,whichever one that you will use.

compressed compass.jpg
compressed compass.jpg (22.45 KiB) Viewed 6860 times
foxvalley

Postby Swede » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Foxvalley, I appreciate your offer, but I have a couple of good compasses. They are not Rangers, but do all I need. I normally just keep them in case I have a problem with my GPS or in case I get lost. Neither of these have been a problem, so that is why I have never replaced the one I lost.
Swede

Postby pointysticks » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 17]

the "cool" in this thread is strong!!

nice moves guys. very cool.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lefty » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Lost and found

Dropped my pants in the dark before a a up hill climb.
Three weeks later my knife which had slid off my belt was still there.
Now that knfe and tag are always in my pack.,... Lost my pack once,.. Dropped it in a rush to get infront odf a bull and took way to long to find,.. Somewhere in my mind I placed it further away, after looking for an hour it was 30 yards from where I sat and shot :oops:
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 19]

I did the same as Lefty once. Dropped my pack to skeek in on some elk. It took the rest of the morning to locate it. Damn camo!!!! Now my pack is always on my back when I'm on the move. Just one of the many lessons learned the hard way. LOL!
>>>---WW---->

Postby cnelk » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 20]

found a discarded meth lab once...
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby FemoralArchery » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 21]

Found a Bowing landing gear off of a bomber that crashed back in the 50s(I think).

Also found 5 live 50 cal rounds in a metal belt for a machine gun. My grandpa told me that when he was young they used to go out and shoot stud horses from a helecoptor out of the local wild population to control it.

Lots of arrowheads.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Lost and/or Found

Postby Herb » 12 11, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Lots of bugle tubes in areas I was sure no man had seen before.

Picked up a big box off the highway in Colorado, had a tent, Coleman stove, lantern and a lot of camp basics, sure they were missed.
Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb

Postby cnelk » 12 12, 2012 •  [Post 23]

hi Herb!
Glad to see you here!

Everyone...
Herb is the the guy behind the video camera on my 61 hunt.

I hope to return his efforts when he draws 61
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 12, 2012 •  [Post 24]

Herb, welcome! I hear ya on the Bugles, I'd bet that is the # 1 items lost by us elk hunters! (grin)

What is unusual is the things found by many of you guys??? I've not been that lucky? (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby wapitibowman » 12 12, 2012 •  [Post 25]

This past year, I lost all of my calls and the ivories from my first 6x6 bull.They were all in a bag together and I couldn't find them again when we went up later in the year. I was most bummed about the ivories . . . so I will have to get me a new set in 9+ months!!!

Wapitibowman
wapitibowman

First Name: R
Last Name: E

Postby muleguy » 12 14, 2012 •  [Post 26]

Lost my release while dressing down for trip out to camp-found release 5 days later on trail in area where lost but it now has bear teeth marks on shank.
This is my favorite and lucky release now!
muleguy

First Name: joe
Last Name: hundley

Postby pointysticks » 12 14, 2012 •  [Post 27]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I did the same as Lefty once. Dropped my pack to skeek in on some elk. It took the rest of the morning to locate it. Damn camo!!!! Now my pack is always on my back when I'm on the move. Just one of the many lessons learned the hard way. LOL!

this^^^ i passed on a great AZ mulie a few years back.. i dropped my pack and started my stalk. the herd kept feeding away from me. up and over hills. i kept following. then BAM! i remembered my pack a few ridges back. i quit stalking right away and headed back. it took all of us to find that thing. hours! it had my wallet, keys, everything inside.

now i just keep it with me and i work practice bowshots while wearing the thing into the rotation..accuracy suffers a tiny bit, but whatever. it would have been awful. i did lose my first nikon rangefinder that trip.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby foxvalley » 12 15, 2012 •  [Post 28]

I made this same mistake,get close to the elk,remove pack,then sneak in.Afterwards,go back, then start the search. lol
A carefully dulled up longbow will disapear in just a few yds.
foxvalley