Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Looking for my first elk hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Looking for my first elk hunt

Postby stikshooter » 02 19, 2020 •  [Post 1]

New to the forum, wanted to introduce myself and try to learn all I can about out of state elk hunting.
I am looking to do a elk hunt with me and at least two other guys. I found this forum by asking about drop camps in Colorado on the Campfire. I am not stuck on Colorado, just like the ease of OTC tags. I have never applied for a out of state hunt, and am trying to learn all about points and preferance points etc... We are considering a drop camp, but I myself have never hunted out of state, so I am not opposed to a guided hunt.
Looking at 2021 season. What state would be best to look at ? Areas? Outfitters?

Thanks,
Eric
stikshooter

Re: Looking for my first elk hunt

Postby Swede » 02 19, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the forum stikshooter. Asking what State is akin to asking what brand and model of pickup I should drive. I will give you my take on this, but by no means is this the last word on the subject.
If I wanted to go out west and elk hunt for the first time, I would likely start with a hunt plan from Indian Summer. Considering how much you will likely invest in a hunt, his DIY plans are cheap. I am not plugging him because he is a moderator here, but you will get a lot of good information and a hunt plan and save yourself a lot of time and ultimately a lot of money. It took me years to figure out some of the things he offers. He will also advise you on a good guide if that is your preference. You are not guaranteed an elk, but you can at least be dangerous to the elk on your first hunt.
As for preference points, you need to decide if you want to hold out for one of the very exclusive hunts that take 15-20 years to draw or if you prefer a better than average unit that you can get every 3-5 years. Personally after waiting over 10 years and not being close to drawing a top unit, I wish I had gone with the "better than average" unit. I am sure Indian Summer can advise you on some good units and tie them to his plans. Unlike guided hunts, his plans can be built on as you learn and can be used year after year.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 19, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Welcome to WapitiTalk bud, glad you swung by. I’m sure you’ll get some good recommendations from our crew here (as you already have from Swede). Should be a great discussion ;) Let your research and planning begin! A huge, extremely enjoyable part of wapiti hunting is the path you have to travel to get there, to the time you finally step into the elk woods (where to go, OTC or try with points, getting your gear lined up, practicing with your weapon, learning to understand elk noises and work on calling, conditioning, and working with your partner(s) on all of this along the way). I’m excited for you and your partners! RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 02 20, 2020 •  [Post 4]

The letters OTC make lots of hunters think it’s easier than anywhere else. Wyoming is a piece of cake. Too late for there though. My suggestion for 2020 would be Montana.

The “ease” of otc is directly related to the difficulty of finding elk while competing with a half a million other hunters.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 02 20, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Welcome!

I was once in your shoes. It takes a lot of hard work, a goodly amount of luck, an enormous amount of perseverance, some serious cashola, and a dash of intelligence.

Or you can buy one of Indian Summer's plans and knock it all in half or less. Except the dash of intelligence, you still need that!

Or you can roll the dice with finding a guide on your own and have a great vacation. But it may leave you wanting to have done it yourself.

Saddlesore will be around shortly to give you great advice on a great outfitter. If you go that way, check out his recommendation.

In the meantime, there are a couple of things you need to do regardless of what hunt you choose and where. Get in shape. Way better shape. Unless you run triathlons, you are not in good enough shape. The mountain always wins, it is just a matter of how much you suffer in defeat!

Gear. You need good mountain gear. Start looking now for gear that will make your trip more enjoyable at a minimum and maybe even critical to your health and safety. Lots of people here know what gear to get, so start asking questions. We love to spend other people's money!

One warning, once you get bit by the elk fever bug, you can never shake the disease!
Tigger

Postby stikshooter » 02 20, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Saddlesore, was how I found this forum. He had a suggestion for Colorado and suggested I talk to Indian Summer. I will do just that, but wanted to learn as much as possible before contacting either.
I beleive you about the being in shape, I figure its going to kick my butt. Im 51years old, and in decent shape but nowhere near mountain climbing shape.
Looking at clothing now. Pretty much have the guns and optics covered.

Eric
stikshooter