Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

First Time Elk Hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

First Time Elk Hunting

Postby Ashepherd0030 » 12 23, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I am currently in need of some help. Can someone point me in the best and right direction of a reputable elk guide/outfitter in Colorado private or public? I’ve never hunted out west so looking for all the help I can get without breaking the bank. I do have elk hunting experience but that’s in Kentucky where I’m a guide in which I do it for the experience at no cost. Preferably second week of bull fully guided.
Ashepherd0030

Re: First Time Elk Hunting

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 23, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the forum mister, glad to have you on board. I know zilch about the Centennial State but I believe Saddlesore knows and can recommend a good outfitter down thataway. Are you dead set on hunting only Colorado, or, would you consider one of the other elk states? Bear Paw Outfitters is a class act and covers ID, MT, UT, and WA. Indian Summer can recommend good outfits for both WY and MT I believe, and, he offers hunt plans if you're interested in a more DIY type hunt in the Cowboy or Big Sky state. Again, welcome aboard.... RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 12 23, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Any guided hunt is going to be expensive, but Jeanne Horne of J Bar H outfitters operating south of Craig about 20 miles in Unit 12 is one of the best. She is probably booked but give her a call. Usually she accepts parties of fours , but may have a cancellation. I believe that is an OTC unit for 2nd season.
Mention that Vince Mautino recommended you call her and if she is booked ask her if she could recommend another outfitter. If she does,she will only give you good ones.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Ashepherd0030 » 12 23, 2019 •  [Post 4]

No we are not only set on Colorado. We are open to all states. By we I mean myself and for sure 1 other hunter maybe a 2nd hunter for a total of 3. We are looking for something along the lines 4000 or less fully guided with meals and camp/lodge.
Ashepherd0030

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 23, 2019 •  [Post 5]

To get you started, check out Bear Paw Outfitters (he's a sponsor here) and you'll see what you're looking at for pricing for fully guided in a few of the elk states.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 12 23, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Doubt seriously if you will find any full guided reputable ones for $4k or less. Her fully guided is $4800 for 2nd season. Drop camps are running $2800 for 2nd season per her website at present. Both more for 1st season
saddlesore

Postby Ashepherd0030 » 12 23, 2019 •  [Post 7]

That’s what we were afraid of. We’ve yet to find an outfitter that is reputable until 5000. We have found a few at 3800-4500 but after we look into them we find a lot of their clients were not happy. From not getting deep enough from the trails and setting you up on public land very close to other hunters, food very rationed, fully guided but would not help retrieve game, and minimal effort.
Ashepherd0030

Postby Indian Summer » 12 23, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Question: Are you wanting all 1 on 1 hunts... in other words a guide for each hunter, or a 2 on 1 hunt with 1 guide per 2 hunters? I can definitely set you up with a good hunt. I just want to make sure what it is you’re looking for.

I can also line up semi guided hunts. You get packed in and out, get a guide for a day so get familiar with the area, then you hunt on your own. It includes all meals and packing out of elk.

You can mix it up too so book a 1 on 1 guided hunt aa semi guided hunt. Then you and your partner take turns using the guide and going on your own.

In the meantime here’s a link to my website if you’d like to check it out.

www.headinwest.net
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 12 24, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Guided hunts on private land get very expensive. Example,Vemejo ranch in NM was $12,000 years ago.The outfitter I mentioned hunts on public land and you will find most outfitters will too. I doubt you will find even one bad review of her operation.. Most of her clients are repeat hunters. . She was voted outfitter of the year a few years ago and was a member of the Colorado Parks and Wildlife commission. Her drop camps, equipment wise, and locataion are tops.

Once you do one hunt, you will fast come to realize why they get expensive. Keeping good live stock all year to use in hunting season is very expensive, trucks,horse trailers, good camp/pack /riding gear also, hiring and maintaining good guides,cooks, packers isn't cheap either. Most of those people are up 1-2 hours before you cooking your breakfast, packing lunches, saddling your horse. Then repeating it after you hit the sack.Very few of them are making big bucks and most are in it fort the pleasure of the business itself working in the outdoors
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 24, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Contact Don Myers (970- 824- 9317) Great hunt, full service, and all private land. lodging and meals provided. Great deer and elk hunt.
>>>---WW---->

Postby saddlesore » 12 24, 2019 •  [Post 11]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Contact Don Myers (970- 824- 9317) Great hunt, full service, and all private land. lodging and meals provided. Great deer and elk hunt.

Is he the one out of Hamilton?
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 25, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Just a few miles east. He has cut back his operation some since I guided for him. When I was there he was running close to a 98% success rate. His brother runs an outfit south of Hayden also.
>>>---WW---->

Postby saddlesore » 12 25, 2019 •  [Post 13]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Just a few miles east. He has cut back his operation some since I guided for him. When I was there he was running close to a 98% success rate. His brother runs an outfit south of Hayden also.

Down towards Indian Run SWA, Pagosa?
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 27, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Used to have the Wyman spread north of Indian Run. And several other places as well.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Bones72 » 01 22, 2020 •  [Post 15]

saddlesore wrote:Any guided hunt is going to be expensive, but Jeanne Horne of J Bar H outfitters operating south of Craig about 20 miles in Unit 12 is one of the best. She is probably booked but give her a call. Usually she accepts parties of fours , but may have a cancellation. I believe that is an OTC unit for 2nd season.
Mention that Vince Mautino recommended you call her and if she is booked ask her if she could recommend another outfitter. If she does,she will only give you good ones.

Her website said closed. I too am interested in either a drop-camp or guided hunt
Bones72

Postby saddlesore » 01 22, 2020 •  [Post 16]

Bones72 wrote:
saddlesore wrote:Any guided hunt is going to be expensive, but Jeanne Horne of J Bar H outfitters operating south of Craig about 20 miles in Unit 12 is one of the best. She is probably booked but give her a call. Usually she accepts parties of fours , but may have a cancellation. I believe that is an OTC unit for 2nd season.

Her website said closed. I too am interested in either a drop-camp or guided hunt

She goes to Texas for the winter to be with her mother.Search on FB for Jeanne Horne

jeannehornecpw@gmail.com is her email address
saddlesore

Postby Bones72 » 01 23, 2020 •  [Post 17]

Thanks saddlesore!
Bones72