Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting Partners

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting Partners

Postby Coveyleader » 11 22, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Lets just say I've been through several partners over the years for better or worse but something always went south. One was always being tied to his wife, and the other pretty much the same but never scouted, drove, etc. He killed some nice animals but it was always in spots or setups I created for him and never wanted to explore on his own. The last straw was jealousy of animals I killed, and always needing to get the shot first in a calling sequence.

I'm a successful archer with all species and with that (not being arrogant) comes people with lesser success trying to hunt with you and at times you have to watch out for that. That doesn't seem to be the case with this guy. He's done very well over the years. I've been talking to him quite a bit as of late and he seems pretty compatible but as we all know, on the phone and in the field are two different things.

We've tenatively planned some things this winter along with a hunt where I will hunt one species, him another. Unlike the other guys he seems to be extending his hand out on species/spots he has aquired and had success over the years along with wanting to look for new areas together. I'm pretty excited about this new venture as I have a great elk area that could use two elk killed every year.

So what do you think? Take it slow prior to opening up about spots? Any other tips to finding that compatible long term partner?
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Re: Hunting Partners

Postby tracker12 » 11 22, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Good friends make the best hunting partners. It never works when competition is in the mix. And some of my best hunting partners are lousy hunters but they don;'t care and neither do I.
tracker12

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 11 22, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I answered what makes the perfect hunting partner for Bugle Magazine several months ago and they printed it. A good partner is like a marriage. If your not compatible, it's not going to last. I also had problems with partners in the 70's and 80's. Hard to plan trips when they back out at the last minute or jealousy when I connected on a elk and they did not. I met 2 brothers over 20 years ago in Colorado that were from Texas. We have been elk hunting together ever since and match up perfectly. We never have had a dispute and have always been there for each other no matter what. We always have fun no matter weather we fill our tags or not. The friendship and the memories we have made are priceless. Unfortunately 1 of them died in camp a few years ago and it has been very emotional the last couple of years. We spread his ashes on the ridge over a deep basin he loved in Colorado. My story of his passing was in Extreme Elk Magazine this month. Good hunting partners are hard to find and you will know when you do. Everything clicks. ;)
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Lefty » 11 22, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I have had one great hunting partner, 10 years younger, top fitness willing to go do what ever I wanted when-ever.

Most times its us. I have gotten older Im more forgiving of others mistakes, and mishaps.....but it I want to leave or stay or get up earleir I do it on my times
No one to blame except myself

Im heading out in the morning, my wife suggested that maybe I take someone,..I asked her what time I was leaving,.. She knows it would be on my schedule what ever that may be

Am I willing to partner up,... sure,,... well maybe,... sometime
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 11 22, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I prefer to be a little naive when it comes to trusting people, but I don't give away the farm on day one either. It should not take long to determine if an individual is a stand up guy, or one to leave behind.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 23, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Absolutely, go for it!!! There's nothing like a good hunting partner! There's no one on earth like Us!!!! Remember that! Don't put up standards or make it a competition in your mind that a partner MUST achieve to receive your approval. We are all different & have our pros & cons! It's like a marriage, in order to be successful there must be compromises on both ends! If we have the attitude that it's our way or no way & they do the same, then both will suffer & the partnership will dissolve.

I've had the same hunting partner for 23 years now! My Son! It takes adjustments on both sides to make this work, sure I get on his nerves now & then & he can get on mine! (grin) We work through it & never yell or scream at one another, we may adjust our way of thinking on a matter but try & not be hard headed or obstinate! Things can always be worked out when approached with the right mindset!

I hear ya about new guys & sharing hunting areas, take it slow! Start with scouting trips or just going over topos together & measure his interest & excitement from there! His dedication may not match yours but that's OK, you don't need a clone, you need a partner that shares your same enthusiasm but not necessarily the same dedication in all aspects!

I dare say that I could hunt with just about anyone on this Forum & enjoy myself immensely, I'm not looking for them to be like me or me like them, we just both would like to enjoy success & share the challenges that are a part of it! You can make it work! I wouldn't trade my hunting partner for anything!! Good Luck to you & let us know how it goes!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Orion » 11 23, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I have been fortunate to have had the same elk hunting partner for more than 25 years. We were both green when we started and have learned what we know together. We have had friends and family join us from time to time, but our partnership is what has withstood the test of time. Yes, we can get on each others nerves, but only to a slight degree. We hunt as a team, and we hunt solo. We will take each other to bulls, and everything we harvest is shared. We have never had the element of competition between us to deal with so that's a real plus. We started bow hunting this season so being the giving kind of guy I am, I have purchased darn near everything Paul has to offer in the way of videos, calls, and calling information. This is all for my partner...I want him to be the best caller he can be so when the bulls start screaming, my trusted partner is right behind me! I am lucky to have such a great and trusted hunting partner and friend.

Orion
Orion

Postby T/H » 11 23, 2012 •  [Post 8]

i've only hunted with someone else a couple times and i felt out of place and uneasy on 1 occasion which imho took away from my hunt.
T/H

Postby easeup » 11 23, 2012 •  [Post 9]

this one aint easy at al mr. covey.

Unfortunately I am a little tainted with having hunted many a year with those that just didnt click well with me.
so with that said I think I would take it slow to see how things play out. but not put the lid on a potential winner deal.
I have been hunting solo for the quite some time now and it does get old sometimes, especially in camp.

But this past September I took a rookie in for his first elk hunt. He responded in a splendid manner in all aspects of the hunt.
so maybe a bullet proof partner is in the future for me too.
easeup

Postby twinkieman » 11 23, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I agree that you have to be good friends to be good hunting partners.One of my best friends and I haver spent countless hours in either his truck or mine traveling to hunting locations. Once there we spend countless hours, at times together the wall tent. He does not have the same hunting skills I have, nor can he phsically get to places where I like to hunt, he does however, not become bothered at all when kill something, and he does not. He is always excited by anyone in our camp being successful. Another of my partners and I met in the back country of Idaho. One morning I bugled in the dark,got an answer, and I started heading in the bulls direction. As the dark began to turn to day, I saw another hunter in front of me.I cow called, he stopped and allowed me to catch up. When we were close enough to talk(very softly) he asked me if I had given the bugle that the bull responded to, and when I said I had, he said he would back off. That didn't seem right to me(we were down in the bottom of one of those holes that would take forever to get back out of), we ened up tag teaming the bull,I called he was the shooter,and no we did not get the bull. On our way back out he ended up being the caller, me the shooter, and the deed was repayed,(no shot on this bull either), then we went our separate ways. We ran into each other the next season exchanged phone numbers and than began to stay in touch. We tried, but didn't get together the following year. That fall I came across the ELKNUT dvd's and playbook. I phoned my back country friend, he got the materials, and then All of us were on the same page. Last year he was successful before I arrived in Idaho, but his hunt didn't end there. He stayed and was our caller and he called in multiple bulls using the ELKNUT ways and two more bulls were killed. This year we couldn't wait to hunt together again, I was successful early in the hunt and I called in bulls, one that was missed by my first partner, then for my Idaho friend that was not missed. Then the two of us helped my firswt friend together, but couldn't put it all together.
My point to this is one of my partners and live close together and have known each other for 40 years, my other partner( who can phsically hunt where I hunt), we live 700 miles apart and have only known each other for a few years, and now I, consider him to be one of my best friends, and we all have a great hunt together. We now have no secret spots we keep from one another,we hunt for each other, and we share our successes and failures together. You DO NOT have to be lifelong friends to be good partners, take a chance on your new partner, you will know soon enough if he is who you want to hunt with. If you are as lucky as I was, because of that day in the Idaho backcounty, you might not just get a hunting partner, you might just also get a friend for life.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby elkoholic » 11 24, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Paul you could have not put it in any better words!!! Searching for a hunting partner is a tough task,But when one starts making a competition out of it will only make it that harder to find a hunting partner. We all have different ways of doing things, you must learn to compromise. All of us that are married you know what I mean. You have to agree to disagree....

Good luck in your persute to happiness in mountains....
elkoholic

First Name: Chewy
Last Name: Swatzell

Postby Coveyleader » 11 25, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Good replies. Been reading online about finding partners and many talk about horror stories! Kind of like sending your wife or girlfriend to the autoshop for a "Tune Up".

We shall see where this heads. I have some great, I mean great OTC public spots and I'd hate to show another these places and then have it go sideways. I almost wonder if it would be better to look for new spots together, and then hunt those.

Anyways............ Long winter ahead.
Coveyleader

Postby Magic » 11 25, 2012 •  [Post 13]

I was with my partner and Son when he shot his first buck deer 37 years ago, and of course he was with me when I shot my last bull elk a month ago. We are now planning our 2013 Colorado elk trip. He will burn his PP's this year and I will be his "guide".
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 25, 2012 •  [Post 14]

"Kind of like sending your wife or girlfriend to the autoshop for a "Tune Up"--- LOL!!!

How true!!! I share many methods & tactics of use but draw the line at hunting spots! (grin) Good Luck!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby cnelk » 11 25, 2012 •  [Post 15]

a fishing trip or 2 with someone can really be beneficial to learn about someone.
lots conversation time, a little luck and some skilll to catch few fish.
you do many of the same things you do when you hunt.

just an idea
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Coveyleader » 11 26, 2012 •  [Post 16]

CN,

Funny, we have a few trips planned this winter. One or two overnighters. Sometime in the near future I'd like to talk to you about this past years elk hunt.
Coveyleader

Postby cnelk » 11 26, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Coveyleader wrote:CN,

Funny, we have a few trips planned this winter. One or two overnighters. Sometime in the near future I'd like to talk to you about this past years elk hunt.

Anytime...
im guessing my hunt?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby pointysticks » 11 26, 2012 •  [Post 18]

you all know about my last partner..sheesh.

my best companions are my brother and my bud Justin. just got off the phone with J and it looks like he may be able to go after Couse deer with us this Jan. us three work great together. no jealous feelings..just hoping for success for each other. Justin always offers me the first stalk..i have to refuse to force him into action.

one guy, "A", i think he was scared of the dark. he would light up every lantern and build these huge bonfires. we would run out of firewood on the second night. my brother brought him. all he ate was Dinty Moore can stew. never with us..just in his part of camp, shoveling away. weird guy.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby 6t4nova » 11 26, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Best of luck with the potential hunting partner. Hope it works out for you. I'd give it a little bit of time before opening up about honey holes. You can learn a lot about a hunting partner when they are put in situations where animals are scarce, conditions change, etc. That's when true character comes out. Better to figure it out early than when you are out on on a hunt. Don't ask how I know....
6t4nova