Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Which week to hunt during archery season in Colorado?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Which week to hunt during archery season in Colorado?

Postby SilentDeath » 01 09, 2020 •  [Post 1]

So, last year I hunted the second week of archery season. Didn't find any cows in heat, but did talk to one group of guys who were jumping all over the place and they had gotten into some rutting action somewhere, but unfortunately didn't have the elk nut app and didn't know what to do :-) so when I told them about it, the one guy started downloading it on the spot. Anyways, I know it's kind of all about right time right place to find a cow in heat, but wondering if it's worth hunting the last eight to ten days of September versus the first 8 to 10 days, because I think I want to avoid the muzzleloader season. Which is a bummer that it's also during the best rutting time :-) I should qualify that last year was in an OTC unit, but this year I may take my preference point and go to a limited entry unit. I know peak estrus is around the 20th to the 22nd. And I just read that Colorado changed their season structure to be fixed days for the next 5 years for the archery season to be from September 2nd to 30th, no matter what day it begins and ends on during the week. So it appears this year's muzzleloader season will be wrapping up on September 20th. Should I expect the 20th to the 26th to be hit really hard with archery hunters? Because now that is when I'm thinking I will go. Since the muzzleloader season is a little earlier this year. And labor day is later this year, and would muck up the week before the muzzleloader season. Too many dang people up in the mountains that weekend! Maybe I should note that I'm coming from Minnesota and can only hunt for 7 days.
SilentDeath

Re: Which week to hunt during archery season in Colorado?

Postby saddlesore » 01 10, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Muzzle loader season is not peak rut. Don't know who told you that. I have hunted it for many many years and though there maybe some bulls bugling, little if any breeding is talking place.
The last two weeks in September are prime and even though some Colorado residents hunt early ,most serious ones get with it then.

People think ML hunters spook all the elk,when in fact there are many many more archers in the elk woods than ML hunters. More than 50% of those are walking around squeezing their Hoochi Mama calls very 5 minutes,all day long thinking they are the worlds champion elk caller. Typically each GMU issues maybe 100 bull tags and 100cow tags,whereas archery tags are in the high hundreds and OTC are unlimited.Plus there are rifle bear seasons going on too.

BTW,there are a lot of muzzle loader hunters on this site also. It isn't all archery hunters.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby SilentDeath » 01 10, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Awesome! Just the type of feedback I was hoping to get from the type of guy who's been doing it for years. I in no way meant to throw any shade or disdain towards muzzleloaders. I have just read and been told, :-), by the internet that since the peak is the 20th, you're better chance for calling in a bull is the week leading up to and during the peak. Which always seems to closely fall in the muzzleloader season. I am looking at a unit that restricts the archery tags to around a hundred for the whole month of September, and like you said, there's around 100 muzzleloader cow and a hundred muzzleloader bull tags, which constrict 200 hunters into one week, when the other hundred archery hunters can spread out over the entire month. So at least that is my logic for avoiding that week. True, some OTC units have a thousand bowhunters, but I went the second week last year and only ran into two groups of hunters out in the woods during the entire seven days a hunting. Seen a fair amount of camps, but it wasn't as busy as I expected for a unit that has a thousand bowhunters. Hence my post, wondering if everybody hunts the last week or during the muzzleloader week also? Thanks for the input!
SilentDeath

Postby saddlesore » 01 10, 2020 •  [Post 4]

What unit are you looking at.I might be able to provide some insight on it Unit 1 2 is a good choice if you have few points.

Where I ML hunt in Unit12,there are quite a few archers in there hunting too. The other thing is to hunt earlier than ML season. There are less people calling, but bulls will answer,not necessarily come in. It is all these people calling that gets them call shy. I know Elknut says that doesn't happen, but he doesn't hunt Colorado.

Another fellow on this forum who I have helped has been hunting the1st week and gets into elk everyday. He hasn't stuck one yet .Several shot opportunities that didn't pan out .

Back in the 80's,early 90's my wife and I spent about 8-10 years up in Yellowstone during the rut before wolves got there. We always tried to be there Sept 22-25. That was peak rut
saddlesore

Postby SilentDeath » 01 10, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Thanks again for the input. I'm looking at a few different units, 55, and potentially 551. The number of archery hunters is pretty restricted and they have a good amount of public land. Hunted in 43 / 42 last year for the OTC hunt. But we only have one preference point, and I think unit 12 may take two to be guaranteed.

Last year the thought process of trying the second week of season was similar to what you're thinking that although they may not be rutting, we hoped to get some to respond. Unfortunately we had zero responses during daylight. Had a couple call on their own after dark, and honed in on them the next day and my buddy almost got a shot. But they still wouldn't call. We cow called all the way to them walking in the woods and jumped a bull at 20 yards. Nervous grunted him and got him to stop in the brush, and my buddy next to me 20 yards away almost got a shot as the bull was slowly walking away. So this year I am just hoping that even if it's from a distance, we can find some elk that will respond and or are bugling on their own. Any input is greatly appreciated!
SilentDeath

Postby saddlesore » 01 10, 2020 •  [Post 6]

55 has a lot o vehicle use . I'd look at 54 in to West Elk Wilderness.
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 01 10, 2020 •  [Post 7]

SilentDeath wrote:,
.....the peak is the 20th,
......you're better chance for calling in a bull is the week leading up to and during the peak.
......unit that restricts the archery tags
......my logic for avoiding that week.
,,,,,,only ran into two groups of hunters
..... everybody hunts the last week

Seems like you want to call in bulls while there isnt so many hunting?
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby SilentDeath » 01 10, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Thanks saddlesore for the recommendation and all your info.

Lefty; my goal is to call in a bull. Again :D . Did it two years ago, right after I got the elk nut app. Slow played him. Worked awesome. But that was a draw unit in Wyoming. And I know OTC units are much harder. I hunted for 6 years in a different Colorado OTC unit during the first rifle, and after a couple years learned it pretty well and started having success. so I know I just got to put in the time in the new unit. This is only my second year upcoming hunting with a bow in an OTC unit, so I'm curious on when gets the most pressure, but more so if there's more callable bulls in the last 10 days of the month. Generally I hike at least a mile from the road and get away from almost everybody. Maybe i need to night bugle more than two night's :-)
SilentDeath

Postby Lefty » 01 12, 2020 •  [Post 9]

We don't night bugle, we don't need more excitement in grizzle country.
If a answering bull is the big kick( mine too)
The past 4 years right before the peak rut we have had the most bulls respond back and often a small group of bulls, Different than full rut herd bulls or satellite bulls and cows responding The bulls arent rolling their eyes stupid. And its nice early on when there is a bugle response, it isnt another hunter.
Lefty

Postby saddlesore » 01 12, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Lefty wrote:We don't night bugle, we don't need more excitement in grizzle country.
The past 4 years right before the peak rut we have had the most bulls respond back and often a small group of bulls, Different than full rut herd bulls or satellite bulls and cows responding The bulls arent rolling their eyes stupid. And its nice early on when there is a bugle response, it isnt another hunter.

Is it only responding back,or are they coming in?
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 01 12, 2020 •  [Post 11]

saddlesore wrote:
Lefty wrote:We don't night bugle, we don't need more excitement in grizzle country.

Is it only responding back,or are they coming in?
Both, This was in Idaho

this year lots of action
My daughter tried to step out of the way and got bumped by cows,
She had a stare-down with a spike at 21 yards (no shot too thick)
Three different times bulls came from the wrong direction and winded us
I had a stare down with a bull,.. my daughter though I was sleeping and bumped the bull
Twice we got off our stand and bumped elk we never saw
Cow poking the end of Andrews arrow
The bull moose keeping the bull elk too far away ( 60-90 yards from the shooters)
And the bull I missed
My daughter drew on a bull she called in but the shot was never clear and let down
Lefty