Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scent reduction

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scent reduction

Postby Lefty » 01 05, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Why Why Why

So close you could touch them

Im quite careful and use about any type of product on the market.
Im a firm believer that it can help However I dont believe in "dead down wind" marketing
I have had some really unique interactions and close calls with nearly every animal with the exceptions of coyotes, wolves and blackbear they dont stick around once they get even the slightest odor.
Certainly there are some stories on both sides , But Im telling you the wind in the mountains isnt always fair.
Swirling, Whirling Thermals, pockets, drifts, downdrafts updrafts, pouches, breeze, whirlwind, turbulence even the slightest zephyr (ok I had to look that one up)

Share the story or two where you have been busted by your stink, or not Maybe a close encounter of the hooved kind

70's 80's 90's everything was washed in borax then stashed in plasticbags with sage or fir boughs.

Years back I had one of the neatest experiences with Klicitat bench deer (believed to be mixed genetics a cross in black tail and mule deer) Over the time span of 90 minutes I had 138 deer feed past me, most under 20 yards on either side . I was waiting for one particular buck, passing on some of his big brethren. Some literally bumped my boots. Did the deer have it so stunk up they didnt notice,.. or are they like many animals if your in the middle of the flock, they dont notice?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Scent reduction

Postby 7mmfan » 01 06, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I've been busted MANY times. There was a few years while I was bow hunting that I took scent reduction pretty seriously, with the sprays and washes, etc... but I don't know if any of it ever made a difference.

The best blown by wind encounter happened this last fall actually. While hunting the alpine in WA during our high buck hunt, my partner and I spotted a big black bear feeding on berries. After significant discussion about whether to kill this bear or not, I decided to make a stalk on it. I told him if I could get within 40 yards and guarantee and instant kill, I'd shoot it.

The fog was just lifting, with misty wisps of cloud and fog eddying about, so it was easy to see that where that bear was, the wind was jetting straight uphill. Where we were standing, about 250 yards away it was drifting downhill still. I planned my stalk accordingly. I got to the little spur ridge the bear was on and began creeping down on my butt through the berry bushes, wind in my face. Slowly I gained the reveal I needed to see the bear, now feeding straight downhill of me less than 50 yards away. As I was waiting for a clear shot, the bear tensed, and lifted it's head up smelling the air. I knew before it left that the game was over. He whirled and bolted away into the timber, never looking back. I sat there pondering for a moment trying to figure it all out. I had the wind the whole time, there was no way it smelled me. I shrugged my shoulders and started back towards my partner.

I had only gone a few yards when I looked up and noticed fog drifting downhill where he was. I stopped and watched and sure enough, the fog was drifting to the bottom of the alpine bowl we were in, and then catching thermals and shooting back up the very gut of it, right where the bear and I had been. The bear winded my partner from over 400 yards away, with wind drift, probably more like 450 yards. I learned a lot that day about mountain winds and thermal shifts. It was very interesting.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 01 06, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Colorado archery mule deer this past September... After bedding a big buck below a cool cliff, I proceeded to make a three hour sneak, mostly in the wide open. Managing to avoid the eyes of six deer, I got into the cliffs, some 30 yards careful sneaking from a 10 yard steep shot on this guy when the afternoon thundershower broke the thermals for a split second... I got to watch those deer bust out, when I only needed another 5 minutes of good wind! :cry:

BAE1.jpg
BAE1.jpg (300.15 KiB) Viewed 7211 times

BAE2.jpg
BAE2.jpg (180.07 KiB) Viewed 7211 times

BAE3.jpg
BAE3.jpg (110.88 KiB) Viewed 7211 times
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby wawhitey » 01 06, 2020 •  [Post 4]

7mmfan wrote:I've been busted MANY times. There was a few years while I was bow hunting that I took scent reduction pretty seriously, with the sprays and washes, etc... but I don't know if any of it ever made a difference.

The best blown by wind encounter happened this last fall actually. While hunting the alpine in WA during our high buck hunt, my partner and I spotted a big black bear feeding on berries. After significant discussion about whether to kill this bear or not, I decided to make a stalk on it. I told him if I could get within 40 yards and guarantee and instant kill, I'd shoot it.

The fog was just lifting, with misty wisps of cloud and fog eddying about, so it was easy to see that where that bear was, the wind was jetting straight uphill. Where we were standing, about 250 yards away it was drifting downhill still. I planned my stalk accordingly. I got to the little spur ridge the bear was on and began creeping down on my butt through the berry bushes, wind in my face. Slowly I gained the reveal I needed to see the bear, now feeding straight downhill of me less than 50 yards away. As I was waiting for a clear shot, the bear tensed, and lifted it's head up smelling the air. I knew before it left that the game was over. He whirled and bolted away into the timber, never looking back. I sat there pondering for a moment trying to figure it all out. I had the wind the whole time, there was no way it smelled me. I shrugged my shoulders and started back towards my partner.

I had only gone a few yards when I looked up and noticed fog drifting downhill where he was. I stopped and watched and sure enough, the fog was drifting to the bottom of the alpine bowl we were in, and then catching thermals and shooting back up the very gut of it, right where the bear and I had been. The bear winded my partner from over 400 yards away, with wind drift, probably more like 450 yards. I learned a lot that day about mountain winds and thermal shifts. It was very interesting.

Ah man, thats brutal. The wind and thermals do so much crazy stuff in the mountains it can drive a guy mad trying to keep one step ahead of it. So many times i thought ive had a right, or wrong, wind to hunt a particular spot, only to find that a mile, or a quarter mile, or a couple hundred yards off the wind was doing something totally different. You pretty much just have to go check it out, and be prepared to make a hasty bail-out at the last minute if need be. Thats pretty much how i do things now.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 01 06, 2020 •  [Post 5]

7mmfan wrote:I've been busted MANY times. There was a few years while I was bow hunting that I took scent reduction pretty seriously, with the sprays and washes, etc... but I don't know if any of it ever made a difference.

That's crazy! I try to think of the wind as though it were water in a trout stream. It helps me visualize what thermals will go where.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby js80138 » 01 06, 2020 •  [Post 6]

I have used Dead Down Wind simply because I believed it might help reduce my scent. I have been busted and I have been hidden. I still use the product and will continue using it until I don't. This past archery season I had two encounters both using Dead Down Wind. The first video was taken 1 mile into my morning hunt. I am whispering so make sure your volume is up. The second video was taken 1 hour before end of daylight same day. This was my 15th hour hunting on the day and I did reapply DDW at lunch.

https://youtu.be/FriNwxkbRCg

https://youtu.be/S8CHlYW40CQ
js80138

Postby Swede » 01 06, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I use a scent elimination spray, occasionally I will add the scent of crushed pine needles or juniper, but mostly I try to stay as clean as possible. Considering the way the thermal currents shift in the mountains, it is hard to say I did not get busted this time because I was clean or smelled like a pine tree. It just make sense that minimizing odor help. I use the analogy a one sardine can vs a garbage dump. You won't smell one can very far away, but you can smell a garbage dump for hundreds of yards if you are down wind.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 01 06, 2020 •  [Post 8]

I no longer worry about scent control or camoflauge either, and it hasnt had any negative impact on my hunting whatsoever. Play the wind, watch your movement and background, life is good. My big game kills last season were at 15, 40, 17, and 5 yards. No scent control, no camo.
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 9]

I cannot tell you how many times over the last few years I have had whitetails...WHITETAILS!....directly down wind and didn't smell me. My only explanation is that I don't smell as bad as Swede.

That and I am high in a stand and I don't breathe out of my mouth.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 10]

I keep trying to tell you it is not the mouth that is the source of scent problems. It is the other end of your digestive tract.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:I keep trying to tell you it is not the mouth that is the source of scent problems. It is the other end of your digestive tract.

Not for me. Mine smell like flowers
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 12]

not sure about you Swede, but I don't fart 20 times a minute!!!

And in my opinion, mine smell like flowers in a mountain meadow anyway!
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 13]

Tigger wrote:not sure about you Swede, but I don't fart 20 times a minute!!!

Is that all ya got swede? Thems rookie numbers. You need to work on that.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Tigger wrote:but I don't fart 20 times a minute!!!

It is not about how many times per minute you blow out flatulates. It is about how long the stench lingers.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 15]

Actually, I was using 20 times per minute as a rough estimate for respirations. But if the shoe fits..... :?: :lol:
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 16]

Swede wrote:
Tigger wrote:but I don't fart 20 times a minute!!!

It is not about how many times per minute you blow out flatulates. It is about how long the stench lingers.

Its also about location. Location is all important. Airplanes, long lines, any crowded place really. I think my personal favorite is elevators. Let er rip real loud, and turn your head at somebody next to you and act completely disgusted. It only works if you can keep a straight face. Bonus points if you can keep a straight face while accusing somebody else when its just the 2 of you in the elevator.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 17]

Whitey you have the right idea of coarse, but don't "let er rip". Let it out quietly and then look disgustingly at the person next to you while shaking your head in disgust while trying to move away.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 18]

If in a crowded area, where people might believd your ploy, thats a good technique. But if youre in the scenario, like an elevator, where its just you and one other person, you want to make it as loud as possible. Follow up with a disgusted look and call them out on their uncivilized, atrocious behavior.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 19]

Oh, I see. I was thinking about a situation where there might be some doubt about who was responsible.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 20]

Swede wrote:Oh, I see. I was thinking about a situation where there might be some doubt about who was responsible.

In that scenario, stealth is certainly preferred
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 21]

Hey you guys, thirteen year-old insults aren't getting us far on Swede, to far above him :x
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 22]

Malachi just fun reading about the stalk
Lefty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 23]

I’ve said it before, many times. You can bathe in scent “free” products, put it in your arm pits if you wish, wipe your bung hole with it, even gargle with it. Nothing disguises human stench, nothing. If you don’t work/have the wind each time/every time.....the bull is gone. Hasta la vista baby.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 24]

This thread is starting to stink. Do you think we aught to bury it?
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 25]

Swede wrote:This thread is starting to stink. Do you think we aught to bury it?

:lol:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 08, 2020 •  [Post 26]

Not going to mention anyones name here! However just imagine if you could attach an ignition device to someones rear end while they were producing 20 farts per minute while they were riding their E bike. Would that make it ram jet propelled ? :lol:
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 01 08, 2020 •  [Post 27]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Not going to mention anyones name here! However
the initials are S-W-E-D-E. :D

Anyway I don't know if that would help me go faster, but it would make me illegal as it would be a spark emitting device and a fire hazard.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 01 08, 2020 •  [Post 28]

Guys spend a day with a houndsman and a few bear burns,… smells travel all over, watch your dog how it reacts to smells,

I won’t Never say never, or never say always

I started thinking Ive had plenty of big game come towards me from down-wind . I’ve had a handful of coyotes and more fox with no reaction or an interest. Also the more normal reaction, like most elk too,.. they wind you and they are gone
Ive run into so many instances of bulls that are getting a nose full,.. or should be, Where what-ever odor or smell would have been present . And too many to write about , not all turn inside out to get away
A buddy has it on video: a big boar (Band C ) blackbear stuck its head into his blind inches from his face and stuck around 45 minutes on a bait until he shot it
My brother had a wolf wind, then spot him, and aggressively advanced . The few wolves that have smelled or seen me head the other direction ( well again an exception a couple weeks ago,.. but he was 350 yards from the road)
My first interaction with my first bull elk archery hunting, bull was walking around my box blind, knocking dirt on it, cows and calves rubbing on the shooting window , for well over 20 minutes. (I really regret not poking them) Than for an hour in the dark milling around under 20 yards. The bull sticking his nose through the viewing port and blowing snot on me,.. he walked away earlier and came back blowing snot on me.
My 2nd year archery hunting. First week of September , same box blind near a tank. 8 bulls. I had ports to look out on the downwind side,.( I cut them bigger next hunt).Yep those biggest 6x and 7x bulls slowly walked past at 14 yards down wind. The other 5 bulls just messed around till it was too dark to see.
Doogged a herd all morning,.. The herd change direction the same time as the wind. As the herd very defiantly down wind , one cow standing on her back legs( unlike swede I may have smelled good ) then stared at me, other cows and calves under 20 yards. I believe the bull did wind me, but the cows were in front of him. I messed the shot . Then watched as mr big ( scored 360 killed by another ) beat the daylights out of two other bulls,,, all down wind
This year in a tight canyon Andrew and I for 2 1/2 hours, on the same 100 yard circle,.. dozens cows calves and bulls, yep sometimes it appeared as if they winded one of us,.. but never left the tight canyon
While these were the exception ,,,, not always
Lefty