Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

utah le any weapon tag gun or bow?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

utah le any weapon tag gun or bow?

Postby realunlucky » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Ok here is the deal finally drew a boulder any weapon tag after waiting 18 long years to hunt this unit. Its the the 15th /23rd of sept this year witn a new moon on the 15th this should be the prefect storm with some cool weather. I havent gun hunted in 15 years or so and always thought this would be a bow hunt. Ive hunted this unit a couple time in mid sept and know it can be done witha bow but the big bulls seem to hang in the thick stuff where weaving an arrow through isnt an option. My goal isnt to take the largest bull on the mountain but i also realize that thia is most likely a oil tag and truely my best chance at a big bull. Add in the fact that my family and 2 buddies are joining me makes this a rather large group to be sneaking around even if 4 hang back and caller and i setup in front. This is a great unit to call bulls in and with low cow they tend to come more often than not only to hang up showing an eye ball and front tine at 30 yards:-) everyone wants to run and gun and see lots of elk and it seems to put more pressure on me. Im surprised how much pressure i fill after drawing so many expectations all around. I have points in colorado and wyoming and know ill draw a another archery tag even though it will be on a lesser unit. Do i just cave and take the rifle or man up and go archery. What would you do?
realunlucky

Re: utah le any weapon tag gun or bow?

Postby BowElkDwn » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Is it an option to have one of the other four guys pack a gun for you and you go after them with a bow. Then if you happen to run into the big guy that just won't come in you'll have some back up.
BowElkDwn
ElkNut Pro Staff

Postby realunlucky » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I have looked and believe it is legal for me to have both weapons on me at the same time.
realunlucky

Postby buglmin » 06 14, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Congrats on a great tag!! Youre a lucky man. Utah is a great place to hunt, and you never know what kind of bull will come into your call...when we drew in Utah, we hunted the same area for a week, working the same bulls. We were able to tell the bulls by their bugles...so with that in mind, why not chase them with a bow for a while before switching to a gun?
Personally, with that tag in my pocket and a gun in my hand, I would be pretty choosy when it came time to pull the trigger...Good luck, and have fun
buglmin

Postby Buckriser » 06 18, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I'd go gun. IMO 18 yrs is a long time to go and than eat tag soup.
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser