Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What are you prepared to do?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 21, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I'm a huge movie buff as my friends will attest to. In The Untouchables, Sean Connery asked Kevin Costner "what are you prepared to do" throughout the movie including the scene when he had been bushwacked and was on his death bed. I ask you, my fellow elk hunters, "what are you prepared to do" to increase your chances at harvesting that bull next September when the hills are ringing with singing elk? Will you work on your calling/elk sound interpretation more.. make the time to scout the target areas you may hunt more... get in better shape than you were this year... choose a better hunting partner that shares your passion for wapiti hunting..? What are you prepared to do between now and when you step into the elk woods next fall? RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: What are you prepared to do?

Postby twinkieman » 11 21, 2012 •  [Post 2]

The list could be long, but I'll keep it short. #1. I didn't have time, or a previous hunt to get into mountain shape this year, and I had to hunt myself into shape this season. Next year, and I have already begun preparing for next Sept.. I won't have to hunt myself into shape in 2013. #2 More practice on my calling, this wasn't a problem this season, but I can always improve. #3. Shoot my bow all year round. I could add more, but these are my top three priorities.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby LckyTylr » 11 22, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I was in really good elk condition last year, but this year I'll be an ANIMAL!
I'm either going to order Elknut's playbook and a CD or two or ask for them for Christmas.
I'll have at least 3 different locations picked out with elk in them that are several miles from each other so a FIRE doesn't screw me over, AGAIN!

I guess to make it simple, by the time August 30th gets here, there won't be anything that I haven't done to ensure success. 2013, it's either going to happen or the Wapiti Gods just won't smile on me.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby slim9300 » 11 22, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Get back on a daily shooting routine for the three months before the season. Shooting a few times a week isn't enough apparently.
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby eltaco » 11 22, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I need to spend some time finding an area for late season. It took me three years to realize that my area is consistently great the first week, and then the elk move out. Last year I was very satisfied in my calling and shooting capabilities, and feel that i have my area pretty well dialed in, but I need to learn when to move on when having a hard time finding them in my go-to areas.

I also need to focus on hunting with one or two dedicated elk hunters. I've hunted with family the last two seasons, and we've had fun, but it has undoubtedly hurt our success when only 1 out of 4 of us has any elk knowledge or calling ability. I would love to keep hunting with family, but really need to stress to them the importance of learning calling and studying elk behavior.

I already suspect that I will have to cut my time in the field next season. Going to have to get things together in a much shorter timeframe next year.

Every year I learn more about elk hunting. I absolutely love it!
eltaco

Postby T/H » 11 22, 2012 •  [Post 6]

slim9300 wrote:Get back on a daily shooting routine for the three months before the season. Shooting a few times a week isn't enough apparently.

why Conlan..... you sound like it's becoming a chore to shoot your bow. verrrrrrrry uncharacteristic of you!
T/H

Postby Swede » 11 22, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I am not going to do much. I will scout some new territory and improve my equipment some. I may hold out a little longer for a big bull. We will see how I feel about that next summer.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 23, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Good question! Goals are great to set & even more challenging to accomplish, nice thing is to custom fit them to us personally! We do not want to compare ourselves to others & do what they do! Too many factors will vary such as age & health!

I want to maintain my physical stature & abilities, this means working out year around for me then upping the cardio part of it come May through Aug. I like doing this with running a bit over a mile with 3-4 100yd sprints in that distance. Then carry a pack 3--3 1/2 miles 3 days a week. With this added to my normal workout weekly it helps me to hunt hard with few limitations!

Going to more 3D shoots this year is in order this year as well.

Calling is always at the top of the list too!

I have an area that needs thinning out that I want to go into in July & punch a negotiable trail too, this takes work but it could really pay off come Sept.

I'm sure there's more but it's a start in the right direction!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Orion » 11 23, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I need to be in better shape for the upcoming season. As I get older, I find it more difficult to do some simple things that I overlook as I get ready for the season. Bending, stooping, and kneeling are getting to be more challenging. Being on my knees for any length of time was uncomfortable for me this year. I will practice more from a kneeling position, and spend a bit more time in the woods prior to the season to get those seldom used muscles into better shape when I need them. Cutting trails and scouting some new ground will help. Maybe I need to take yoga? I think not.....I have another plan to help up my odds of sticking a big bull this year. As I mentioned on another thread, I am buying my hunting partner everything Paul offers in the way of videos, and calls to help my partner be the best caller he can be!
Orion
Orion

Postby elkoholic » 11 24, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Calling Would be my number one! But also to be in tip top shape, doing more cardio then I do now. I work out everyday, but I want to push that to the next level. I'm like all of us on this forum, I'm willing to do what ever it takes to get it done and have the best hunt I can set myself up for.

I my number one goal would be calling and right next to that is cardio. Coming in right behind cardio is to keep shooting at least 50 arrows aday from now until next September
elkoholic

First Name: Chewy
Last Name: Swatzell

Postby easeup » 11 24, 2012 •  [Post 11]

go to Montana if I have to ........to get a tag somewhere that the elk are bugling!
easeup

Postby MTLongdraw » 11 25, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I've got some plans to make things better. No particular order here.

Need to find a new area around home--something nobody else wants to go into.
Have my grandpa build me a one wheeled game cart. Sounds like my wifes uncle that I hunted with this year isn't going back in this year. That means I need to figure out a way to get my camp and everything I need for 3-4 in. Then I want to have a way to get an elk out if I get one. Well rather than walking out 9 miles one quarter at a time. I think the one wheeled game cart is the answer.
Shoot, shoot, shoot.
Work OT to buy the gear I want--this could effect the top 3 :D
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby T/H » 11 25, 2012 •  [Post 13]

last year i started working out in January. being a year older i am going to start tomorrow. i joined the Gym membership this past weekend
T/H

Postby one_elk » 11 26, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Practice Calling
Spend more time scouting
Patience, develop my ability to be more patient
Maintain and improve my fitness level and do more stretching…oh and do more core strength work
one_elk

Postby hornart » 11 28, 2012 •  [Post 15]

I have elk hunted on crutches twice, not riding around either, I crutched out 3 miles by myself with my backpack and rifle and then crutched back to camp after a failed stalk on a cow elk, I still saw more elk than the rest of the other hunters in our group, I`m prepared to do whatever it takes to put an elk on the ground, I work at staying in shape all year long
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith

Postby MT_Nate » 11 28, 2012 •  [Post 16]

I have a similar goal to one of Elknut's listings:

"I have an area that needs thinning out that I want to go into in July & punch a negotiable trail too, this takes work but it could really pay off come Sept."

I found 3 new areas this year (post-rut) that hands-down blow away any rut, active wallowing, and overall elk sign I've found in the past 10 years. Even better is the fact that they're less than a 30-minute drive from my home. The problem being that access into them is horrible...stacked alders and buck brush until you can't take it any more. Currently, there's no possible way you could sneak in there pre-dawn without alerting every animal within 1/2 mile. Hiking in there with a good hand saw in summer and a few available hours could pay off huge, allowing a silent approach, and likely create an avenue the elk will use to traverse in and out of the area.

Shooting often and calling practice are too much fun...I usually don't have to reserve time for this as it will happen whether I like it or not!
MT_Nate

Postby Heartwood » 12 01, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I'm prepared to continue working on improving my calling and enter a few calling comps to gain some exposure to making elk sounds in higher pressure situations. I really enjoy practicing calling so this will not be difficult ,I just want to continue to improve making realistic elk sounds.
My fitness goal for 2013 ( oh no it's almost here!) is to get through winter without gaining the usual 15 pounds and get an earlier start on the real workouts.
Be in reasonable hiking shape by turkey season then build on this with a rotating schedule of mt. Biking, running and backpacking through the summer.Run
one 5k and one 10k in July and August. Do some interval training on the track to improve recovery time. Work on weight training this winter mixed with snowshoeing and in bad weather ,stair master. For me elk hunting has become the major motivator in maintaining a level of fitness.
Archery goals are to shoot 5 days a week and do 4 3d shoots. Also,a new bow is in the works for 2013.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle