Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

First Step into the Elk Woods

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Where and when will your first "step into the elk woods" be this fall? For me, I'll be packing into a WA wilderness area for three or so days starting on 7 SEP... will hit the trail mid morning after a two hour drive. On 15 SEP, I take my first step on a high Idaho ridge trail that'll start my two week elk adventure... Will start my hike on the Idaho hunt after a 9 hour drive from WA. Should have camp set up after a scenic two hour jaunt and be glassing/bugling a couple of draws by nightfall :)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: First Step into the Elk Woods

Postby LckyTylr » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 2]

This weekend, I'll be scouting every other weekend from now until opener.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Wyo67 » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Lucky enough to live a couple hours from our hunting grounds. Serious scouting starts June 30/July 1.
Wyo67

Postby wideangle » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Waiting to see if I draw the Sled Springs Unit in Oregon for archery. If I am unsuccessful I will scout other areas after July 15.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 5]

It will be on the Idaho opener for sure, the spot hunted is still undetermined, a bit of scouting this Summer will dictate the area! Thinking of higher than normal with lots of glassing!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby dotman » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 6]

July 4th will be my first steps in the elk woods to do some scouting, Aug 28th will be my first step armed :)
dotman

Postby Freebird134 » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Mine will probably be the morning of Sept 14 in Idaho GMU 23. I should be getting my buddy at the airport on 13th, and we'll sleep in the truck that night. Early on the 14th, packs should be on and we should be headed in for our 8 nights of bivy-style hunting. CAN'T WAIT!!!!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Goneelkn » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 8]

A couple days before the CO archery opening
Goneelkn

Postby N5J » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Checking out a new area next week. Snow is slow coming of the higher elevations do to cooler weather. I've would have been out there already but we got snow in the mountains last weekend! Courious where the snow line is, my guess it's around the 8000-8500 mark.

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby iRem » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 10]

My first step will be a next month after back surgery!! I hope to be out in the woods checking out and placing some game cams in a new location over in Eastern Washington!
iRem

Postby elkchaser503 » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 11]

My first steps will be in the Heppner Unit of Oregon. I already have my waterhole staked out... Hoping for hot weather opening weekend.
elkchaser503

Postby easeup » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I cant wait mr. phantom. I am driving up to CO in two weeks to look around and wet a hook. My first step in Gods high country and home of the grand stag of the Rockies is July 1st!!!!!!!! :D
easeup

Postby bnsafe » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 13]

leavin missouri sep 6th, puttin the camp out the 7th and hopefully short scouting trip, then startin in on my first elk hunt the 8th.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Yates » 06 17, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Next week. Just south of the Grand Canyon.
Yates

Postby PHELPS GAME CALLS » 06 17, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Sept 7th out my backdoor, or maybe a short drive
PHELPS GAME CALLS
Site Sponsor

Postby Elktracker » 06 17, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Been spending lots of time in the elk woods at work and scouting with my hunting partner (ruttin roosey) found some nice areas near home and got some bulls pinned down now we just have to keep tabs on them and keep up the hiking so we are ready come end of aug.

Josh
Elktracker

Postby bowhunterty » 06 17, 2012 •  [Post 17]

In my special permit hunt area on Sept. 8th. Can't wait to scout to find the area I will start my hunt.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby realunlucky » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Heading up this weekend to move cameras and put eyes on all those spots I keep zooming into with google earth. This is going to be a great year for me
realunlucky

Postby LckyTylr » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Went scouting with Father in Law in Idaho's unit 65. It wasn't a unit that I really care to hunt, but he was pretty excited about it. I had a blast, got some photos of my street bike on dirt trails. I thought we were going to be on dirt roads, next time we do this I'll be sure to get a dirt sticker.

LckyTylr

Postby LckyTylr » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Oh yeah, didn't see any elk and not a single mule deer (odd). Did see a cow moose, I got video of her, I'll try to get that posted.
LckyTylr

Postby Freebird134 » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 21]

LckyTylr wrote:Went scouting with Father in Law in Idaho's unit 65. It wasn't a unit that I really care to hunt, but he was pretty excited about it. I had a blast, got some photos of my street bike on dirt trails. I thought we were going to be on dirt roads, next time we do this I'll be sure to get a dirt sticker.

Nothing like the peaceful sound of a bike to complement the peacefulness of elk country....
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Swede » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 22]

I don't know where I will spend all of my time, but I sure expect to be back to my old haunts for the opener of the archery season. Can't wait.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkohalic » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 23]

Going to a brand new area this year. I hope to get out there the last week in july and do some scouting around and get some cameras out. It will be hard having my cameras out 1000 miles away, hope I remember to turn them on. LMOA !! already looking forward to viewing the pics the last week in August and there not even out yet.
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby LckyTylr » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 24]

Freebird134 wrote:
LckyTylr wrote:Went scouting with Father in Law in Idaho's unit 65. It wasn't a unit that I really care to hunt, but he was pretty excited about it. I had a blast, got some photos of my street bike on dirt trails. I thought we were going to be on dirt roads, next time we do this I'll be sure to get a dirt sticker.

Nothing like the peaceful sound of a bike to complement the peacefulness of elk country....

Please pardon me for taking my Father in Law scouting. He's a disabled vet with back and hip problems, walking great distances often associated with finding elk in new hunting areas is quite difficult for him. Once we find animals, we get as close as we can with the truck and then hunt off foot.

I don't typically scout from a motorcycle and I don't hunt off of my motorcycle for my own benefit, as I'm able bodied and willing to hoof it. Since he still has the passion to enjoy the freedoms that he has earned for all of us, I feel obligated and privileged to accompany him on his scouting trips to ensure that he has an enjoyable time and gets home safely. Some folks are not as fortunate as I am, to have served my 4 years without injury. Some individuals like my Father in Law made great sacrifices to serve a 20+ year career to ensure that there are elk woods to enjoy, I guess maybe my Father in Law should quit hunting because he's hurting others ears.

Sorry all, I'll step off my soap box now. Back to the topic, a friend of mine located 3 decent (for Idaho) bulls this last weekend in a unit that he and I have considered scouting/hunting. He and I will be headed back up there this coming weekend. I'm excited!!! :-)
LckyTylr

Postby elkohalic » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 25]

Did you take him scouting on you motorcycle ?? not trying to be a smart a$$. Just wondering?
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby LckyTylr » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 26]

No, he was on his ancient (should be in a museum) 3-wheeler. I can't believe how sneaky he is on that thing. It's such a quiet machine. We can have a full conversation without raising our voices with both of our machines running.
LckyTylr

Postby jareed58 » 06 23, 2012 •  [Post 27]

Mid Sept, South San Jaun Moutains, Colorado. For 10 days or maybe less if lucky. Too far away for boots on the ground scouting.
jareed58

Postby T/H » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 28]

i haven't decided which dates yet but my first step will be in the Gila somewhere and that will be a great day. to step foot in the Gila for the first time. equally great will be my first step in unit 80-81 CO after i kill a bull in the Gila :)
T/H

Postby Moose-head » 06 25, 2012 •  [Post 29]

I can't afford a non-resident tag and I will not have residency established in time to hunt this year. I will first step into the woods to hunt in 2013. I will drive around during the season this fall to see where hunters seem to concentrate this year so that I can scout other areas and try to avoid the crowds.
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby idahoghost » 06 27, 2012 •  [Post 30]

Went last Monday. Found a nice bull and lots of sign. To bad it was so close to the road.....

Nice KTM, how did those tires work out (supermoto)??
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill