Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Why do you insist on hunting in this day and age?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Why do you insist on hunting in this day and age?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 28, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I was raised in a hunting family. A large percentage of the meat we had throughout the winter/summer during my childhood and young adult life in Montana was a result of my father and his three son's fall hunting harvests. That was then, this is now. How do you/we, as hunters, answer the questions to "non hunters" of why we hunt? We are under a constant barrage from non-hunters, who don't understand our love and passion for the hunt, whom have no clue of why we like this thing called hunting and continue to engage in it. I mean after all, for the money we spend on hunting we could easily buy a 1/2 a beef, right? I'd like to hear how you cats respond to folks who ask you "why do you hunt". RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Why do you insist on hunting in this day and age?

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 29, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I never have that question asked? Hmm!!! No one around these parts talks like that! But I hunt for the same reasons people Golf, Ski, go to movies, etc. Because I want to!!! I enjoy it & I receive untold amounts of pleasure being in the woods especially with family & friends, It's just a way of life!!!!

Truly speaking if I had to list the top 10 reasons why, the meat would be near 10, that's the farthest down the list, number 1 would be "it's who I am"! I do not need to explain myself to anyone as to why I hunt or apologize for it, I'm extremely proud to hunt & appreciate the right to do so! Sharing a camp & camaraderie rate at the top as well, of course success in the field is icing on the cake! Too, I enjoy the many highs & lows of a hunt, things can turn in an instant & the adrenaline rush that can happen in a moments notice is second to none, it's truly hard to explain if ones have never experienced it! I also enjoy all the preparation that is involved throughout the course of the year, it just makes it that much sweeter as the days of hitting the field get closer. Knowing ones tools & skills have been honed in preparation of the hunt can be as satisfying in itself! Yes, there's many reasons why I hunt & will continue to hunt as long as my physical well being holds up, not getting any younger! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby pointysticks » 11 29, 2012 •  [Post 3]

i WISH 100% of my meat could come from my hunting. no way, no how..not where i live.

i could lead off by saying i am getting back to my roots and trying to get closer to my food source. or talk about the challenges..

in the end it really is about just having fun. the huge bonus are the delicious meals and the challenges.

sad now, my main challenges seem to be financial, time, location (proximity), and access to land. not so much about skill and physical ability.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Harmy » 11 29, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Why do I hunt? For me it is mostly about harvesting and eating but it is also about being in the mountains and desolate wildlands of the west with family, friends or alone. I grew up hunting and shooting and this was my sole focus and passion until I was about 20 years old. The annual deer hunt was looked forward to by everyone in the family. All the kids and parents went on this annual camp trip. Elk were sparse in the 70’s and 80’s so we never had the chance to hunt them. As I approached adulthood I became disenchanted with hunting mainly due to loss of desire to simply kill things (like jack rabbits or coyotes) and I did not have any physically capable family or friends who were hunters and capable of walking more than a mile or two. I also found that hunting from the truck was not an activity that I enjoyed much as I really wanted to get out into the woods and backcountry but had nobody to do that with. As I entered college I became a climber and climbing absorbed my life in a profound manner for over 20 years. I ended up ceasing all other activities in the pursuit of climbing. Through climbing I have been able to experience amazing winter and summer environments from the mountains of Alaska and Canada and throughout the United States and into Europe. My time spent in the mountains, the friendships, the difficulties, the adventure, the adrenaline, and the single-minded focus required to stay alive captivated me and still does even though I rarely climb any more. During the 90’s I was married to a vegetarian and became one myself. That lasted about 6 years. During that time the only meat I ate was the occasional fall deer and elk my step-father harvested. Every chance I had I would gather bundles from their freezer. About 15 years ago I tried some of his elk sausage and I was instantly hooked. From that point forward I changed my diet back and started to think about hunting again but was not quite ready (I truly attribute elk sausage as the main reason I came back to hunting). Starting about 11 years ago I started hunting again and have now become as focused on it as I was on climbing. I find that my reasons for hunting are nearly the same as they were for climbing: time spent in the mountains, the friendships, the difficulties, the adventure, the adrenaline, and the single-minded focus required. The additional reason is that I have two sons that were born in 2001 and 2002. They love the outdoors, shooting guns and bows, and now they want to become hunters. I want to experience that with them and teach them that they can extend their environment well beyond the road or campground. I rarely climb anymore but my passion to be outside, be with active friends and family, and harvesting food is still pervasive in my life. I also love to cook and experiment and therefore have a large freezer that requires me to fill it up…
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Swede » 11 29, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Living near Portland, I understand Phantom16's question. I have not had people ask about my hunting who were trying to condemn me. Hunting is something they are totally unfamiliar with, or something only some relative did long ago. I like Harmy's answer, but I identify closely with what Paul wrote. I love being out in the wild. I love the chase and the challenge. Why does a Beagle chase rabbits? It is bred into them. I may be a lot like that. In other words: I can't explain it either.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ORelksniper » 11 29, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Why do I hunt? Great question. My first hunting trip was in the sage country of eastern Oregon...I was 8 months old.
Except for the few years of Army service, I haven't missed a deer or elk season. I hunt because I have to...it' who I am.
ORelksniper

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 11 29, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Some of my first memories are hunting and fishing with my dad. I continue to hunt because of the challenge, opportunity to learn, adrenaline rush, and love of the outdoors. The company of great buddies also makes for valuable memories.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Heartwood » 12 01, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I grew up in a hunting family so I don't often think about why ,it's just second nature I guess.
The main reason I hunt now is for the adventure experience and the challenge. We always enjoy the fine meat that comes from wild game and I personally dig everything about "horns". As I get older I just enjoy the whole experience of being in the mountains and hunting camp with some really great friends.
I don't often talk about it but hunting, for me is a spiritual experience and I'm certain it is what I'm designed to do.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby horseshoe » 12 08, 2012 •  [Post 9]

non hunters can't understand why we hunt. but even some hunters think i didn't have a good time if i didn't get anything! i hunted 2 wks in colorado and 2 wks in ohio this year and didn't score. but, i will tell you now, it was one of the best years i have ever had!

called in bulls and cows, passed on some decent bucks and then finally saw the giant whitetail i was seeking (too dark!). brought a good friend elk hunting that thought he would never go (62 yrs old) and he saw a giant!

most folks don't bring anything back except memories when they go on vacation. i have some pretty good memories!
horseshoe

Postby cnelk » 12 08, 2012 •  [Post 10]

if i didnt hunt, what medicine would i take to cure my swollen neck?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K