Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Hunting Partner....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Hunting Partner....

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 08, 2020 •  [Post 1]

What or who makes a good one in your opinion (or what or who doesn’t)? That’s it, let’s hear your thoughts.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Hunting Partner....

Postby Swede » 02 08, 2020 •  [Post 2]

To me it is most important to be reliable.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhntr08 » 02 09, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Someone who is dedicated. Was going to say serious, but too serious can be it’s own problem. Don’t start shooting your bow or working up a load the week before we leave. Don’t take a mile hike and say you’re in shape. Don’t bring a bottle of bourbon for every night in camp. Don’t ask to borrow my stuff because you forgot to pack something at the last minute. Be ready when I come pick you up.
Been through all of the above at one time or another. I understand that things happen. I had to bow out a couple years ago because of a twisted knee, but that’s been the only time.
Any wonder why I hunt solo most of the time?
Elkhntr08

Postby saddlesore » 02 09, 2020 •  [Post 4]

It is pretty simple. You don't have to list a bunch of things. You need hunting partner you can count on in all matters.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 02 09, 2020 •  [Post 5]

I understand a newer hunter may not know much and may not have a lot. That is ok with me. I will help as much as I can.
I don't like habitual and endless complainers. Rare is the time that hunting is a one day shooting gallery. It happens once in a blue moon, but there are a lot more long hard hunts that can end in tag soup.
I don't object if you are tired and want to sleep in some morning. It's ok to go to town and restock, and get a store bought breakfast. Just don't wear me down with complaining. I did not make the weather and I do not supply the elk. I would rather you go home than continually complain.
Swede

Postby Old school » 02 10, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Someone who’s willing to say “we’ve been beating our heads against a wall all week and haven’t found elk, time to do something totally different, like hunt right by a paved road.” Found our only bull on a Colorado bowhunt that way a few years back.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby 7mmfan » 02 10, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Everyone has good points. I think a lot of what is needed in a partner depends on the type of hunt you're doing. Is this a truck camp with a wall tent and you're day tripping out? The demands of that trip are significantly different than if you're hiking 8 miles in with camp on your back and the intention of packing all that meat back out.

I think the critical components are as follows:
- Team Player
- Reliable (on time, doesn't flake out for various reasons)
- Willing to get the job done, whatever it is
- Also knows when to pull the plug or at least suggest it, because sometimes it's the right thing to do.

I'm lucky to have my Dad who still gets around in the woods about as well as I do, as well as a friend that is as passionate about the sport as I am. Between those two, I'm always covered, and never have worried about being left high and dry.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Kessler10 » 02 10, 2020 •  [Post 8]

oh man, I could tell a couple stories on this topic. Lets just say I am starting to hunt more solo then with a partner.

One thing I have found is it must be a partner that has the same passion for elk hunting. Id rather hunt with someone who maybe isn't in the best physical shape versus someone who is in tip top shape but does not share the same passion I have for the experience of the hunt.

For my hunting partner I would take mental over physical 10 times out of 10. Dont get me wrong physical is key, especially how I currently hunt, but all those muscles mean nothing if you cannot take the mental highs and lows that come with back country hunting. the p[physical stuff you can help them with and teach, mental you cannot.
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Postby Swede » 02 10, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Another thing that comes to mind, is respect. Does your partner respect you and your hunt? Does he/she respect the game they shoot or attempt to shoot. I want a partner that is not a total "me first" hunter, takes only high percentage shots, and removes all of the game meat from their critter. Much of this can be taught to new hunters, but maybe not all.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 02 10, 2020 •  [Post 10]

This seems like a good thread to ask this. Here is my dilemma. I have a neighbor that hunts with me and my steady hunting partner. I am not in the best of shape and there are things I can't do that I use to do, but I don't depend on anyone.

This guy about 75or so, had stroke a few years back and said he couldn't afford to do the PT. He has a few problems with it (really more than a few). He drives a big Ford 250 with a big slide in camper and pulls a 3 horse trailer. He wants to follow us to the hunt area, about 300miles. I drive a steady 68 mph.He goes 45-75 miles an hour and it varies. If I slow down to let him catch up, he slows down. He weaves in and out of his lanes.Scares the hell out of us. He has two big mules and needs help getting on and off now because of his one leg not up to snuff. Plus he needs help loading them.Two years in a row now he has fallen getting off .First year he really tore up his face, but would not quit. He was bleeding profusely because he is on blood thinners and it took awhile to get it stopped. In 2019, he invited his son,with no invite from us. He wouldn't help his dad and was general pain in the butt.This guy tells us where he will be sitting .When we go to collect him, he is gone.When we finally find him, he tells us where all he went.Scares the hell out of us. Sometimes he can't come up until Friday night before the season, and always leaves 1/2 way thru the season.Scares the hell out of us about him driving alone.This last year, he was getting ready to leave and noticed a tire on his trailer was flat.He commented that he had the trailer in for service before the trip. He could not loosen the lug nuts and it was all I could do with a 3ft cheater bar to do it. I guarantee that wheel hadn't been off for 10 years+.

