Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

the best way to make wife support my elk habit is:

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby pointysticks » 12 04, 2012 •  [Post 1]

show her how delicious elk is!! i think i have her on board for the next elk. she will definately be rooting for our success.

last night, i made a pan seared loin that i finished in the oven..quick pan sauce. she LOVED it! she said the magic words. "This is better than beef! when does elk season start up again?'

holy smokes.!! she didnt think it was funny when i replied.."i've heard moose meat is even better!"

baby steps gentlemen..baby steps.

next season feels like a lifetime away :(
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: the best way to make wife support my elk habit is:

Postby Swede » 12 04, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I like to remind the family that their elk meat is all 100% organically grown. No steroids, no antibiotics, just natural feed going through them. If that is not enough, then I remind them that the excess fat can be trimmed off and is not like the marbled fat of cattle. An elk that has been properly taken care of in the field and transported cool, tastes soooo amazingly good.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Harmy » 12 04, 2012 •  [Post 3]

1) Making sure only the very best and most tender piece hits her plate. And that it is cooked just the way she likes it.
2) Making sure I cook most all the meals so I can plan how and when to serve elk.
3) Making sure that when I cook elk I always clean up so it seems like eating elk has no work assocaited with it.
4) Making sure she knows I am not having fun while elk hunting, that I am suffering, cold, wet, and tired the whole time.
5) Making sure that on those rare occasions when she joins me that she is having fun, is not cold, is not wet, and is not tired.
6) Making sure she does not see the moment of kill. She is fine with guts and blood though.
7) Laughing when she says that her idea of calling is "run away, run away!"
8) Christmas comes twice a year. December and either August or September, depending on when my hunt is.
9) Never saying that hunting is a vacation but that I need to take time off from work.
10) On the rare occasion I cook a beef steak and she asks what kind of meat I would say "I am pretty sure its elk".
11) Making sure she is out of town when I process the meat.

Seriously though, she supports me 100% and wants to learn to call so she can join me on my hunts. That's when #7 came to be...
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 04, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I've been married to the same woman for 40 years. Took a long time but she finally just gave up and accepted my elk habit.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 12 04, 2012 •  [Post 5]

For some reason my wife thinks we save money with me killing most of the meat we eat
I will say she does expect meat in the freezer one way or another
My wife hunted a lot with her dad, So she is use to hunting and all that goes along with that.
Some of our best dates and family activites with our three daughters have been hunts,.. not hardcore hunts but doe hunts, moose hunt, doe antelop, goose( I had a few nice pits in the past)

My daughters moose cost us $257 in gas, 2 nights motel, 3 resturaunt meals, shells, a bipod and $200 tp package
And moose does taste better than elk :D

Grandpa helping her renotch and attach her tag
2012-11-03 08-56-35 (Small).JPG
2012-11-03 08-56-35 (Small).JPG (77.21 KiB) Viewed 6879 times
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby pointysticks » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Harmy..your Husband Kung-fu is strong!!

hahahha..

Lefty. my wife once figured how much a wild hog i took cost per pound. with the cost of the new bow, gas, etc..it was something like $50 per pound (cant remember exactly how the wife-math worked out)..it was a funny conversation tho. i flew to texas for that pig..

my wife has nursing school finals coming up..i gonna hit the local pig population. to give her quiet time.
pointysticks

Postby T/H » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 7]

if all else fails i would sit her down and explain to her the importance of her taking a second job so you can afford the finer things associated with elk hunting :)
T/H

Postby pointysticks » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 8]

T/H wrote:if all else fails i would sit her down and explain to her the importance of her taking a second job so you can afford the finer things associated with elk hunting :)

you owe a keyboard!! mine got mysteriously coated with coffee..

buwahahhah!!
pointysticks

Postby foxvalley » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Diamonds,and a new sports car, and she will support any habit you got.(so I hear anyway)My wife lets me go cuz she likes the meat.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Lefty » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I use to joke that hunting was cheaper than bars, booze and babes,..

But she felt safe knowing my real intrest is hunting

Taking her along whan she can enjoy the outing, and going with her dad is unlimited \
(not only do I have a good wife but good in-laws too!!)
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elkoholic » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Buying coach purses....

No she also.supports me a 100% knowing that this what I love to do. I or we all could have a lot worse habbits than hunting. She would rather me be in the mountains with my buddies then out at the bars
elkoholic

First Name: Chewy
Last Name: Swatzell

Postby 32hunter » 12 06, 2012 •  [Post 12]

my wife hates me hunting. she dont like game meat. she hates me spending money on gear. I think i need a new wife lol
32hunter

First Name: Kurt
Last Name: Griego

Postby horseshoe » 12 06, 2012 •  [Post 13]

be enough of a pain in the ass at home and she will beg your buddies to take you out hunting! :D
horseshoe

Postby slim9300 » 12 06, 2012 •  [Post 14]

T/H wrote:if all else fails i would sit her down and explain to her the importance of her taking a second job so you can afford the finer things associated with elk hunting :)

Classic!
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300

Postby slim9300 » 12 06, 2012 •  [Post 15]

pointysticks wrote:show her how delicious elk is!! i think i have her on board for the next elk. she will definately be rooting for our success.

last night, i made a pan seared loin that i finished in the oven..quick pan sauce. she LOVED it! she said the magic words. "This is better than beef! when does elk season start up again?'

holy smokes.!! she didnt think it was funny when i replied.."i've heard moose meat is even better!"

baby steps gentlemen..baby steps.

next season feels like a lifetime away :(

Yep. My wife has said those words for many years. Thankfully I converted her when we were just kids.
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300

Postby T/H » 12 06, 2012 •  [Post 16]

32hunter wrote:my wife hates me hunting. she dont like game meat. she hates me spending money on gear. I think i need a new wife lol

have you taken her to the lake? maybe she likes fish!
T/H

Postby Heartwood » 12 06, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I can't exactly make my wife accept my elkoholism but in the 11 months in which I'm not actually hunting the beasts I try to be the best husband that I can.
In the months leading up to the big hunt I try to plan and prepare for all possible things that could go wrong at home. Stock firewood, maintain car,change water filters etc. I also have to be careful to act interested in all those things in daily life that don't have to do with elk hunting and hide that glazed over dreamy look that comes with thinking about elk hunting.
In reality my wife is supportive or at least accepting if my affliction since she works two jobs and cooks wonderful elk meals to boot. I was an avid hunter when we met so after all these years I guess she has accepted my condition with extraordinary grace.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 12 06, 2012 •  [Post 18]

When I met my wife, I was right up front about my obsession with bowhunting for elk. If we were going to be a couple, she was going to have to accept that. She did, and supports me 100%. We have been together for 13 years, and 2 of those years I got to picky and did not bring elk meat home. She called me a lousy hunter and from now on do not come home unless the freezer is full. No matter how much I explain to her how hard it is to fill a elk tag with a bow on public land, she says she doe's not want to hear any excuses. We know she is just giving me a hard time, but she absolutely loves elk burger. Fortunately, out of the 13 years we've been together, I have filled the tag 11 times. I'm 61 now, and it is getting harder to go after elk in the steep stuff so every year it's is a bigger challenge. This past season I took my 26 elk with a bow, and my goal is 30 before the body tells me no more. 3 knee and 2 shoulder surgeries with arthritis setting in doesn't help. If I do not bring a elk home in the next few years I might have to move in with Brad ( cnelk ). :lol:
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby redtop » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 19]

My wife doesn't hunt but she likes to help pack out elk. What could be better? She won't eat beef, only elk or deer.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby T/H » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 20]

pointysticks wrote:

you owe a keyboard!! mine got mysteriously coated with coffee..

buwahahhah!!

lol i have to admit that was one of my better ones :) glad you got a kick out of it
T/H

Postby bowhunterty » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 21]

Have her tag along. Show her how the meat is processed. And give her the camera alet her film your hunt. Worked for me.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby bearman da man » 12 12, 2012 •  [Post 22]

1. Be sure to have sex before you leave and when you get back home (twice a year is more than when you didn't hunt);
2. Give her your platinum Credit Card and after you give it to her, close the account on your way to the hunting grounds and then blame the closed acct. on the credit card company;
3. Tell her you'll call her every night while away on the cell phone and when you get home, tell her you didn't have any cell service;
4. Buy her a dozen roses and then keep them for Vaentines Day....

Hey wait a minute, I don't have a wife, I wonder why?

Just kidding guys!!!! Merry Christmas!
bearman da man

Postby Bartfrncs » 12 14, 2012 •  [Post 23]

If you cant get your wife to be OK with you hunting you need a new wife! :D
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby pointysticks » 12 14, 2012 •  [Post 24]

Bartfrncs wrote:If you cant get your wife to be OK with you hunting you need a new wife! :D

yea..because it really is all about me. :D

no..i like alittle opposition in life. call it spice. i am planning my couse trip as we speak. hope they taste great too!
pointysticks

Postby Bartfrncs » 12 15, 2012 •  [Post 25]

I was jokeing. If you think Elk hunting is expensive try divorce that will really cost you.
Bart :D
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs