Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Researching for 2013

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Researching for 2013

Postby Magic » 11 27, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I realize that 2013 is not here yet, but the planning is.

My Son Marty, who is my hunting partner has 10 Colorado PP's. That puts him in "no man's land" as far as drawing an area such as 61, and it eliminates any possibility for me to accompany him on such a hunt anyway since I will be 70 years old next Fall.

That leaves us with the decision to burn those points in 2013 on a hunt in a "lesser" area. It also gives me the opportunity to accompany him while I am still physically able.
We are looking at a possible ML hunt or either a 1st Rifle hunt in an area that will virtually guarantee him a draw in 2013.

Presently, we are researching either a ML or 1st Rifle hunt in Area 49 or a ML hunt in Area 67. Any input or suggestions??
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Re: Researching for 2013

Postby Swede » 11 27, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I do not have any suggestions on Colorado, but have you considered a good guided hunt together?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby easeup » 11 28, 2012 •  [Post 3]

that is the boat I am in mr. magic.
As a NR hunter, my 10 wont get me anything significant in CO. Most other CO units I could draw with 3 or less.
Other friends I have to hunt with are not serious enough to gather points.

so like swede suggested, good hunts can be had on private land for a few coins of silver. :)

I would also be interested in what you decide, just for information ya know...
easeup

Postby Magic » 11 28, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:I do not have any suggestions on Colorado, but have you considered a good guided hunt together?

There is nothing wrong with that suggestion except the $$$ are not there. Spending a couple of thousand for travel and license is as far as we can go, and for us, every hunt/trip is good, kill or no kill.

We are also already making plans for our future trips. I will collect a PP in 2013 and hunt in 2014. He will collect a PP 2014 and hunt in 2015. We have decided after hunting together this year that one tag is enough and we will always hunt together which is something that we had never done. We have always hunted in the same general area, but seldom actually together. We will look forward to a "one PP" ML or 1st rifle each year for one of us.

I have some good possibilities nailed down for area 4, 5, & 12, but we really would like to try 49 or 67 for next year. Surely someone on here has hunted those areas.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby ctdad » 11 28, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I have never hunted 67. I have been considering it for an archery hunt next year. I have been playing phone tag with a guy who grew up in the area and still hunts there some. He is a friend of a friend. I'm hoping he can let me know how it is as a unit.

I did speak to a guy who is an agent for selling land owner tags in Colorado. He had really good things to say about this unit, but I always take that with a grain of salt since he is selling something.

I'll let you know if I learn anything from a neutral source.

I hunted unit 68 a few years ago and we got into elk. Quite a bit of pressure though.
ctdad

Postby buglmin » 11 28, 2012 •  [Post 6]

How does your son feel? It seems he has been building his points for a reason. I know every father wants to hunt with his son, but now it seems its time to let your son have a quality hunt in an area where he might kill a super bull. I know you cant hunt with him if he draws a unit like 61, but to waste 10 points on a lesser unit...I think your son would be didappointed. Hunting together shouldnt be an option, as long as you are there to share the rewards of his efforts. The quality of a bull he could kill cant be found in an OTC unit. Let him draw is permit, help him plan his hunt, and be there when he pulls the trigger...
I think it would be easier for him to draw a ML permit then a first season elk permit, but does he want to hunt black powder? With the rut going the way it has for the past four years, the bulls are tearing it up the first rifle season. More so then during the ML season...
buglmin

Postby ctdad » 11 28, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I talked to a guy today who is from that area and has hunted it in the past. He wasn't negative about the unit, but said that he thinks this unit tends to get better as the weather gets worse and pushes the migration that direction. He has no plans to hunt it this year or any time soon, so I don't think he had an agenda. Nothing else he offered was very revealing. He is a rifle hunter and said he prefers to hunt 3rd and 4th rifle in this area as it gets colder. Probably talked me out of using my points on an early season archery hunt.
ctdad