We have hunted together on and off (mostly off) since 1976. He is the type of guy that would give you the shirt off his back and go without to help you. He really needs to hang it up. How can we tell him without losing the friendship? He is my neighbor directly behind me and my hunting partner lives on the other side of him. I have not minded kinda looking after him,but in the last few years, I have problems even taking care of myself.
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 10, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Man Vince, that's a tough nut to crack right there. Its not gonna be comfortable for you or him, but I feel you may have to have a conversation with your buddy/neighbor. The safety issues alone warrant that you offer your thoughts (I don't hunt down your way but I wouldn't want to driving on the same highway as him, with that big ol' trailer swinging in and out of traffic, at various speeds). The safety issue about him falling off his mule, and, not being at the place in the woods he said he was gonna be is also concerning. How to talk to him about it? I suppose maybe surfacing your concerns over a few cold ones (maybe just talking the safety issues to start with, then, bringing up the other concerns as necessary). How will he respond? How would I? How would you? I only hope that when the point comes where I just shouldn't be doing that sort of thing anymore that I have the presence of mind to agree, reluctantly embrace it, and finish the rest of my years at hunting camp as the head cook and bottle washer of the camp. I ran into an old boy in N Idaho 5-6 years ago that did just that. He hung out at the camp with his old pup and seemed to enjoy his current situation (couldn't hike the hills anymore due to health issues) and was fine with still being able to hang out in the elk woods, albeit in a different role. I wish you the best of luck in this tough situation mister.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tigger » 02 10, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Vince, Does he have a wife? If so, this may not be something that you have to shoulder alone. If you know her, maybe have a chat with her first? Get her thoughts and suggestions?

Otherwise, I dunno. I would have to ruminate on that awhile. I suppose pushing him off a cliff isn't an option? :D :o
Tigger

Postby Swede » 02 10, 2020 •  [Post 13]

I think I would go over and visit him some afternoon very soon. Tell him you are concerned for his health and safety and that you can't offer to share that camp with him again, but would like him to go on a different hunt where just the two of you can be together. Let him know well before he starts getting ready to go, and see if there is a good alternative where you drive and he comes along to "help" you.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 02 11, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Tigger wrote:Vince, Does he have a wife? If so, this may not be something that you have to shoulder alone. If you know her, maybe have a chat with her first? Get her thoughts and suggestions?

Otherwise, I dunno. I would have to ruminate on that awhile. I suppose pushing him off a cliff isn't an option? :D :o

As I understand it, him and his wife are not on the best of terms.So I don't think that would work
saddlesore

Postby saddlesore » 02 11, 2020 •  [Post 15]

Swede wrote:I think I would go over and visit him some afternoon very soon. Tell him you are concerned for his health and safety and that you can't offer to share that camp with him again, but would like him to go on a different hunt where just the two of you can be together. Let him know well before he starts getting ready to go, and see if there is a good alternative where you drive and he comes along to "help" you.

That would still leave me taking care of him and as I have said ,it is all I can do to take care of me now.Plus the driving to and from and the rest of it is bad. My camper is only big enough for one , and I can't haul 4 animals in my trailer.Two is max so I can haul hay too.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 02 11, 2020 •  [Post 16]

I was thinking you might be able to just take him on a short hunt and try to get a deer or elk on a drive by shooting or very short walk in the woods. There is a time we all need to call an end to hunting. I hope nobody has to tell me. I will be ready to be a "camp manager" and let the younger folks do the hunting. There is a time to stay home too and not get in the way.
Swede

Postby Kessler10 » 02 11, 2020 •  [Post 17]

feel like maybe half the battle is just getting the topic brought up to him and get him talking and thinking about it.

Maybe try to start things off by talking about your hunt this past year and it being more difficult than usual, giving him specific examples. Maybe reference the rifle hunt you did alone with all the snow and what the challenges there were that you never really had to address in the past, but you do now because of XYZ? Or maybe the hunt you did with him this past year was more of a bear than your solo hunt? Kind of sounds like it.

And how you have started to really think about how you will make the next few years work. Maybe this will get him talking and thinking about.

How aware is he of the work you have to put in for him to be able to go on these hunts?

Maybe by you sharing more details about how you view your current capabilities to hunt over the next couple years will make him feel more comfortable to admit his inabilities to hunt like he wants to? And help him better see the strain it puts on you. Once he sees that he sounds like the type of guy that will know what the best thing to do is for your friendship. Hopefully.
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler