Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Shoot or No Shot 2020 – Episode #1

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Shoot or No Shot 2020 – Episode #1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 27, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Tag: Bull tag
Season/Hunt: Archery, partner hunt
Time/Date/Location: Third week of September, 5:30 PM, in an elk state
Camp/gear: Base camp. Drove to and walked up a side hill (1/2 mile up), just up off an old 4WD road.

You’re revisiting a spot you hunted a few days ago; you got into them but no shot. This evening, after working pretty steady up the timbered side hill bout’ ½ mile, you hear a bugle above you, off to the right (perhaps 150 yards upslope). You’re hunting buddy and you decide to (pretty quickly) move up to the spot you’re sitting now in an attempt to catch the elk moving to feed and only then, make the decision to sit tight and wait and only do some calling if you feel that is a better option with how things play out.

OK, you’ve initially ranged the tree with the red X at 30 yards. Your buddy (his turn to be the caller today) goes back a bit to his position and you (designated shooter today) move up to where you sit now. And………. here they come, moving on an elk trail from right to left on that little flat ridge. One cow, another cow, (you hear a bugle back to the right, obviously tailing the cows), another cow, cow, then “BULL”! What are you and your partner gonna do to maximize your brief opportunity as it’s laid out?

Woods Elk.jpg
Woods Elk.jpg (119.35 KiB) Viewed 2601 times

What’s your game plan, and shoot or no shot here? Remember, if you are shooting…. save the image to your desktop, then, open it up with MS Paint, mark it up with an X or whatever, save your changes and post up your pic.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Shoot or No Shot 2020 – Episode #1

Postby Swede » 12 27, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I hope the caller knows how to stop the bull with a short bark when it takes two steps forward and clears the brush. That will present a good shot opportunity.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 12 27, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Ok where did you get this info
Tag: Any elk
Season/Hunt: Archery, partner hunt
Time/Date/Location: Third Tuesday of September, 7:35PM, in Idaho state
Camp/gear: Base camp.3.7 miles elevation 8245
1.26 miles from private access, current elevation 7,027

We were sitting between 100 cows and 4 herd bulls Tuesday the 17th. Bulls sounding off,.. cows everywhere. An incredible few hours. Two herds had exited the canyon working about 150 200 yards out into the open dozens and dozens of cows under 40 yards
Two bulls sounding off above , one on each side of the canyon. As sunset approached, cows were filing down the canyon. One bull was maybe 120 yards away on the other side I took a chance,. I moved 25 yards onto a beaver dam expecting the bull to follow the cows out the bottom.
The trail I had been watching ,cow calf , cow calf, cow calf, cow calf. I ranged a cow,45 yards, and a 5 pointer a bit smaller than the one in the pic.
I chirped, the bull stopped perfect in a shooting lane. I felt confident my arrow would clear a twig,..I could already feel my back and legs getting sore for the pack out

The release felt perfect,.. as a twig with 2 leaves dropped to the ground. evidently I needed to aim higher
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 12 27, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Im going to aim slightly higher and back,..
Im not apologizing Im finally am the shooter and Im taking the shot. He will bolt with the cows , slows to a walk at 45 yards , then slower, stands a moment and tips over 80 yards away,..

We hear him tip over ,..Im standing there making goofy faces and pulling my tag and knife out,,,,
Attachments
Woods Elk.jpg
Woods Elk.jpg (100.65 KiB) Viewed 2591 times
Lefty

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 29, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Nervous bark / Twang!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 12 29, 2019 •  [Post 6]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Nervous bark / Twang!

While a nervous bark, or grunt will stop them ,.. maybe better
The times Ive had that opportunity only a cow chirp comes out :o For me a whole lot less effort when under preasure
I need more time to think to bark :lol:
Lefty

Postby lamrith » 01 10, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Mr. Stinky is def getting a splinter. Unless your partner is in sight of you (his job is to hide and not be seen so possibly not?), your partner at this point imho is out of the scenario for this encounter. He cannot see what is going on, so it is all in your lap as are the elk. 25yrds, winner winner, elk for dinner!

I like Lefty's location, might fudge a bit forward from there. Lot will depend on how unsteady i am and if my pin is floating 3" or 12" with every beat of my heart. :-p

Big question is how many trips is it going to take getting him back to camp and do we sear the backstrap in roast form or slice into medallions fry them in skillet with a side of eggs and taters?
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Lefty » 01 12, 2020 •  [Post 8]

lamrith wrote:
Big question is how many trips is it going to take getting him back to camp

I answer that question long before I head into that part of the woods
Lefty