Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Can I ask you a Question?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Can I ask you a Question?

Postby Indian Summer » 12 19, 2019 •  [Post 1]

If you shot a bull and had a chance to ask him one question, other than “How do you like me now?” What would it be?

More than one answer is allowed. I can probably think of 20’ questions right off the bat. But one of them might be “Do you know how many days I had left to hunt?” I have had so many things happen to me with terrible timing that it cannot be a coincidence. One year I should have been breaking camp down to leave but I decided to hunt a half day as a hail Mary effort. I hunted, saw three big bulls but couldn’t catch up to them and I ran out of time. So I strapped my rifle to the back of my day pack and began the depressing hike off of the mountain. All of the sudden I looked downhill and there’s a nice 6 point bull standing broadside out in the open. He yelled up to me “Yesterday was your last day to hunt so you won’t even be getting a shot at me” and he walked into the timber never to be seen again. I’ve gone out the day before hunting season starts and saw three six point bulls under 100 yards only to go back to that spot for the first two days of hunting and never see a single elk. What’s with the pre season harassment! How did they know? I’ve seen lots of bulls when I was unarmed for some odd reason. Yeah I have a few questions for them alright!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Can I ask you a Question?

Postby Tigger » 12 19, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I would ask them about calling. With apologies to Elknut, I would ask him exactly what sounds mean in elk talk. I would ask him what are an elk's favorite thing to eat. I would ask him where his and other big bulls sanctuary is. I would ask him what trails he likes. I would ask him where the biggest bulls hang out. I would ask him what trails/sounds/places he doesn't like. Yeah, it would be fun to have a conversation with an elk!
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 19, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Good thread ;).

Q: Why in the heck did you insist on "going down there" after my arrow smacked home? You could have just as easily went "over or up there" and made it easier on all concerned.

Q: Why did you peel off the edge of the herd and force me to shoot you? I was after the herd bull, not you, but you forced my hand; now I have to pack your scraggly butt out of this hole.

Q: Why didn't you stay where you were bugling last night, instead of moving and luring two steep draws over, and down, as daylight broke?

Q: Where is that big bull that was screaming below camp last night? Asking for a friend.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 12 19, 2019 •  [Post 4]

In the three short years of your life, what did you learn from hunters and about hunters?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Fridaythe13th » 12 19, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Where's your dad?
Can you run to camp before you die? (Sorry before I harvest you) lol.
Can you smell the rum I had last night? Lol
Do you know how good you taste?
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Indian Summer » 12 19, 2019 •  [Post 6]

“Where is the best place to sit on this mountain without moving to kill the biggest bull up here?”
Indian Summer

Postby Elkduds » 12 19, 2019 •  [Post 7]

What can we hunters do to make this area better for your herd?
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Indian Summer » 12 20, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Elkduds wrote:What can we hunters do to make this area better for your herd?

Perfect I love that!
Indian Summer

Postby Lefty » 12 20, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Would you put this tracking collar on your big brother?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H