Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Forage

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Forage

Postby Swede » 01 20, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Let's start talking habitat some, beginning with forage. What makes the forage in your hunting area good for elk during the time you hunt there? What are some of the forages species they are ingesting?

Where I hunt the elk forage mostly on native grass, but there is quite a bit of elderberry and likely huckleberry that gets eaten too. In July the grass is green, but by September it has dried out on top in the openings and away from water. I don't notice that the elk quit eating grass just because it has cured out on top. After a good rain when the area has cooled off there are lots of mushrooms that must be like candy to the critters.

Also, do you ever look inside your elk's stomach to see what it was eating? What did you find?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Elk Forage

Postby Lefty » 01 20, 2020 •  [Post 2]

We have mixed grasses left during season
Basically the elk are stuck eating anything the cows haven’t eaten

This year the 4500 acre pasture cows were dumped the end Of August and intensely grazed .

Best thing that ever happened is the “ grazing Associations . Ranchers counting abilities improved
Pasture that use to be assigned say 1000 head now get a 1000 head Instead of miscounts or trucking mistakes
Seems to be fewer “ lost cows” in the wrong pastures too
Most cows end up where they should be for their allotted time
More elk feed imagine that
I heard the main pasture I hunt plans to up the animal Unit AU because there is so much more “ grass” ( way fewer cows)
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Elk change their eating diet as the year progresses. Early spring during green up,they will eat about any new grass, Mid summer before curing takes place,they get a litle finicky.The cured/matured grass,before it really dries contains the most nutrients and elk will seek out the most tender native grass. Brome that might have been blown in or carried in is one of the toughest.Come late fall,their diet changes to more of a browser.Once snow sets in and before they migrate to lower habitats, aspen, young deciduous trees and such get used when then snow is too deep
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I too have noticed that an elk's diet changes a lot. This is true even in the September archery season. By late in the month I have seen where their belly is full of Elk sedge that they would not touch early in the month when there are mere green grasses available. I assume that is why their diet changes. It could be a nutrient thing too I suppose.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics