Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Maybe I'm nuts but....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Maybe I'm nuts but....

Postby POk3s » 11 18, 2012 •  [Post 1]

This year I was getting to the point where I could tell the smell of "elk scent" vs "smelling elk". What I mean by this is I would get to a spot where elk are living. Either it's their bedding area or they fed through there earlier in the morning. Something along those lines. Elk had been there scent was lingering. Then I would get to a point where I was smelling elk. Th elk were there and I just couldn't see them...yet, and then I would have some kind of an encounter. It might have been elk thundering through the deadfall but I knew they were there. 2 very similar scents, but still different. The question is, am I crazy or has anyone else experienced this to be true. Best I can describe it is "old elk scent" is a stink. We've all smelled it and basically is just the smell of urine. "Smelling elk" is more of a musk. They are right there and you're smelling THE elk.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Re: Maybe I'm nuts but....

Postby Swede » 11 19, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Sure you can smell elk. The scent will last several days in places where they have been urinating. I notice that especially around well used water holes, but bedding areas are the same. Of coarse just because you are right on the elk scent thing, does not mean you are not crazy. My wife thinks I am, just for wanting to spend so much time out hunting and living like I do in August and September. LOL
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby POk3s » 11 19, 2012 •  [Post 3]

That's true I am crazy....I was really just trying to figure out if people noticed the difference in smell between "old elk scent" and actually smelling THE ELK.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby POk3s » 11 19, 2012 •  [Post 4]

NOPE! We're slowly figuring out the difference by descriptive terms that really make no sense. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby twinkieman » 11 19, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I don't think you are nuts, however, I do believe you have a better sense of smell than most people. :D
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Swede » 11 19, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I may be nuts too, but I believe the scent of the elk disappears within hours even in enclosed timber, but the odor of their urine lasts. I believe urine is urine for the most part, so the smell of an elk herd is the same as a cattle herd. I have never had elk lay around a water hole for hours like a herd of cattle will, so the cattle smell will often be stronger and last longer too.
Swede

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 19, 2012 •  [Post 7]

You're all nuts! (huge grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby POk3s » 11 19, 2012 •  [Post 8]

:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Swede » 11 19, 2012 •  [Post 9]

You are right Paul, but who cares? We are all still smiling as though we had good sense and we are all friends.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 19, 2012 •  [Post 10]

It's a good smell for sure. Reminds me of the Bruce Willis movie where the little kid said... "I smell elk.. I smell them all the time".. I may be a bit off on the quote :)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby T/H » 11 19, 2012 •  [Post 11]

when i smell a barnyard in the elkwoods and fresh sign all over the place i go into sensory overload :)
T/H

Postby easeup » 11 20, 2012 •  [Post 12]

the dairies down here dont smell like elk at all to me. they smell like cow sh!!. they stink.
Elk have that musky smell topped w/ p!ss and amonia.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
easeup