Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Who Has WY Elk Points?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Who Has WY Elk Points?

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 27, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Just curious as to who has them & how many do you have? Who's hunted WY in the past & would you consider the state & unit a good hunt?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Who Has WY Elk Points?

Postby slim9300 » 11 27, 2012 •  [Post 2]

My dad, my hunting partner and I all have 2 points for elk and deer and will continue to accumulate them. We plan on meeting up with David (Trophyhill) in a couple of years when we can hunt one of the top units for elk. Should be a lot of fun but I have no idea what to expect. :)
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Who Has WY Elk Points?

Postby flystrait » 11 27, 2012 •  [Post 3]

We have 4 points, have not hunted WY as of yet but probably ill the next couple of years..
flystrait

Postby POk3s » 11 27, 2012 •  [Post 4]

There's no elk here boys.....I'd find other places to hunt if I was you ;)
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 28, 2012 •  [Post 5]

You WY guys are all alike!! (big grin) Hope to meet up with you this year Trent, I think we may apply this year (2013) with 7 points! Who else??

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby POk3s » 11 28, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Good luck. I don't know how many points it takes to draw those areas we previously talked about on the phone but if you do draw I can point you in the right direction....hopefully I'll be hunting them as well :)
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby stringunner » 11 28, 2012 •  [Post 7]

my dad has 7 points I have 6. I use to live there and drew a highly coveted tag (area 7) two years in a row as a resident. Took my best bull to date on one of those hunts. My dad has hunted it with me those two years with a left over cow tag and filled both as well. Though its not the same unit today like it was 6-7 years ago. We look at a couple different units now. We put in every year and can't seem to draw now as non-residents. Being one point behind my dad keeps screwing us up. Will probably have to break down and stop putting in as a party. Lots of good units in that state.
stringunner

Who Has WY Elk Points?

Postby slim9300 » 11 29, 2012 •  [Post 8]

stringunner wrote:my dad has 7 points I have 6. I use to live there and drew a highly coveted tag (area 7) two years in a row as a resident. Took my best bull to date on one of those hunts. My dad has hunted it with me those two years with a left over cow tag and filled both as well. Though its not the same unit today like it was 6-7 years ago. We look at a couple different units now. We put in every year and can't seem to draw now as non-residents. Being one point behind my dad keeps screwing us up. Will probably have to break down and stop putting in as a party. Lots of good units in that state.

I think your points are rounded up aren't they? That means 6+7 / 2 = 6.5 rounded up to 7.
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
slim9300

Postby POk3s » 11 29, 2012 •  [Post 9]

slim9300 wrote:
stringunner wrote:my dad has 7 points I have 6. I use to live there and drew a highly coveted tag (area 7) two years in a row as a resident. Took my best bull to date on one of those hunts. My dad has hunted it with me those two years with a left over cow tag and filled both as well. Though its not the same unit today like it was 6-7 years ago. We look at a couple different units now. We put in every year and can't seem to draw now as non-residents. Being one point behind my dad keeps screwing us up. Will probably have to break down and stop putting in as a party. Lots of good units in that state.

I think your points are rounded up aren't they? That means 6+7 / 2 = 6.5 rounded up to 7.

That's how I've always understood it
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby stringunner » 11 29, 2012 •  [Post 10]

You guys are correct. I checked tonight I have 5 my dad has 7 which means when we put in as a party we go in with 6 or essentially one point behind max.
stringunner

Who Has WY Elk Points?

Postby slim9300 » 11 29, 2012 •  [Post 11]

stringunner wrote:You guys are correct. I checked tonight I have 5 my dad has 7 which means when we put in as a party we go in with 6 or essentially one point behind max.

That makes more sense.
slim9300

Postby Les Welch » 11 30, 2012 •  [Post 12]

POk3s wrote:
slim9300 wrote:

That's how I've always understood it

WRONG! They do NOT round. if you have 6 and the old man 7 that is 13/2=6.5 each......it is NOT rounded to 7 or 6..you each have 6.5 (actually only 6 with you 5 and him 7) and any group that would have 6.501 would get the tag.
Les Welch

Postby Les Welch » 11 30, 2012 •  [Post 13]

My dad and I both sit on 6 elk points, 6 deer points, and 5 antelope points. Antelope be in trouble this year.
Les Welch

Postby blackwolf » 12 03, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I have 5 points; holding out for good trophy unit down the road.
blackwolf

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Messerschmidt

Postby Z Barebow » 12 04, 2012 •  [Post 15]

I have 1 PP. General tag is sufficient. I am 1 for 2 on general tag (Archery)

I say general is fine because I screwed up and didn't apply at square 1) Not as many options between 1 and Max PP's. I am unit chasing in CO, that is enough ;)
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby tracker12 » 12 06, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Used up my 20 Points in CO this year so now its time to look towards WY. What is considered the top 3 draws in WY.
tracker12

Postby whitingja » 12 09, 2012 •  [Post 17]

. Check out the ferris mountains. Now one of the top areas. Better than area 7 which is on the decline. There are big bulls in 7, but alot of private.
whitingja

First Name: jason
Last Name: whiting

Postby eltaco » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 18]

I have one point for WY... woohoo!

Sounds like you outta draw this year, Paul! Let us know how it goes!
eltaco

Postby otcWill » 12 13, 2012 •  [Post 19]

I've got one point in Wyo and did my first trip there this year. It was awesome! No people and tons of elk! We had 2 bull tags and 2 cow tags and filled them all in a 4 day window! Nonstop action! I now have a special place in my heart for Wyoming
otcWill

Postby tracker12 » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Just checked and my Elk PPs are at 6 and 7 for deer. I have done no research at all in WY just been gathering points. Guess its time to do some research. What has been historically the better units?
tracker12

Postby elkohalic » 12 18, 2012 •  [Post 21]

I have 2 points for elk. Somehow missed buying a point 2 years ago LOL. Keep putting in for area 1 or 2, cant remember off hand. My elk hunting partner says its a gr8 area. He has the max amount of points and cant seem to draw it. I will maybe go hunt elk where the big bears call home this next fall.
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby BobcatJerry » 12 19, 2012 •  [Post 22]

My buddy and I have 7 each. We have tried to draw 6 years out of 7 with no success. One year I put in for a unit that would had 2 tags available after the residents as a first choice. Duh! Always tried the higher demand units, but never have drawn (except first 3 years, just tried to draw). I think I understand the draw system now, but with 7 points I feel I have to make it count on a great hunt in a great unit. Would like to get it back where I could draw every 3-4 years in a decent unit. Usually end up OTC in Idaho.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Postby Les Welch » 12 19, 2012 •  [Post 23]

BobcatJerry wrote:My buddy and I have 7 each. We have tried to draw 6 years out of 7 with no success. One year I put in for a unit that would had 2 tags available after the residents as a first choice. Duh! Always tried the higher demand units, but never have drawn (except first 3 years, just tried to draw). I think I understand the draw system now, but with 7 points I feel I have to make it count on a great hunt in a great unit. Would like to get it back where I could draw every 3-4 years in a decent unit. Usually end up OTC in Idaho.

If you want to hunt grizz country you can hunt some SUPER units with a couple points, beyond that you best bet is General Tag, if you want to hunt every few years. (General could be done every year at this point)
Les Welch

Postby Indian Summer » 12 20, 2012 •  [Post 24]

I have zero points.

I want to have my cake and eat it too so I'll be applying for the Special elk as my 2nd choice and gaining a point by choosing a really hard draw for my first.

I keep hearing so many negative things about 7 so I'm shying away from it. But I know that if anyone can skirt around the private land and other hunters it's me. Do I want to do that? No! Do I want a crack at some of the giant bulls there? Yes. Not to mention the fact that alot of the magazines will have the number of apps in 7 through the roof so I don't know???

Maybe I'll just pick a unit like 54/65 or 58 something with the words 350 or 360 bulls & grizzlies in the reviews and go for that. lolor

I can't imagine hunting an area that's twice as good as the General area I hunted last year.

All I know is bring on elk season!!!!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby TheBuzz » 12 25, 2012 •  [Post 25]

TheBuzz

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Hovorka

Postby Toby » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 26]

I have 4 points, but remain confused with their system. Can someone point me in the right direction to find something that explains their draw system?
Also, can you get a decent hunt through a General tag, and if so, how do you get one and any good units. Thanks.
Toby

Postby POk3s » 01 14, 2013 •  [Post 27]

I live here so I believe I can point you in somewhat of the right direction.

Here is the list of the drawing odds by unit:
http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departments/Hunting/pdfs/DRAW_ELK_PP_NONRES_20120001698.pdf

Here is the elk hunt area map:
http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/imgs/Elk_SummaryMap.pdf

In the drawing odd list the quota is shown in the top line as well as how many people drew that tag with that number of points.

For example Area 6 Type 1 shows that the nonresident quota is 7. 4 people put in for that tag with 5 preference points and they all drew. Leaving 3 remaining. One guy put in for that tag with 4 points and drew leaving 2 tags remaining. 5 people drew that tag showing that it was a party permit that drew the tag. A party can consist of up to 7 people all putting in at one time. If one person draws, everybody draws. A loophole in the system in this case. Tags are now all gone. Hope that helps. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Toby » 01 15, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Thanks Trent, sent you a p.m.
Toby